>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg 500 Field Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 pm

I intend to take her to get refinished in stainless cerakote tomorrow which should take about 4 weeks to complete. I am also having the gunsmith install a Vang Comp Systems Metal ambidextrous safety and a tacstar side saddle. For now here it is with the following parts installed.

Front and Rear ghost ring sights

18.5 inch barrel

Black John Masen Tactical heatshield

Choate black synthetic forend pump

Blackhawk Spec Ops Knoxx stock (6 position adjustable)

Blackhawk Power pack shell carrier with cheek riser

Blackhawk rubberized grip

Winchester PDX1 bonded 2 3/4 00 buck/slug combo shells

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx10 ... 0_0353.jpg
dsclaiborne31

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:19 pm

I took the gun to get refinished today. Unfortunately the guy was out of stainless and I didnt want to wait a week and a half for more to come in so I settled for OD Green.
dsclaiborne31

Postby Blueridgeman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I have the 20ga 18.5" bbl 5+1 version. It came with standard stock and pistol grip. I've never used the pistol grip, however.

I really like the ability to change barrels so easily. I put a 24" bbl that can accept chokes and had my wife shooting trap with it.

Very versatile.
Blueridgeman

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:59 am

@blueridgeman

I still havent gotten mine back yet. It sucks.
dsclaiborne31

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:27 am

Here she is refinished in OD Green Cerakote. Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville did the refinishing. The following parts are installed.

18.5" Barrel with front and rear ghost ring sights

John Masen Black Polymer Heatshield

Choate Black Synthetic Forend

Vang Comp Systems Metal Safety

Tacstar 6 shot side saddle

Blackhawk Spec Ops Knoxx Stock

Blackhawk powerpak with cheek riser and ammo carrier

Blackhawk rubberized grip

Quake Industries "The Claw" OD green Tactical Sling

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/tnxdshooter/M500BlackhawkSpecopsstock3.jpg

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/tnxdshooter/M500tacstarsidesaddlepic.jpg
dsclaiborne31

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:44 am

That is a beautiful shotgun!! I like the ghost ring sight, what do you think of it after trying it out? Nice gun!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:59 am

I dont know tig. I havent shot it yet. The ghost rings didnt come on it. It is getting sighted in as i type this. I am to pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday of this next week. I can say that I have shouldered the weapon and the knoxx sighted to high. I put a stock drop spacer in there and she lines up good now. Looking down the ghost rings i really like em. I like the ati talon tactical stock better which I also have to try out and which ever I like best I will keep. The ati gives more of a cheek rest.

Basically I initially bought a ghost ring sight kit part 95300 from mossberg. Then I found out all the local gun smiths wanted 200.00 to silver solder and refinish. I said to heck with that. Called mossberg and ordered part number 95303 which was an 18.5" barrel with ghost ring pre-soldered on from the factory and came with a rear ghost ring to go with it. Cost 134.00 total. Less than what it would have been to have it silver soldered on.

Predator OD cerakoted it for me for 165.00 buck I thought was a good deal. Their turn around time was right at two weeks. It is the bake on kind not the air cure crap kind. Also, it is a tough finish. I wasnt aware how neat it was. I took it to get it sighted and noticed as I was talking to the guy that the mag tube had scratches on it where the forend was sliding back and forth from the forend nut. I kid you not I was able to rub those scratches out with my finger. It was the damndest thing I had ever seen.
dsclaiborne31

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:57 pm

Well the gunsmith got sick (just my luck) and hasnt gotten to it yet. So I would say tomorrow or Friday before I get it back.
dsclaiborne31

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:22 pm

I got it back from the gun smith today. I plan to shoot it Saturday. It looked pretty well sighted in.
dsclaiborne31

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:40 pm

Shoots very well. POA puts it right where I aim. I sawed a couple of b-27 targets nearly in half just for fun.
dsclaiborne31

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns