>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger SP-101 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby ccfarmer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:46 am

The SP 101 is what it is--a solid, reliable revolver. It's built like a tank. I have even purchased a IWB holster and carry it occasionally but is more of a nightstand weapon.
ccfarmer

Postby EmeraldCoaster » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Does anyone have firsthand experience using Federal 327 with the SP-101? I'd like to find a comfortable, yet potent, revolver for my spouse.
EmeraldCoaster

Postby tkdguy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:17 am

Sp 101 for backpacking. I will be hiking NW Montana this summer. I do have a Smith Model 60 .357 3" which I really do not like shooting .357's as it is very light and I doubt is will stand up to shooting the heavier loads. I was thinking of either the 2" or 3" sp 101 in .357. Any ideas which way to go? Thanks.
tkdguy

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:13 am

Hi TKDGUY,

Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you! After reading your situation and plans, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than the Smith Model 60 that you already have. I used to live in the northwest United States, just west of the northern Idaho border. I'm curious about why you don't like the Model 60? If I were to recommend a pistol, that would be the lowest caliber I would recommend for the area. You're in Big Bear country up there, not to mention Mountain Lions. If you aren't going to carry a rifle of significant caliber, you definitely need to carry a revolver with enough power to handle any potential situations that may occur. I recommend revolvers because they are as reliable a pistol as you can find and you can get them in large enough calibers to stop anything walking on this planet. There are several pistols available and I'll suggest a few, you already own one and the Smith 3-4 inch Model 29 44 Mag, the Smith 3 inch 460 ES and the Smith 500 ES. I recommend these pistols because they're pistols carried by Guides in Bear country in the lower 48 and Alaska. When you decide to buy a pistol for use on the trail, you don't pick one for target practice, unless your target is that huge Bear that wants you for a snack. It's always a better idea to put as much distance between you and the bear but should that bear decide to disagree with your plan, you'd better be armed with something big enough to stop him or her from making a meal out of you!

I looked back and wanted to be sure you knew that a Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum will be more than capable of handling any .357 Mag load you can buy. That's a very tough handgun but if you're going into bear country, I'd consider one of the larger caliber pistols I've recommended. Good luck!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tkdguy » Sun May 04, 2008 12:28 pm

SP 101 .357-2": Any experence with 170-180 gr bullets? Has anyone tried the heavier bullets from Buffalo Bore or Double Tap, by example, in their 2". If so, what did you experience with respect to blast, accuracy (distances), and recoil recovery? Is their any reports on the energy of these heavier bullets fired from the 2"? Thanks.
tkdguy

Postby yodacat » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:58 pm

I own several snubbies an the sp-101 is one of my favorites. It is the most accurate and after 700-800 rounds the trigger is the smoothest. Solid built and after the hogue grips were added even .357 loads are manageable to shoot. At 7 yds it is all 10 ring even with double action. This reliable piece is hard to beat for personal protection. That's why I gave it to my wife to carry.
yodacat

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:03 am

Your decision and preference for revolvers is interesting. Especially in this time of semi auto mania! I must admit that I like the semi auto's too. But that doesn't limit my liking of a nice revolver though. I've got a Taurus 850 ss hammerless that now works like a charm. It had a defective star gear and sent it back to them for repair. It took entirely too long to accomplish but it has been a great pistol since then. There is no argument available that can prove a revolver unreliable! It's a perfect firearm for many shooters, especially the ones that want a home defense weapon.

I've spoken to so many shooters that agree with your impression of this handgun. I haven't owned a Ruger DA pistol but have owned a 6 inch Blackhawk SA .357 that could dot i's at 100 yards! Super accurate handgun. So I'm not at all surprised to hear how highly you regard this pistol. Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forum!

Tig

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby yodacat » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:22 am

Tig, I do have a fondness for wheel guns especially snubbies(I own 4). But I also enjoy a nice semi-auto. I carry a Cougar 9mm off duty, and own/owned several others. I have be looking into a slimmer Semi-auto, possibly a S&W 908s. Many will argue over the capacity of a semi-auto vs. revolver, but if I can't change some ones mind with 5 or 6 I've already lost the argument.:D

Thanks for the welcome.

Y-cat
yodacat

Postby rennytoo » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:56 pm

I have an SP101 in .38sp, with a three inch barrel.Got the thing a few years after they came out and have put less than 250 rounds through it. Today my wife shot one round of Fiocchi 158FMJ. The barrel came off and flew downrange. It had seperated just past the forcing cone. Anybody else heard of something like this? This was not even +P ammunition, although it has had a handful of +P shot in it before.
rennytoo

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:15 pm

Holy Crap!!! No, I haven't heard of this happening before but I suppose if it happened to you it must've happened to someone else. Is your wife okay? I sure hope so! Let us know how she's doing. This has had to affect her in some respect. I hope she doesn't develop a fear of this happening regularly! It just doesn't happen and shouldn't. I'd get on the phone right away to Ruger and let them know what happened. They owe you on this one. Ask them for a new one! They can tell that it's almost new on inspection and this shouldn't have happened (under any circumstances)!! Can you tell if the cylinder was clocked properly? I'm curious if the barrel just came loose and flew off or if maybe the bullet actually caught the edge and took everything else with it? Let us know, please!

Oh, welcome to the forum! Give our best to your wife and our encouragement to get back on that "Horse". Thanks for the great information!

Tig

tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers