>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Stoeger Model 2000 Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Stoeger Model 2000 Reviews

Postby dmendillo » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:57 pm

I bought this as my first shotgon to shoot trap and for a field gun. This is the most reliable shotgun anyone could buy.

THE WALNUT WOOD IS AS GOOD AS THE $2000 SHOTGUNS and just as dependable.I highly recommend this shotgun.
dmendillo

Postby Newf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:02 pm

I purchased a stoeger 2000 in Nov.06 for upland hunting. I have fired about 100 rounds and have had about 10 instances where the shell either never ejected or did not cycle the next round. It performs very poorly in cold wether and does not like light loads. It seems to fail me at critical moments when I need it to perform such as taking aim on a rabbit. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I went trap shooting and fired 30 shells and had a jam. I fired another 20 or so and had another. Really frustrated. There does not seem to be a lot of info out there with regards to this gun and its performance. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Newf

Postby shutterbug99 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:38 pm

From what I uderstand most autos require a break-in period to where you should be shooting hotter loads. What kind of shells were you firing?
shutterbug99

Postby Newf » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:19 pm

I was using 1 1/8 oz trap loads but mostly I use 1 1/4 oz game loads, 2 3/4". I contacted Stoeger about this and they suggest I use a silicone based gun oil when cleaning. I plan to put about 100 rounds through it soon to see how it performs. Any suggestions as to a silicone based gun oil?
Newf

Postby Newf » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:24 pm

yeah I cleaned it before using and after every use. I have since fired about 50shells and had two instances where a round has dropped back from the magazine tube but was not picked up and chambered. This condition is much more noticeable in cold weather, - tempertures. I now have a silicone based lubricant- 3 in 1 oil. I have cleaned and oiled the gun and will try it soon.
Newf

Postby flushingpheasant » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:00 pm

I bought mine about a month ago. I took it apart and cleaned it-it needed it. Oiled it up and while watching a movie just manually ran the bolt back and forth about a gazillion times (however many that is). I have hunted with it on four occasions since, using 2.75 and 3'' shells with perfect performance. It had hard felt recoil when new-put on a Limbsaver recoil pad. That darn pad reduced felt recoil so much it was unbelievable. These are a new high-tech design with dual air chambers, all enclosed. It is also designed to reduce muzzle jump. If you buy this gun (which I would recommend) you need a Limbsaver! Just consider it part of the price. It went from a bruise-maker to one sweet soft shooting gun. I paid $379.00 for the gun and about $40.00 for the pad. Both worth every penny. I already hit pheasants better with my new 2000 than with my 870 that I have been shooting for 33 years! I'm glad I bought this gun.
flushingpheasant

Postby Newf » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:27 pm

Tried my 2000 after oiling with silicone based oil. It jammed 4 shells in a row. I sent it back to stoeger. I bought a remington 870 pump synthetic stock and have a remington SPR310 o/u on the way.
Newf

Postby shutterbug99 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:26 am

Newf, I'm sorry to hear about your shotgun. It sounds like you may have gotten a lemon.
shutterbug99

Postby flushingpheasant » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:07 am

Just a note-These 2000s need more break-in than your manual leads you to believe. They are a third or a fourth the price of a Benelli, after all. The action needs a lot of cycling to smooth everything out. Don't panic when you have some problems for the first couple of hundred rounds! Try leaving it heavily oiled and manually cycling the action about 1,000,000,000,000 times (just kidding) in the living room while watching tv. It made mine into a 100% reliable shooter. It really smoothed out the action. I also recommend using hunting loads-1.25 oz. or heavier-for the first couple of boxes. This gun begs to be shot, and shot a lot. I have not had one problem with mine. Just please don't have a fit if you have a few cycling problems at first!
flushingpheasant

Postby fenman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:37 pm

bought a new 2000 prior to this duck season and have had it through the paces in some tough weather and quite a few shells. No problems as of yet but I have always used gunscrubber or an equivalent for cleaning the marsh mud out of the action. DONT DO IT with the stoeger, it will remove the camo. Other camo guns I've owned have not had this problem so I'm wondering if I got a dud finish. Regardless, I'll take a blemish or two for the price of a benelli.
fenman

Next

Return to Shotguns