>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Rossi Model 351/352 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby Texasman71 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Update on my Rossi 351 now that the bugs are worked out. I'm glad I bought it for 259 at academy. It's become a reliable shooter. And I'm considering buying the 462 model also in .357...
Texasman71

Postby TrumpetShooter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:35 pm

I've had my Rossi 351 for about three years now. It's still going strong. I shoot about 25 +P's through it four or five times a years. No problems. Very consistent and accurate with 158 grain lead or jacketed bullets. I wore out the grips, so this week I ordered a new set @ $6.95 plus shipping from RossiUsa.

I bought a Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum snub gun last week, but I'm keeping my Rossi, of course. The Ruger is a good gun. The trigger is a little rough though. I've started the smoothing process, and I ordered a Wolff 11 lb mainspring. Shoots a bit low. I hope I can get it to shoot as well as my Rossi. As triggers go -- I haven't fired any revolver with as good a double-action trigger out of the box as a Taurus or Rossi -- period. Great factory grips too. Gotta love 'em!
TrumpetShooter

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi Texas, I'm with you but only to a point. There are pistols that aren't safe to dry fire. Some of the Colt SAA's and their clones as well as the S&W's with the pin as part of the hammer. You will cause a peening effect on the frame pin channel which will ultimately result in a burr that may well inhibit cylinder rotation. Many European, some US models have brittle pins that will fracture if dry fired. Specifically the old CZ52's. They have a brittle pin and it will break very quickly. With snap caps so inexpensive, why would you even risk damage to your pistol? Makes no sense. Many gun manufacturers approve of dry firing and that's fine if you choose to. But to say you can dry fire any pistol safely isn't accurate.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Texasman71 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:47 pm

HEY TIG MOST Sw's have the same type of firing PIN my Rossi has....

QOUTE FROM TIG WELDER.....

Hi Texas, I'm with you but only to a point. There are pistols that aren't safe to dry fire. Some of the Colt SAA's and their clones as well as the S&W's with the pin as part of the hammer.

My response....

Texasman

Single actions no don't dry fire them.... Smith and Wesson for years have used what is called a hammer nose firing pin. Most anyone will tell ya it's not safe to dry fire this type. WELL, I'M SAYNG IT AS IS IF THE TOLERANCES ARE RIGHT.Most hammer nosed firing pins break due to misalinged adjustment. Mine works fine. I will dry fire it everyday and every year anyway till sunday. Cause, to be quite frank if the gun is set up right doesn't make a difference.
Texasman71

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:16 am

I support your right to dry fire til your pin breaks and the sun don't shine! But for a couple of bucks, I think it's a wise choice to pick up a snap cap or two and treat my expensive handgun (and something I need to perform when I want it to), right. If I decided to practice by dry firing I wouldn't care if a firing pin on my Rossi or Taurus broke either, but that would be a tragedy if it happened to my Colt Python or Diamondback. I used to have an old car that I beat the shit out of too, but I won't drive my Lexus that way... Choice is good and requires thought. With the cost of firearms these days, taking the time to choose how you're going to treat them, is a good use of it.

If you decide to continue this discussion, please post any further comments in the Gun Chatter section. I'll find it. We need to get this thread back on topic. Thank you.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:19 am

TIGWELDER SAID:

If you decide to continue this discussion, please post any further comments in the Gun Chatter section. I'll find it. We need to get this thread back on topic. Thank you.

tigwelder56

Postby REDBARRONXXX » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Hey Guys,

I purchased a Rossi model 351 about a month ago from Academy Sporting Goods here in Tyler Tx. It is a model 35103, yes, that's right, it has a 3" barrel! I noticed that this model did not show up on Rossi's web site, or in their catalog. Nor did it show up in ANY gun buying guide so I got really curious and called Rossi myself to ask what the story is on this gun.

Turns out this was a dealer special made only for Academy Sporting Goods! 10,000 were made. The price was an unbelievable $229 plus tax!

I have put about 400 rounds through it so far and I can't stop smiling. 2" groups routinely free handed at 10 yards.

YEEHAW!
REDBARRONXXX

Postby REDBARRONXXX » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:06 pm

By the way, those 2" groups are with Winchester 125 grain, JHP .38 + P
REDBARRONXXX

Postby BIGFUN27 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:49 am

Hey All,

I have the oppertunity to buy a Rossi 35202 I ran the serial number and it says it was manufactured in 2001 says its a 5 shoot and +P they want 299 for it I think its a little high since I just bought a 972 for the same price and it was manufactured in 2003 I am kinda looking for a good carry gun and wanting a hammerless
BIGFUN27

Postby REDBARRONXXX » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Hey, Bigfun,

If you are anywhere near an Academy Sporting Goods store, go in and ask to see the Rossi model 35103. I just paid 229 plus tax for mine.

It's not hammerless, and it has a 3" barrel, but it's very easy to carry concealed. and as I said before, I still can't stop smiling every time I look at this gun!

Fun shootin' little rascal, and I still feel like I got away with something at 229., but I must admit that store has a good selection of guns with pretty good prices and Academy didn't even pay me for this review.
REDBARRONXXX

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers