>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger Blackhawk Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby Doriadiver » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Just picked one up brand spankin' new from a guy that thought it was too heavy for him after getting it as a gift. Traded my Walther PPK/S in stainless straight up. Who got the best of that deal? Oh and he threw in a box of target and a box of Hornady 225 gr. FTX. Ahhhh, clean livin' pays off. Cant wait to burn through that ammo and a box more tomorrow.
Doriadiver

Postby rrapidron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:22 pm

You are gonna like it-its a nice pistol especially if you get out into some rough country like I do sometimes it will smoke any bear with good ammo-the rubber grips made a big diff in recoil on mine fyi
rrapidron

Postby Doriadiver » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Recoil barely noticeable with 44 special loads. Quite a bit different with Remington Mag loads. Fun to shoot, very accurate. This will definitely be my horseback sidearm should this state ever go open carry as it's been talking about. GREAT trade, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Doriadiver

Postby drygulch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Check out how it looks with handmade Sambar Stag grips... Pics 4 & 5
drygulch

Postby Doriadiver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Kinda like the stock wood grips though I've been eyeballin' the Hogue Finger Grooved wood as well. Love the gun!
Doriadiver

Postby MightyFoFaad » Wed May 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Don't know what happened to photo #4. See #5. Bought this gun to go deer hunting & play make believe cowboy. Every time I brought the gun deer hunting, my shots were out of range for pistol & when I only brought my rifle, there were plenty of 35-70 yd shots! Go figure. So the gun is still cherry. I still enjoy taking it to the range once a year where I practice with 44 specials, but always finish off with mags so my aiming point isn't off. The gun is accurate enough for 50 yd hunting shots. It was never designed to compete in the Olympics. It's a really beautiful gun, very well made & a bargain price for what you get.
MightyFoFaad

Postby Doriadiver » Sat May 28, 2011 9:46 am

Yeah Mighty, I start with the specials as well and finish off with the big boom booms. Never fails to get everyones attention in a hurry. LMAO.... Great bang for the buck. Well made and fun.
Doriadiver

Postby ely-medic » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:30 pm

My oldest and best hand gun ran about a zillion round thru her, even some HOT reloads but with Buffalo Bore 44 Magnum +P+ 340 in her she will stop ANYTHING!!!!!! BIG BANG and fun to use about 4inch grp at 75 yards what else needs said?
ely-medic

Postby Mixedpickle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:39 am

Just purchased this handgun and I have to say that this is one of the best firing single action revolvers that I own.

This Ruger New Model Blackhalk Convertable is listed as a .357 Magnum but also comes with an interchangable 6 shot cylinder in a 9mm Luger cartridge. Swap out is fast and with the ability to shoot .357 Magnum and .38 Special cartridges out of one cylinder and also 9mm Luger from the other, this gun is versatile and cost effective (shoot what is on sale).

I shot groupings of 2" at 15 feet, 21 feet and 30 feet with the 9mm cylinder right out of the box. Some postings state that since the 9mm is .002 smaller than the .357 bore of the barrel that the accuracy is diminished has not materialized in my time at the range.

When firing the gun with either .357 Magnum, .38 Special or the swap to 9mm I have found that any cartridge works well and shoots straight.

The only Con that I found is that the front sight is black and is hard to find against the back (black) notched sight. A quick touch up with some white paint on the front sight gives faster and better sight alignment, especially with dark targets in indoor ranges.

This is definetly a great gun!
Mixedpickle

Previous

Return to Revolvers