>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg 500 Persuader Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Mossberg 500 Persuader Reviews

Postby czdude » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:23 pm

i dont think that none of you guys own this great gun.where are the comments?
czdude

Postby DAT » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:50 pm

I tell you what czdude I had two of these from 18 to 20 yrs. old. But I was young, and dumb. I sold one, and my brother stole the other one. But don't worry I'll be gettin another one here in the next few months! Pistol grip and all again!
DAT

Postby fuzzy1911 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:09 pm

I have one and let me tell you it is a work horse iv,e put about1000 rounds through it no prob. I love my shotty iuse pistol grip and sometimes i use full stock it's great ether way
fuzzy1911

Postby Torque » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:59 am

This thing is my baby. I know there is nicer out there but I like this one. Only one thing about it for me. When I shoot 00 buck through it, the bolt sometimes opens without pumping it back.
Torque

Postby wiggins » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:16 am

The Model 500 is a hell of a gun for the price. My first shotty was a 20 gauge field model and it was a trooper. I have a persuader now and it needs to have the internals polished, but it is a solid gun. Sometimes I have to rack the slide back hard to get it to pop in a new round. I am sure if I polished all the internals it would work better. Not bad for what I paid for it though.
wiggins

Postby czdude » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:02 pm

my freind has a benili super black eagle and i have the mossberg we took them to the range and now he wants mine
czdude

Postby Artie_runs » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:33 pm

We went and shot this at a local range as a rental. First time shooting any shotgun and loved it. Plowed the same hole in the paper targets at about 25 feet using low-recoil self-defense 00-buck loads. My wife had no problems doing the same, save for the bruised shoulder after about 20 rounds. The theories on an inexpensive self/home-defense shotgun favor the Remington 970 or the Mossberg 500; I like the mossberg better (having not shot the remington) due to the location of the safety and the bolt release. At about $300 you can't do much better, and if you want to dress it up with lights and lasers those are readily available. A surefire flashlight with a tailcap switch mounted on the side of the barrel would probably do the trick. Anyway, great tool for the money.
Artie_runs

Postby ShootSS » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:31 am

I have both the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge. Both are the 18 inch barrel, home defense model. Both shoot very well, no jamming, loading or ejection problems. I like the matte black finish on the Remington better than the blued finish on the Mossberg, but that is the only thing about the Remington I like better. The Mossberg is lighter, and as Artie noted, the safety and bolt release is in a much more logical and user friendly place. Because the Mossberg is lighter, one probably would not want to take it to the range for a day (wear your shoulder out sooner), but for home defense, one dose of 00 Buck should be all the shooting you have to do.

Upon further review, racking back the slide on the Remington does seem to be a little more menacing, more throaty, something. But I don't think the intruder on the business end of your Mossberg 500 is going to start laughing when you rack it back though.
ShootSS

Postby Artie_runs » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:18 am

We decided on the 20" 12-ga 8+1 capacity Mossberg, and we got the parkerized finish which seemed tougher, a bit heavier but better balanced than the blued model. The only mod I wanted for it was a good weaponlight. The Surefire foregrip was just too cost prohibative and I didn't like the idea of a wired remote-switch underbarrel setup. I think I found a pretty good arrangement for under $70. I installed the aftermarket weaver rail atop the receiver ($10) and some high 1" scope rings ($20). I chose the Streamlight Scorpion ($30) because it just fit between the rings (you could probably get away with one ring if it was tight enough around the light). I just had to put a bit of rubber grip tape between the rings and the flashlight for a tight enough fit. You can't really use the sights properly because of the height of the flashlight but I'm happy with it. It's a very natural movement to flip off the safety and activate the endcap switch. Besides providing effective target identification it gives a really good stun effect in total darkness. I'm a little concerned about recoil messing up the bulb but I fired 10 rounds of 00 buck without any problems, so it will probably hold up. My other Scorpion has certainly proven tough enough. I'm very happy with the gun overall and I feel good about it being the primary home defense firearm.
Artie_runs

Postby ShootSS » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:07 am

Sorry folks, I put my two cents in, then forgot to vote.
ShootSS

Next

Return to Shotguns