>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Benelli Cordoba Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Benelli Cordoba Reviews

Postby Skipjack68 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:25 pm

I recently purchased a Benelli 12 GA Cordova with 30 barrel to take to Uruguay SA on a dove hunt trip. It has a ported barrel, extended chokes and the new Confort Tech Stock. It has a matt finish and symthetic stock. My main concern was how much it would kick and if it would handle light loads for dove hunting. I belong to the local skeet club and I have been testing the gun on skeet. The instruction book suggested that the gun be broken in by firing 3 or 4 boxes of heavy loads. I bought some 3 3/4 heavy hunting loads and I was releived to find that although I felt that I was shooting heavy loads, the kick was less than I expected. After running 3 boxes of heavy loads, I found the gun to fit me well, was lighter than my Remington 1187 and I managed to shoot well with the heavy loads on skeet. Some of my friends shot the gun as well and they all agreed that the Confort Tech stock was pleasent to shoot. One friend had a new Benelli Leagecy with out the Confort Tech stock and he said it was much better on kick.

I have now shot about 12 boxes of ammo at skeet. I have shot 2 3/4 and 3 dram light loads and the gun is a pleasure to shoot. I generally adverage 22 targets per round, sometimes better and sometimes worse. At first I had problems on the #2 station and the #8 station where the target comes straight over head at you. At first I blamed the long barrel, as I would have rather had a 28 barrel. I have since overcome the problem and realized that I was not covering the target, but leading it and now I have no problems with #8. I had some 22/23 rounds with the Benelli, but then my rounds with my Beretta 20 GA seemed to go down the tube. Something different in the feel of the guns. Last week I had 48/50 rounds with the Benelli, but did not do well with my 20 Ga behind the Benelli. Yesterday, I had another 48/50 with the Benelli and then had a 25 with my 20 GA Browning over under, so that will be my back up gun going to SA.

I really like the Benelli Cordova. I bought a 20 GA Benelli about 4 years ago and took it back and exchanged it for the Beretta. It kicked too hard to suit me. This 12 GA kicks less than my Beretta 20 Ga and I have a mercury weight in the Beretta stock. Last year I took the Beretta and the Browning O/U to Uruguay, but the 20 GA shells were in short supply and we ended up shooting duck loads #5 and it hurt my shooting. I am looking forward to using the Benelli Cordova 12 GA this year!

The take down on the Benelli Cordova is real neat. When the barrel is removed, the top half of the receiver can be lifted off and the bolt is exposed. A pull-out pin releases the firing pin and spring and another pull-out seperates the rotating bolt head, for easy cleaning. Since there is no gas blow back, the magazine tube only has a spring and does not get dirty, an important feature in Uruguay where last year, I shot over 4000 times in four days. All guns were cleaned each evening.

So if you are interested in a new shotgun, I think you would find the Benelli with the Confort Tech system a gun to consider. I have a friend who wants a soft shooting gun also and he is waiting for the new Remington. I like the fact that the Benelli recoil system has been around a while and has a good reputation for holding up in high volume shooting. I have shot Remingtons in SA and I have several now, but I always took parts with me and on most trips they came in handy. So far, I am in love with my new Cordova.

Skipjack68
Skipjack68

Postby Grif » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:13 am

WHO MAKES A TURKEY CHOKE FOR THE CORDOBA?
Grif

Postby Russ_Bell » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:33 am

I shot a new Cordoba 20 ga in Argentina in 2005 - it was not a good experience. I know that people say good things about these guns, but the gun I was shooting jammed very frequently. I switched to another gun - same result. Both were new. I ended up shooting some off-brand Over and under 12 ga for 5000 shells in three days. My shoulder was pretty screwed at the end of the hunt. I did manage to drop about 3800 birds, despite the recoil and purple shoulder. The guns were clean, but I did not disassemble them to see what the issues were - there were doves in the air, so I left that to the guides.
Russ_Bell

Postby Skipjack68 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:19 am

February 5, 2007

I received an email that said I had a reply to my posting on the 12 GA Cordova Benelli Auto that I bought to take to Uruguay, SA. A friend that saw the message said the poster wanted to know how the gun performed in South America on the dove hunting trip. I could not find the reply, but I will take this opportunity to report on my trip, the first week in December, 2006.

I was impressed with the new 12 GA Benelli and started looking for the new Benelli Model 2 in 20 GA that was just introduced with the new Comfort Tech stock to also take to S.A.. I called around and none of the Benelli dealers that I got off the Benelli web page had the new 20 GA. My local Benelli dealer said it would be another 4 to 6 weeks before he got one in. Then a friend called me from a new Gander Mountain that just opened in Lake Mary, FL and said they had two in stock with the Comfort Tech stock. I rushed down (75 miles) and bought one, getting the new opening discount and a credit card discount too. I packed both guns for my trip to Uruguay.

The shooting consisted of two situations: shooting over large wheat fields and shooting low thorny tree cover along the Rio Negro River that the birds would fly to roost. The nesting (year around) birds would fly back and forth all day long, from the roost to the fields and back. We shot about 3 to 3.5 hours in the morning and around 3 hours in the evening. I found the 12 GA Benelli with the 30 inch barrel worked best in the open fields where we had a lot of high flyers. I shot the modified choke all the time. I quickly found that the 20 GA worked better in the roost area as there was a lot of snap shooting at darting birds. The 20 GA is very light and the 26 inch barrel was faster pointing. The 12 GA reminded me of shooting a 20 GA using target loads, as the kick was very light. The 20 GA Benelli Model 2 with the new stock was like shooting a 410. Both barrels got quite hot. I had no malfunctions on the 12 GA and maybe four or five times on the 20 GA a shell would stay in the loading ramp and I tapped it with the next shell I was loading the shell would chamber as I pushed a new one into the magazine. The only negative, on the 20 GA, the receiver was so narrow, and the magazine spring quite strong, that pushing so many shells into the magazine was hard on my right thumb. I taped my thumb and also wore gloves.

One of my friends was shooting a new Model 2 12 GA and the dealer that sold it to him suggested a magazine extension tube and that was a mistake. He had a problem with the tube mounting bracket loosening up and at one time the barrel was so hot, the plastic on the shell in the chamber melted and he had a hard time clearing it out. I never had that problem, but the shooting is fast and the barrels get hot!

I feel that between us, my pick-up guide and myself, we got a fairly accurate count on the doves that were knocked down, as we used a counter and I entered the count when he went for cokes. Some hunters, the pick-up guides kind of develop an average and assign a number based on the number of shell the hunter shot. Others just guessed at the number and in one case of a friend, I know he was way low. I wanted as accurate a number we could come up with for my own shooting average.

On this trip I shot 7 cases of 20 boxes plus 4 boxes. That comes to 3600 shells in 4 days and I knocked down 2135 doves (and a few pigeons), which gave me an shooting average of +/- 59.3 %. One morning I only shot 10 boxes and on my last afternoon, I shot 750 times in 2.5 hours and knocked down 426 doves, my best shoot.

In our group of seven hunters, I was 4th in the number of shells shot. I figure our group reduced the dove population 16 to 17K. These are local, non migrating doves. There were about 4 different types of doves, most large, some small. We were told there were 4 Million doves in the area and they eat a lot of grain.

Trip cost ran from $3500 to $4000, depending on how many shells you shot at $190 a case (Italian target loads). We got one free case with the trip. I have been to SA several times on dove hunts. This was one of the best and most enjoyable trips, as the accommodations and food were great. Our host, Hector Sarasola was most gracious.

I know this was a long post, but I thought the information might be helpful to anyone considering making the trip. On return, we shot our local dove field. Eight hunters got about 30 doves. Yes, we were back home!

Skipjack68
Skipjack68

Postby Russ_Bell » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:49 am

Speaking or Argentina doves, one more thing - my wife was also shooting a Beneli Cordoba and it was also jamming at about the same frequency as my Cordoba. One thing that everyone needs to know, the ammo in Argentina is provided by the guide - it is usually locally supplied and manufacturerd and it is also usually CRAP. It is very dirty and the shells that I inspected had some pretty soft lead. Not so good for nice long shots, but you dont really need to make long shots. You can if you want to, but you dont have to!

Our guide had a number of locations with varying degrees of difficulty. As the scores went up, so did the level of difficulty of the stand that they tend to put you in. I fired about 5000 shells in three days (6 half day hunts) and took 3750 birds according to the dove boys that use counters - for an average of 75%. According to our guide, the running average of all hunters that have shot there is about 30%.

If you want to use multiple guns and loaders (and magazine extenders), you could certainly shoot more than I did. I reloaded my own gun and used an over and under the whole time. I did not take my guns to Argentina, although some did. If you want to go for a volume or bird record, use multiple guns with multiple bird boys and shoot until you are empty and get a fresh gun!

I got off the plane after flying all night and shot 500 birds in less than 2 hours.

It is a hoot, but again, our experience with the Cordoba was NOT good.
Russ_Bell

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:19 pm

What do you do with 3750 dead doves? I hope someone was able to use them to supplement their protein requirement. With a single count of that many birds, what was the total amongst your group? To reach a number that high they must have doves carpeting the landscape! How many days did it take your shoulder/collar bone to recover after a 5000 round punishment?
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Russ_Bell » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:32 pm

Tig,

Great question! The bird boys take a lot of the birds in to town and who knows if they sell them, trade them, or give them away. We also have a lot of Dove dishes served during the week.

In preparation for the trip, my wife and I were shooting 1000 rounds per day on the weekends leading up to the shoot. That will get you tough pretty quick.

My shoulder WOULD have been fine, but I ended up shooting the 12 ga O and U for most of the trip, and I did have a permanent tatoo on my shoulder for about 2 months after I returned. If you send me your email address, I will send you a complete set of pix!

Russ
Russ_Bell

Postby adleylu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:59 am

Make sure to break it in, and run it wet 'til broken in. Mine hung a bit b/c I started out on a dove shoot with lower power shells. Since I've run a few boxes through it, it's a dream! I give the gun itself 5 stars, and the usually terrible Benelli finish 1 star. You can scratch it if you look at it too hard. Why can't Benelli take a lesson from Beretta's aqua tek coating? That coating is magic.
adleylu

Postby Lind » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Lind

Return to Shotguns