>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Smith & Wesson Model 617 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby billou » Sun May 08, 2011 11:10 am

I just purchased a brand new S&W 617 and was very disappointed. It only worked in single action after only 30 rounds. Then the spent shells swelled in the cylinder. A gunsmith told me to send it back for a new gun. Then the cylinder locked on me. To be honest I traded in a Taurus Tracker thinking I was getting a top notch 22 in S&W. I would like my Taurus back. The sights are better in the Taurus and It looks just as good as the S&W.
billou

Postby neverenough » Mon May 09, 2011 2:39 pm

What a pisser, billou.....The 617 "normally" is one excellent, sweet revolver! Sounds as though this one slipped through. It would be a safe bet Smith will gladly hook you up with another "real" 617.

Let us know how it goes.....

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby billou » Mon May 09, 2011 4:56 pm

I talked to S&W today and they said they would send me a mailing label to send the 617 back.
billou

Postby neverenough » Tue May 10, 2011 12:08 am

Sounding good.....Got a hunch they will make it right! Kind of lonely when you have to send your new shooter off in a UPS truck....but you can look forward to a dialed in 617.

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby billou » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 am

After S&W sent back my 617 I'm happy with the results. I'ts a fine hangun and I love it now. I couldn't believe all the problems I had with it NIB but S&W was fast in fixing and returning.
billou

Postby billou » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 am

After S&W sent back my 617 I'm happy with the results. I'ts a fine hangun and I love it now. I couldn't believe all the problems I had with it NIB but S&W was fast in fixing and returning.
billou

Previous

Return to Revolvers