>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Rossi Model 461/462 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Rossi Model 461/462 Reviews

Postby undertaker9 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:31 pm

i had to give up my rossi after a broken wrist great little gun for protection
undertaker9

Postby rabito85 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:52 am

Picked up my 461 Blue on monday. took it to the range today. There is just something about the .357 MAG that is beautiful. Maybe it is the knowledge of a 96.7% one hit stop rating as per FBI fact files. With a 2 barrel the weapon kicks like a horse and accuracy is almost as bad as a musket from any further than 7-10 yards. It is a great gun with excellent quality, but finish looks a bit underdone. The trigger is crisp and very... safe, not heavy in SA mode. With 6 .357, 1 more than most small revolvers, you are ready to engage the enemy at small distances. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this weapon, 2 .357 MAG with 5 [in this case 6] rounds as THE BEST HOME DEFENSE WEAPON! At close, home combat range, the .357 mag is hands down the best man stopper. Right on its tale is the .45ACP. If you have a family, more than 2 people in your home, go with a .45 revolver or 1911 to minimize over-penetration.

I give the ROOSSI 461 a 5. It give you .357 mag firepower with an extra round compared to other small revolvers. Excellent quality, VERY HIGH PRAISE for the trigger. Internal lock and unconditional lifetime warrantee are a plus. Can also shoot .38 special [including +p].I would go with 158 gr. SJHP for home defense. A 115 or 124 gr. JHP for shooting through cars, thick walls or anything not indoors.
rabito85

Postby rabito85 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:31 pm

UPDATE ON MY ROSSI R461... After three days at the rage, about 1200 rounds, the firing pin broke!!! This is not unheard of, though, since the firing pin is not fully cast in the hammer. It is pined into the hammer and spring mounted to protect it from dry firing. However, 1200+ rounds of .357 mags warped the hammer, after I noticed, I loaded some snap caps, and cycled the weapon 5 times, on the 5th time, the pine broke. I am sending into Rossi for repair under their lifetime repair policy. Turn around time is 4 weeks. I am not going to change my rating of the weapon since it meets the challange of being built under certain price ranges. It should be noted though that is hard to find a shipper that will take the gun since I do not hold a permit to sell or ship guns.
rabito85

Postby gvwells » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:11 am

I drew my 2 wheel gun and got attention at the gun range yesterday. It seems that 9mm, 40 S&W, 1911s and Glocks. are the way to go. When I finished shooting eight to ten other shooters had to play show and tell and a quick round of twenty questions. I think I could have sold a dozen of these. I think for concealled carry. great little big gun. (ITS A KEEPER).
gvwells

Postby weekendfunandgun » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:57 pm

I love this revolver. I got the 462 in SS (my wife wated the shiny one) and it is an excellent little piece. I like the power of the 357 rounds and my wife likes the ease of shooting it with the 38s. Very pleased with the feel of this gun - nice grips, tight lockup, and having 6 rounds in a snubby is obviously better than 5. For $325 out the door you just cant beat the price either. I have 2 friends that I shoot with fairly regularly and both of them have purchased this gun (one SS and the other blue) after shooting mine. If you are thinking of buying this gun, GO FOR IT. You will not be dissapointed!!
weekendfunandgun

Postby weekendfunandgun » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:36 pm

Tried some .357 snakeshot rounds through the gun yesterday. worked great. but it spreads quick so its definitely an up close only round.
weekendfunandgun

Postby wvshooter » Sat May 05, 2007 12:51 pm

Model 642 (stainless) purchased NIB for $358. Beautiful gun, nice weight, nice feel to sculpted rubber grips. Put 50 rounds of Winchester FMJ .38 specials thru it today.

This is a personal defense weapon and as such it is hard to beat. The trigger pull is smooth and breaks nicely in double action with a substantial trigger pull weight which makes the gun quite safe. Single action trigger pull is light! I found myself discharging the weapon in single action without consiously pulling the trigger. Recoil was suprisingly light with the .38 specials. Have no idea what a magnum round would be like but will find out later.

The gun seemed very accurate. Had no problem hitting a small plastic cola bottle from 20 feet. Certainly accurate enough for self defense where most action will be inside 10 feet. Sights are fixed front and rear and are quite small. The front sight has no color and will visually disappear when aiming at light or white colored targets. I will be applying some kind of color to the front sight.

This is a fun gun to shoot. The 50 rounds were gone in no time. With .38 special there was no arm/hand fatigue of any kind and the only limit of range time would be the amount of ammo on hand or any problem that developed with the gun. I got the impression the gun could have gone on for a very long time assuming an occasional cleaning.

Lastly, this is 6 rounds and a little bigger than a J frame. For concealed carry a true J frame in 5 rounds would be better IMO.
wvshooter

Postby rash62ol » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:57 am

I purchased a 462 about two months ago. I loved the pistol at first, but soon after I realized why the Rossi was $299 and the S&W was $529. At the range two weeks ago I was emptying the cylinder of spent rounds and what do you know?.... the center pin no longer locked the cylinder into the frame. After inspecting the revolver I figured a good cleaning of the pin and cylinder would solve the problem.... all is well until I cleaned the revolver. Before I even got a chance to disassemble the cylinder I looked at my bore and realized it was pitted. A two month old revolver that had 150 rounds through it, and the barrel was pitted. Obviously some sort of defect. So I called Rossi and they agreed to fix the pistol according to their lifetime warranty. The only problem is they wanted me to pay for shipping, which from Ohio is about 75 bucks. 75 bucks to ship a 300 dollar gun to get fixed. So I called Rossi back and they agreed to have a runner come pick the revolver up. Hopefully they will replace the whole revolver instead of just replacing the barrel. Rossi customer service is great, their revolvers are not. If you're going to buy a .357 just get a S&W and save yourself alot of hassle.
rash62ol

Postby wvshooter » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:08 pm

Update: I now have about 300 rounds downrange and can no longer recommend this gun. Like rash62ol I have noticed the beginning of problems inside the barrel. Delamination, pitting or whatever you want to call it. Also, the very small "block spring" that is recessed under the hammer worked it's way out of it's groove became mangled and caused the hammer to be unable to move. Not good. Also, I noticed the teeth at the back of the cylinder were being chewed up despite liberal oiling. I own a Smith 686 and the difference in material, fitting, and design are worlds apart.

My recommendation, take the money that you were going to spend on a Rossi and do something else with it. Anything. Just don't waste it on a Rossi. To the fine folks in Brazil, "Sorry gentlemen, but quality is quality and your product isn't even close."
wvshooter

Postby joejitsu » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:10 am

Is there any way to decrease the amount of strength needed to pull the trigger on this revolver? I like the gun, especially for the price, but my wife has a bit of a hard time pulling the trigger and I want to make sure if she's home alone she is able to use it if needed.
joejitsu

Next

Return to Revolvers