>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Remington Model 870 Express Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Remington Model 870 Express Reviews

Postby dirk911 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:15 am

I have the super magnum and its the most reliable gun I own!

The only thing it dosent like is cheap low brass shells. Other then that it is the glock of shotguns, I have put mine through more harsh weather and abuse than any gun should handle and its still my most reliable.
dirk911

Postby Ky-Glockman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:13 am

I own an 870, have had it for years. Used to be my main hunting shotgun. It has been one tuff gun, definitely recomended!!
Ky-Glockman

Postby KBintheSLC » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:47 pm

I have the 870 Express... assault style, short barrel with 6 round capacity. I have had it for about 6 months... and 300 rounds of ammo. I really love this gun. I can blast off all 6 rounds very fast, and make a complete mess of anything on the receiving end.

This is my primary home defense gun since I live in an apartment (minimizing over-penetration with #4 or #8 game loads). It is very reliable... just make sure you cycle the pump hard and fast to ensure proper ejection. The gun has never misfired so far with any ammo (I have used mostly Remington, Federal, and Fiocci).

It is also very easy to disassemble, and there are many accessories and upgrades available that work on this chassis. I could not ask for more in this price range. Solid, reliable, well designed, and very affordable. Paid $270 for it new. Worth every penny.
KBintheSLC

Postby ShootSS » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:19 am

This is a great gun. It is on the heavy side, but I like the balance and feel. Soaks up recoil pretty well too. I have the 18 inch home defender model, in matte black, 6 + 1 shot shell capacity.

If you promise not to laugh, I took this thing skeet shooting, and never missed. I even shot doubles, so it cycles quickly, with no misfires or jamming.

When I first brought it home, I placed a 30 inch wooden target the same distance as the number of steps as it is from my bedroom door to my front door. Put 10 of 12 00 Buck pellets in the wood. Darn. Have to patch some dry wall that way. Maybe I'll switch to 9 pellet 00 Buck. >grin<

I got it because one of the gun magazines rated it the best home defender, and that it is. Sits right by my nightstand, waiting for some fool to start messing with my home or family. I paid $195 for it and I hope I never have to use it, but it is a REAL nice insurance policy if I ever have to.
ShootSS

Postby KBintheSLC » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:42 pm

Shootss...

Im glad your are enjoying your 870... I have the same "insurance policy" for my home...

I noticed that you wrote 6+1 on your review. FYI... this gun is not made to safely leave a round chambered for long periods of time. There is no safe way to drop the hammer and there is not a safety mechanism built into the firing pin. The only safety is for the trigger which wont help you if the gun gets dropped or tipped over accidentally. Remember, this is a SAO trigger system with no hammer control... unlike a Glock or other DAO trigger systems, it is very dangerous when there is a round chambered... even with the safety on. That being said, I wouldn't chamber a round until you are ready to destroy something. Have fun with her.
KBintheSLC

Postby ShootSS » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:30 am

Hey KB,

I never leave one in the tube for any reason, not sure why I wrote the 6 + 1. Probably because I saw that somewhere. I figured I had better respond as well--don't want to give the wrong message to anyone, especially the newbies. I'll shoulder this one. I'd rather have the veterans laugh at me than give someone the wrong info.

Thanks for holding my feet to the fire. >grin<
ShootSS

Postby JJJJJJJMMMMMMMTTTTT » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:09 pm

Im lookin at a remington 870 7 in the tube 1 in the hole with a folding stock and pistol grip brand new. is 410.00 too much?
JJJJJJJMMMMMMMTTTTT

Postby SamFisher » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:27 pm

I wish I could afford the Marine issue of the 870. It's my favorite of the bunch. :'(
SamFisher

Postby Longhorn2923 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:47 pm

Longhorn2923

Postby lukeweese03 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:38 pm

I love my 870... took it to shoot skeet for my first time... i almost doubled what my dad hit. Highly Recommended!
lukeweese03

Next

Return to Shotguns