>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Taurus Model 650 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby FryGuy011 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:27 pm

To Will Carry: Is this from your experience or did you hear this from someone else? If it's from your experience then I'd like to know how many rounds you've shot through it. Thank you.
FryGuy011

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:28 am

@Fryguy...If I may interject here, you can trust my friend Will Carry's advice without hesitation. I'm sure that he will soothe your concern just as soon as he see's your concern. I've known him for years and trust his recommendations without hesitation. I hope you do as well. Good shooting!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Will_Carry » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:30 am

I have never shot a Taurus 650 but have shot a Rossi 357 Snubby and a Smith and Wesson 357 Snubby. I also used to own a Taurus M-85.

If you look at the difference between the ballistic of 38 special ammo and 38 special +P. It's not that much. Some 38 special standard pressure loads are even higher than +P loads. They are all generally under 250 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. Now Enter the .357 magnum. Black Hills 125 gr. .357 JHPs delivers 625 ft/lbs. That's why the .357 snubby hurts to shoot with .357 ammo.

So a pistol designed for .357 magnum pressures will be able to handle 38 special +P rounds like it's nothing.

I go to MidwayUSA.com and look at their pistol ammo. If you click on the round you want it will go to a page that gives the muzzle velocity and the muzzle energy of that round.

If you look at Federal Low Recoil Personal Defense 38 special ammo, it says 244 ft/lbs. Then look at Hornaday's 38 special +P ammo and it's only 222 ft/lbs. WTF?

If your 650 is unpleasant with 38 special +P ammo then try some 38 special standard pressure loads like semi-wadcutters, wadcutters or even cowboy loads. They are the mildest 38 special rounds available.

I'm a big fan of the snub nosed revolver. All my TV heroes when I was growing up shot snubbies. McGarrad on Hawaii 50

could shoot a bad guy in the hand at 100 yards with his snubby. Efram Zimballis Jr. on The F.B.I could pick a buggar out of your nose at 200 yards with his Chief's Special. I can hit a paper target at ten feet with mine.
Will_Carry

Postby robert98597 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:32 pm

I am new here But I would like to express my affection for taurus firearms. I own 42 handguns. 17 of them are Taurus. I have never had a FTF or FTE. I had the safety on mt Pt-140 broke off by my nephew. he was a new shooter and he seemed to flip the safety as he was firing the pistol. after the safety broke I contacted taurus customer service. they said send it back. they fixed it no questions asked & sent it back. I had it back in three weeks. I have so much Taurus bashing it makes me think it is the same guy who blew up his taurus doing something wrong that would have caused any gun to explode & taurus was able to prove it was abuse & would not fix it so he is pissed & continues to bash them all the time.
robert98597

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:10 am

All I can say is you're lucky to own 42 handguns! That's quite a number, an envious number! Are you a collector? Many collectors have large total numbers but rarely shoot them. Let us know what you have outside of the Tauri. You've had some excellent service from yours but I've had problems with both I have. I have sent my 850SS CIA back because the metal treatment was terrible and the star gear just crumbled while almost new. They required me to pay return shipment and took over 4 months (not weeks) to return it. They did replace the gear but blamed the failure on poor cleaning! I guarantee you that all of my firearms are anything but dirty. I couldn't reach anyone at their Miami service center the entire time they had my revolver, they didn't even offer an email contact address. I could go on robert but I'll save my complaints for another day. I'm glad you've had great service from both your collection and Taurus customer service. Good luck in the future and welcome to the forum.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby robert98597 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome Tigwelder56. I am surprised to hear how lousy you were treated. I called Taurus Cs before i shipped them. I saw on line when they recived them, finished them & shipped them to me. I don't get to shoot them as often as i used too. before I retired from the army I had to drive past the range on FT. Lewis eveyday, so about 3 days a week i would bring in a couple different ones & work them out on the range. But now I just get to shoot them when I go to visit my in-laws in oregon. they live out in the middle of nowhere. I am very fortunate to have a gun loving wife also. thats why I have 42 handguns, 5 rifles & 3 shotguns. actually she has 1 of the shotguns & a walther 9mm PPS that she carries concealed.
robert98597

Previous

Return to Revolvers