>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Smith & Wesson Model 617 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Smith & Wesson Model 617 Reviews

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:30 am

I bought one of these last night, the 4" barrel version. Something intrigued me about a 10 shot revolver so I ponied up the $600 for it. I have got to quit going to gun shops!

I haven't fired it yet, but I'll be sure to post when I do....
beltbuckle

Postby Kirby_haley1@yahoo.com » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Bought one of these years ago. It was "calling to me" and I'm sure you folks understand such a thing. Hung a Leupold 4X scope on it and it worked wonderfully. Love that single action trigger. Accurate even with me behind the trigger. The price had me flumoxed for a time but, in retrospect, it was a good move. I see what they're going for now. I eventually removed the scope and went back to iron sights. A little more handy that way. Anyhow, I like this gun. It worls good, does its job (when I do my part) and I'm very pleased overall. I have a Ruger P-11/45 and the trigger, while useable, is nowhere near as good as the one on this piece. Good luch to all.

klh

Post Falls, Id.
Kirby_haley1@yahoo.com

Postby Stingrayg4 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:26 pm

I just picked up one of these guns used. Went out and put about 50 rounds through it as soon as I got home. I'm a huge fan of Smith & Wesson revolvers and this gun only made a bigger fan of me. There really is nothing I don't like about it. I highly recommended it to anyone who is looking for a quality .22 wheelgun.
Stingrayg4

Postby gunnutz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:15 pm

I've had my 617 several years and shot 2500 rounds with it so far, I love the gun. Traded in a kimber .45 that I couldn't get to run. Best trade I've ever made!
gunnutz

Postby electricman4759 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:31 pm

When ever I go to the range my 13 year old daughter wants to go with me, this is the weapon she works with. Over the past 6 months she has gotten very good with it. We went to the range today and she was calling out were the bullet was going to be. I am very proud of her and her shooting. For the record she loves this gun.
electricman4759

Postby neverenough » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Hey electricman4759....Good for her! I don't think you could have picked a better revolver for her than the 617.

I have been watching for one (4") several months now and so far no luck. My girlfriend gives me the "why do you want another gun?" pop quiz. I just mumble something like "ahh jeeeese." Do I say anything when she gets some more kitchen stuff?....

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby electricman4759 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:34 pm

neverenough:

I agree with you, my wife can always find something to buy. But, when it comes to my guns that is all different. I might be able to buy a 617 because it will be for my daughter not for me. Sound good?

My daughter loves this gun and can really handle it. "That's my girl."
electricman4759

Postby BudWoods » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:14 am

I have an older model w/ 6", all steel. It is a very accurate .22 [more accurate than about any .22 handgun out there - under $1000]. It actually prefers Federal Champion ammo. - It's always good when your .22 likes cheap ammo! CCI min-mags are a close second as are a number of others lincluding Eley, Nobel and Federal 'championship' stuff. I had an action job done on it and it ended up with the smoothest DA pul of any of my revolvers AND it never misfires - even using CCI ammo which tends to have slightly harder brass. It's a honey.
BudWoods

Postby Tinmancr » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:52 pm

yeah my buddy has one fired about 100rds in it not bad.

from factory dbl action is mediocre single is usable.

the accuracy from his 6 is much lower than my 22/45 but what the hey. "from 5+ users"

and obviously nothing you can do with it without a gunsmith.

it is very heavy and bulky for a .22 but some like that, it has no magnum cylinder very disappointing esp with weight, also not easy to get speed loaders.

cylinder will goo up and jam after a few hundred rounds, so much for the old adage my 22/45 has NEVER jammed with several thousand rounds through it.

hey "weight is a sign of reliability if doesn't work you can always hit them with it".

if you love smiths and need a .22lr only go for it but you can get better guns for less money.

to recap they are not more accurate, powerful or reliable here endeth the lesson.
Tinmancr

Postby BILLYJAC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 pm

I have a .22/45 and it is a good one,I still would like a wheel gun in .22. I had a Colt Diamondback in .22 once and loved it. In hard times had to sell it. This S&W is probably the closest to the Diamondback that I can get now.

Does any other maker have one close to the Diamondback?
BILLYJAC

Next

Return to Revolvers