>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Bond Arms Snake Slayer Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby jeep » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:03 pm

I just recently purchased the Snake Slayer 5 and shot it yesterday....I shot 45 colt rounds and 410 shot gun shells...

I'm very impressed and honored to own a hand gun that was such an important part of history when the west was won!

What I found was 410 (6 shot) the best at 15 to 25 feet...3 inch shells in this gun pack a punch on the target as well as your hand, however, the 45 colt round was hard to center on target as well as 00 buck shot 5 pellets and/or buckshot number 4 (9 pellets)...

This gun is not for the weak hearted ....I love it and would recommend it to anyone for killing snakes and carrying it on your belt for family trips in case of thug intervention...this gun obviously is very deadly at close range and would deter the most serious criminal trying to carry out a car jacking!

Hats off to Bonds Arms (American made) for providing a mans gun! If you don't care for this gun because of the kick you may want to get a 22 or 380 or something...
jeep

Postby tomj74 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:37 am

Size wise what is the Snake Slayer comparable to. I'm trying to get a good idea of the size. Is it close to the size of a semi-auto .380 or a snub nose .38? Would it fit into a small/medium size belt slide holster? Thanks in advance for any help.
tomj74

Postby drygulch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:02 am

From the end of a 3 in. barrel to the back of the grip is 5 3/8 in.

From the top of the gun to the bottom of the ext. grip is 3 7/8 in.

The frame at it's widest part is 1 in.

It is a little smaller than a S&W Airweight with a 2 in. barrel.

I carry mine in my front pocket in a leather pocket holster & it is completely concealed with no printing. It also fits great in my belt slide holster that was made for a semi-auto .380.
drygulch

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 am

You guys have my respect. I would love to shoot one of those hand cannons. I would much rather carry a Snake Slayer in .410 than a Taurus Judge in .410. I just got to ask.......Do they hurt to shoot? Or just sting a little?
Will_Carry

Postby bigdave » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Mine hurts my hands a little. But I have had surgery on my hands and can't handle much recoil. I wrapped some soft rubber tape around my grips and it's much better. That is with .410 shells. the .45 colt loads are not as bad.
bigdave

Postby drygulch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:15 pm

I have the extended grips with the small rubber slide over grip from BA. It's not bad with these.

I also made a pair of rubber grips from a Charter Arms Bulldog & I can shoot all day with these.

We keep waiting for BA to come out with their large rubber grips they say is coming. We just don't know when they'll be here.

I'm going to also experiment with the Hogue rubber grips for the J frame S&W, (round butt)
drygulch

Postby lrgcal4fun » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Hay Will,

Recoil is not a problem for me. I have the small grips, fits my pocket better, but they are not a liability for recoil. The grips are wide enough that recoil energy is nicely distributed in the palm of the hand. Also, the bottom barrel sits so low that the recoil force is literally straight back. I experience no muzzle rise at all. The top barrel is a bit more challenging but not painful.

All this being said, I must confess to loving magnum hand guns and probably am a bit recoil insensitive. So take my comments with a grain of salt.
lrgcal4fun

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:48 pm

I think the Bond Arms .410/45LC would be a great pocket pistol/back up gun. NOBODY would want to be in front of that gun when it goes off.

I also like the Charter Arms Bulldog because of the 44 special cartridge.
Will_Carry

Postby RHerringt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Maybe if all those interested in the new "tactical" rubber grips BA says they have on the way, would bombard them with requests, something would encourage them to put the pressure on whoever is making them. I've written to them several times and get the same old reply each time. I have big hands and even the extended grips are too small to get a good grip on. But I love this weapon!
RHerringt

Postby drygulch » Fri May 20, 2011 6:58 pm

RHerringt,

The new rubber grips should be on the website for sale by the end of the month at $80.00. They are the extended grip size. (see photo #6 on Cowboy Defender)
drygulch

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers