>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Remington Model 870 Express Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby Patriot1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:49 pm

They don't have an option for the 870 Tactical so I'll post here if you guys don't mind. I've had my 870 Tactical for over a year now, put hundreds of rounds through it with no problems. Well made, easy to clean, good price, made in America... you can't go wrong with a Rem 870.
Patriot1

Postby LHall1025 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm a retired LEO with 33 yrs of experience. I was trained on the 870 Wingmaster, folding stock. Loved the weapon. I recently purchased a used wingmaster and had the Mako folding, collapsible adjustable stock installed. I chose the wingmaster because of the way Remington assembly control and its all metal parts. Its an easy, simple shotgun to use. No fuss no muss.
LHall1025

Postby rj45 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:45 pm

i just purchased the 870 express with gray laminate stock. i had a hard time ejecting rounds at first, now she runs perfect it just needed to be broken in. i could not find online a 870 with gray laminate stock this gun must be rae? dose anyone know about this gun?
rj45

Postby ulgydog56 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:33 pm

since its intro over 10,000,000 870s have been made so i would say not......but that tells you something about how much the 870 is loved....
ulgydog56

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:47 pm

RJ, have you contacted Remington customer services about that gray stock? Along with the serial number they'll be able to provide that information quickly. Good luck!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Hasiansd » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:47 pm

I recently purchased the 870 express with wood stock. It is very reliable and does not jam on many loads. I recomend this firearm to any type of hunter. Great buy!!!
Hasiansd

Re: Remington Model 870 Express Reviews

Postby GOANRA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Differences between the Remington 870 express model home defense shotgun and the Remington 870 police shotgun:

The 870 Express Model has:
A plastic trigger plate assembly
Dimples in the magazine tube and the new style plastic magazine retention system, EXCEPT on the extended magazine versions, which do NOT have the dimples
A rougher finish inside and outside, with some additional machine marks
A rougher, bead blasted parkerization
A less polished bore
Hardwood or synthetic stock, with a sporting-length fore end and pressed-in checkering
The Defense version has 18″, Cylinder bore barrel, with a bead sight
The Marine Magnum and Tactical models have plated or polymer finishes
Metal Injection Molded (MIM) extractor

The 870 Police has:
An aluminum trigger plate assembly
The old style magazine retention system
A much smoother finish inside and out, no machine marks or burrs
The Police gun receives a higher level 23 point inspection and finishing built in a special area of the plant for police models only
A military-grade parkerized finish
A polished bore
A one piece barrel
Walnut or synthetic stock, with a short police-length fore end
The Remington “R3” super recoil pad that reduces felt recoil by 54%
Choices in different stocks, including Speed-feed, and others
18″ improved cylinder barrel, with a wider choice of sights, including rifle, ghost ring, and luminous
Police options like magazine extenders, forearms with built-in lights, and sling swivels
Heavier-duty magazine spring.
Heavier-duty trigger-sear spring (older model police only)
New police models have same sear spring as all remington shotguns
Heavier-duty carrier dog spring
Sling swivel mounts
No use of MIM parts, the extractor is milled steel

The 'Express' model can be upgraded with a heavier sear spring and a heavier carrier dog spring, a machined extractor and a stronger magazine follower spring.
However the 'Police' model will still have a higher quality milled receiver and an aluminum trigger plate with a few other minor advantages as mentioned above.

As an LE Firearm Instructor, I have trained countless Recruits, re-quals, and Tactical Shotgun courses on the 870 Police model for many years, but no experience with the 'Express' model.
Oddly, my personal SGs have always been various Mossberg models.

LE seems to prefer the 870, while the Military seems to prefer the Mossberg. Go figure.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Previous

Return to Shotguns