>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

which one?

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

which one?

Postby janmiranda » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:26 pm

ok guys being a newbie to shotguns I need advice. I want a single barrel either pump or auto, to shoot sporting clays and skeet. I can't do alot of heavy recoil so in a 12 is one brand better than another or go with a 20?
janmiranda

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:49 pm

My first question is whats your buget?

You can spend from almost nothing for a shotgun to thousands. If you are really worried about recoil you might want to go for the 20ga. but trap loads are pretty light so even in a 12 gauge recoil is minimal.

If I had the money I'd go for a Browning Gold "golden clays" sporting clays. Or just the Gold sporting clays to save a few bucks.

Beretta and Bennelli also make nice stuff. Or you can go all out custom!

But you also need to ask yourself how serious are you about the sport. A nice remington 870 or a mossburg 500 might suit your needs just fine. These may be cheaper than the brownings or beretta's are still a good solid reliable shotgun and worth serious consideration.
beltbuckle

Postby rlamma » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm with Belt. Draw a line in the sand on budget then try to decide what type of action you prefer. You might want to have screw in chokes (much cheper than barrels) as an option on any of your choices.

If recoil is an issue most gas operated semi autos tame that a bit and there are lots of "add ons" that are supposed to help. As Belt mentioned, loads will make a lot of difference. You will have more variaty in ammo with the 12 but for the basic stuff the 20 also has a lot of chioces.
rlamma

Postby fuzzy1911 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:12 am

I have been looking at the mossberg 930 it is newer so i wont get on for a while but you could try looking into that
fuzzy1911

Postby gunmonkey1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:34 am

i always loved my mother's old 16ga rem wingmaster it was great for shooting doves and clays... i don't know if they even still make it she has had it as long as i can remember. its her deer gun but w/ upland bird shot it was also a squrrel and rabbit killing bastard
gunmonkey1

Return to Shotguns