>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Taurus Model 65/66 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby JustBen » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Got my replacement 605 snubbie yesterday and all is now fine. Gun is great. Everything works just like it should. Really gave me a bad feeling about Taurus though. I thought they were rated pretty high before I bought this gun. Hopefully I will continue to have good luck with the replacement.
JustBen

Postby ilmbaba » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:50 am

Well, I went ahead and traded up to a Ruger GP100. The more I thought about it, the less confidence I had that the Taurus would be reliable down the road. I liked everything about it (except that it didn't work), but I've never had a bad Ruger. The guy at the shop sells lots of the Taurus model, and never had to send one back. Just my bad luck, I suppose. Oh well.
ilmbaba

Postby lastrebel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:40 am

@ilmbaba youll like gp100 lots better I got it 38 never a problem what so everjust hope you got most your money back good luck and congrads .
lastrebel

Postby Edbigtruck » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:44 pm

I recently Purchased a Taurus 605 it felt great in my hand so i decided to purchase it. the first day at the rang after 3 firing the first 3 rounds the gun Stuck I opened the cylinder and reclosed the cylinder again. It fired but stuck again. after the next two rounds. Ok I took it home Gave it a good Cleaning Oiled it up real good. Next time at the range same thing after 5 rounds. Cleaned it again. 3rd time at the rannge 3 rounds it jammed up Called a Gunsmith Dropped the gun off they said they would send it back to taurus. recieved a call mny gun is Ready they said it had a lot of Carbon bulid up they cleaned it and Shot it it worked fine. I asked the gunsmith how can a gun get that dirty and jam up after 3 rounds. Never will I buy a tuarus again. I plan on sending it to Taurus I live in Jersey it is very dificult to Purchase a handgun in this State because of the B S Laws. So replacing this gun wont be so easy.
Edbigtruck

Postby Missionx5 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:57 pm

ilmbaba

I also have the 627 in a 6inch. Like you said, very accurate. I love it and have never had an issue with it. It's a bad looking firearm, it goes under the seat with me whenever I travel. Sorry about your bad experience.
Missionx5

Postby ilmbaba » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:10 pm

lastrebel - Guy at the shop had the GP100 for $105 more than the Taurus. He took $83 and made the trade.
ilmbaba

Postby ilmbaba » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:12 pm

MissionX5 - I really wanted to like it, but after I had the issue, I did some searching and it seems to be too common an issue. I have other Rugers and they just keep on shooting. Had I really wanted to pay the extra money, I would have gone with the Ruger right off the bat.
ilmbaba

Postby Trebleg1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:52 pm

I had a question about a Colt diamondback. I honestly can't figure out how to search the blog to find discussions about it. I also have a couple of questions about a AMT hardballer...target model. I can't find that they made it but it is a target model and it is from the factory not after market.
Trebleg1

Postby Mdbdoc » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:37 pm

I had to tell some one, so I figured I might as well tell you all. I picked up my Taurus at a local gun show, new for $400 out the door (after a little silver tongue action.) Now This thing came pretty well oiled up, took me a 1/2hr to get it all off. No big deal. First time I took her to the range I put 200 rounds of Remington 38+p rounds through it. Man O Man was it a Daisey. The gun fired just fine, the trigger in double action isn't as smooth as some of my S&W's but just right in single action. I'm no sharp shooter, but I swear I placed some of my best groups today with this thing. Great gun, if your in the market for a good .357, look for a model 66 Taurus.
Mdbdoc

Re:

Postby GOANRA » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:21 pm

JustBen wrote:Got my replacement 605 snubbie yesterday and all is now fine. Gun is great. Everything works just like it should. Really gave me a bad feeling about Taurus though. I thought they were rated pretty high before I bought this gun. Hopefully I will continue to have good luck with the replacement.

JustBen, I didn't know you had the Taurus 605. I just ordered one after doing a lot of research.
I learned the pre 2012s were problematic, used some mixed parts, cylinder sticking, especially in DA.
I just wanted a bootgrip for my CA .38+P, but know the terminal ballistics of the .357 Mag and, of course, came across the 605 Poly. It comes with an extra 'bootgrip'! LOL
Found a bunch of Cor-Bon 115 gr .357 SJHPs (one of my favorite rounds). Great ft-lbs energy transfer.
I think I'm going to like it alot, otherwise it's the Lifetime Warranty until I 'love it'.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Previous

Return to Revolvers