>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

What loads are okay to shoot in older shotgun...

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

What loads are okay to shoot in older shotgun...

Postby TrailRunAZ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:15 pm

I purchased this gun for a beater for quail, and it is opened to a 2 3/4" chamber. I'll shoot 2 3/4" shells, obviously, but since it's an older gun (serial number was 90663, so seller said it was made 1915) I was wondering if I should stick with the standard 16 ga 1165 fps loads, or if it would be okay to bump up to the stiffer 1300 fps Fiocchi loads to get an extra 20 yds or so late in the quail season when they are jumpy. Will be shooting 7 1/2, 8 or 9 lead shot.

http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/admin ... sp?id=2740

I will reload as well, since I'm looking for a 28 ga too, so can customize the loads then.
TrailRunAZ

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:54 pm

That's not an easy question to answer without knowing a whole lot more about it. I would recommend you have a gunsmith look at it if you're concerned. The metallurgical structure of a shotgun that old has to be determined if it's not readily known. I certainly wouldn't put hotter loads through it until I knew. What did the previous owner shoot through it? He may be a better source of information to start with. 16's are a very powerful load and putting them through an 85 year old gun should probably be done with a degree of caution until a gunsmith clears it for HP loads.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby TrailRunAZ » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Oh, I agree completely. Funny, when I look at the gun I have a hard time believing it is that old. The place I bought it is incredibly reputable, and did say there would be no problem running rounds through it for years for dove and quail, it was just my ignorance about it have been opened up to 2 3/4" that let me get away without asking.

I likely don't need anything but target loads for quail anyway. But having a gunsmithy take a peak is good suggestion so thanks tons.
TrailRunAZ

Postby ulgydog56 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:34 pm

low brass till known what thou has.........
ulgydog56

Postby Tinmancr » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:51 pm

not much info shotguns are loaded to rather low pressure so shoot 5-6-7s should be pretty safe.

if the gun is a dbl, single break open easy to check see how, tight it is and check for barrel bulges.

16ga is pretty similar to 12 and loaded to the same pressure, so a mfr of repute should last for a lifetime.

taking it to a smith is smart but you should not have to pay so ask around.

I personally carry a 60+ yr old Ithaca m37 and it will out last me, I also had a new england 20ga that lasted 5-10 and the firing pin fell out.

you do not get what you pay for, buy a good brand and check the condition before you buy.
Tinmancr

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:34 am

"You do not get what you pay for, buy a good brand and check the condition before you buy."

Are you serious? I would give up shooting if I ever thought taking a firearm that I questioned it's safety and/or quality to a qualified gunsmith, was unnecessary because of cost. I have to say, that's bad advice.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Tinmancr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:25 am

not what I meant a good smith may give a good looking over without a fee.

I actually had one show me how to fix a problem for free, the other part no matter how good a brand a gun can be damaged to a point it is unsafe.

I have seen plenty of high priced guns in bad or even dangerous condition sold, I admit rarely by reputable establishments.

the owner is responsible for the safety of their guns ultimately it is yours after all know what you buy.

sorry for the misunderstanding.
Tinmancr

Return to Shotguns