>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Smith & Wesson Model 686 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby jhallrv4 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:19 am

winenutz, a spring kit from Wolff gunsprings will make an amazing difference in the feel of the trigger, both single and double action. If you don't know the secrets of successfully taking a Smith apart and getting it back together, don't try it, but get a gunsmith to put a slight bend in the hammerspring, then put a reduced power rebound spring in. It's like a new gun. It's inexpensive and effective.
jhallrv4

Postby SittingMooseShaman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:45 pm

... S&Ws' M586- my main gun.

The mate to my Ppk...

Finally replaced the cylinder...lesson learned-

no more than 3/32nd" for chamfering the chambers.

I'm gonna keep 'em @ 1/32nd"...

Just remove a few burrs...

Two more improvements and she'll be set:

Three in truth,

Mepro sights.

Crimson Trace laser grips...

plus a cashmere lined sling holster.

For me... the perfect revolver...
SittingMooseShaman

Postby SW-Insured » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:05 pm

SittingMoose, no argument here. The 686/586 IMO, rates "excellent" in all categories, except capacity. Years ago, when many thought the revolver was a dying breed, the 686 keeps going strong. A great range gun. Even my wife enjoys shooting my 686s (with med. velocity magnum loads) -- for the accuracy and the power "rush". Just can't bring myself to sell them.
SW-Insured

Postby SittingMooseShaman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 pm

... when I first bought my 586 w/the 8&3/8" bbl and the great 4-position elevation front sight- she was to be dedicated to hunting/target shootin'...

Then came 9-11.

Her 'mission' changed that instant.

Anything can and may happen here in the USA now.

Added to this- the Swiss-Cheese Border of the DeMarxO'cratZies' Party... That S&W M586 has become my main sidearm... My Ppk my stalwart back-up...

Since I've always had this fascination w/all things mechanical from the 1890's(+-) industrial revolution era... I decided to maximise the carry-usefulness of the 586 from it's initial 'boxed' modern configuration to a piece that would facilitate a relative quick-draw from a shoulder rig/sling or from simply in-the-drawers behind the buckle.

No 'corners' or snagging points... and also looking a bit

"Steam-Punk"...

One new cylinder and a lot of sanding, careful fine-filing and polishing later... I believe I have succeeded.

That 586 looks like she was machined back in 1893...

Just a bit more polishing and some fine etching w/acid

should do it.

She really looks good! 'Holstered n' able'- Leathered through the 'years.'

... My next project is to cut n' whittle a wood 'carbine' fore-end & stock she'll just slip n' lock into- not forgetting to fabricate an unobtrusive flash deflector for the gap 'tween the cylinder & forcing cone...

Think I'll use brass hardware... not decided on the wood yet...

I mean... this 586/686 design is just friggin' timeless...

Like Winchesters' & Marlins' levers or the DC-3 and the B-52... Colts' 45 auto or Colemans' gas-stove & lamp!

It just works!
SittingMooseShaman

Postby jhallrv4 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm

I have to tell you guys, the Smith 686 (+ in my case) never ceases to amaze me. It's rockin' in the pistol league I'm in right now, and has won it outright in the past. BUT, here's the kicker: I teach NRA basic pistol classes. In every class, I let the students shoot most of what I have. That includes Beretta's, Walther's, Dan Wesson 1911's, Smith 3916NL, and a Hammerli target pistol.

WITHOUT EXCEPTION, every single student has favored the 686. Some had never even considered a wheel-gun, but this revolver really opened their eyes. As it did mine. Oh, they all wanted to shoot the semi-autos, but in the end, they ALL wanted to shoot the Smith 686 again.

BTW, not a single person has refused to shoot it because it has an integral lock. Go Figure!
jhallrv4

Postby sledgehammer44 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 am

I was never that big on guns growing up. I liked them and respected them but never cared to own one. Well, i went to the gun range about 8 months ago with a friend and I was hooked. After shooting several different types of guns at the range, I new the 686 was going to be the first gun I owned. It's simple design and accuaracy makes even the most novice of shooters look good. It's a little heavy, but that's a good thing when shooting the magnums through it. Which is a lot of fun. It's a great gun and I couldn't be happier with it.
sledgehammer44

Postby neverenough » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:10 pm

SittingMoose.....BRAVO.....I like the way you think. Not content with leaving "good enough" alone! Your customization process is most excellent!

Most everything I acquire seems to need some tweaking in order to make it better.....Every time I come home with something new, it's not long before I start "fixing" it. The GF always rolls her eyes and asks, "Why are you messing with it?"

We know.....

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby ProudPatriot » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Own several guns, but my S&W .357 686-6 is my favorite! It has deleivered everything and more I have ever asked- and would encourage anyone considering one to buy it! :-)
ProudPatriot

Postby rrapidron » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 am

I am gonna buy this revolver-heh I always look around and negotiate a bit when buying-whay did u all pay for yours?
rrapidron

Postby SYORK61 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:39 pm

I have a 686+ Talo edition 5 inch brl un-fluted cylinder, best looking gun I have ever seen & it shoots great..
SYORK61

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers