>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Sticky \"Action\" on a New Maverick 88

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Sticky \"Action\" on a New Maverick 88

Postby diverdon » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:18 am

Hello, I have a new Mav 88 for home security . the 7 round mag model . I really am not one to complain . This rifle seems to stick and jamb a lot . I wonder if it just needs to break in . several things don't work well . Sometimes it won't grab the shell from the Magazine . Sometimes it won't eject either won't grab the shell or won't kick it out . It helps to hold the rifle with the extraction port down for this .

The extracting and loading action just doesn't seem to work well . I have several Weapons and don't have trouble with any others . I wonder if this just has to wear in . I have run 30-40 rounds thru it and worked the action maybe a thousand times trying to wear it in . I have cleaned and lubed it a few times also . I do work the action with "Strength?" as I have heard that's what you have to do ..

I have looked for others with this problem and cannot find anyone else complaining so it seems like it must be a good shotgun . Just Break in ?? Maybe someone has some tips . I bought this new but don't want to send it in for "Repair" . I was an auto mechanic for 33 years so I think I can work on this if I know what to do ..

Please , Any suggestions will really be appreciated .. I want to use this for home defense but if I cannot depend on it racking a round every time .. It's a little scary .. Thank You . Don J.
diverdon

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Hey Don, welcome to the forum! I've got an 88 and had brief problems with it when first purchased. Rounds would "stick" in the chamber fairly often and I thought I had bought a problem. What kind of ammunition are you feeding it? I started out with some of the Wolf shells and they were absolute garbage. They looked cool, you could see through them and gave you the impression that you had something really "BAD"!! Well, what I found out was that the ammunition was the cause of all the problems. I went with some Winchester or something similar, but American made and I have never looked back. Hope this helps!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby diverdon » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Hello Tigwelder , Thanks for the reply .. I wish it was that easy .. I have been using winchester ammo .. Maybe it is a simple problem .. I just haven't used this rifle enough .. I went to the range today took the shotgun with me and left it in the car .. My bad .. Didn't want to deal with it ..

I haven't heard from anyone else or seen any posts on the internet about this problem so I'm thinking it's either just needing break in or something "tweaked" to make it work better .. I will have to make it a priority to run a couple of boxes thru it ..

So please tell me you haven't had any thing like these problems with yours since you changed ammo ?? What I need to do is try this again and then report back ..

I see your from Florida also .. What part ? I'm in South Florida .. At the North end of Palm Beach County .. Florida is such a long state there's a bunch of places I haven't even heard of .. Well thanks again for your post and the welcome I hope I can help someone here someday too . Take Care .. Don J.
diverdon

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi Don, here's some information from a fellow shooter that may help you with your question:

Upon a second reading of your original post, I have additional comments. The difficulty in ejecting spent shells is usually due to one of two things. 1. The chamber is too rough, or 2. The ammo being used.

The chamber can be easily polished by you. Remove barrel from gun. Use a bore or chamber brush with 00 steel wool wrapped around the brush. Insert brush into electric drill. Apply a few drops of oil to brush/steel wool and polish the chamber on low/medium speed for 10 to 15 minutes.

As for ammo, not all ammo is created equal. Some shells have a brass head (which is good). Many of the cheaper shells have a steel head which is not so good. The steel has a bad tendency to stick to the chamber walls when fired, thereby making extraction difficult.

I suggest that first you polish the chamber walls real well. This can only help regardless what ammo you are using. If that is not enough, try some different ammo. The absolute best ammo for reliability is Win AA or Rem STS target ammo. They have brass heads and are very consistent in quality.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Return to Shotguns