>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms Mosquito Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Don29palms » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:53 pm

I also have other handuns and ARs and one thing I have learned from the ARs is you can't have too much oil. I run mine wet and keep it clean and I shoot any high velocity ammo I want without any problems at all. I just put 555 rounds through it today and it performed without one hiccup.
Don29palms

Postby snook613 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:03 pm

I had my sig mosquito just over a year and it stopped working. The same thing happened to my friends in the same place. The cheaply made slide broke in the same place on both guns. Not accurate at all either. Have a high standard 22 pistol that is way more accurate and clearly constructed of better material. I wouldn't recommend this gun to anyone unless you like throwing your money away. I always cleaned and oiled this gun properly and it didn't last. BEWARE OF GUNS THAT COME WITH ONLY A ONE YEAR WARRANTY
snook613

Postby outlaw54 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Snook,

Can I ask what year your gun was purchased and or made?

Does the serial # begin FOXXXXX?

I purchased mine in May 2010

I have heard many say theirs is trash, but I have been lucky so far, mine is accurate and trouble free, but the slide does feel more brittle/thin than most of my other Sig's. I have yet to experience your problems, but who knows what the next 1,000 rounds will bring.
outlaw54

Postby warren_borg » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Son of a gun boy's!

I took my Mosquito all apart, cleaned every little nook and cranny and oiled it up. I had kept the original tags and whatnot, because I thought it might look a little more professional with all the original stuff. Apparently not! I took it to a well known firearm dealer to sell it, they didn't want anything to do with it!!! Ha, they pratically laughed me out of the joint. And on top of that, they wanted next to nothing for my used Mossberg .22 long rifle. So, I went along to the next firearm dealer, a military/law enforcement firearm dealer, and all I got was a, "Well I could look at it".

I'm getting the feeling that Sig's Mosquito isn't that highly reguarded in the firearm world, up here in Canada anyway. Now that I have found a nicer (in my opinion anyway) .22 pistol, I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to sell it and at a half decent price at that!

I guess a person doesn't truly know what they're getting into until they want to get out of it.
warren_borg

Postby outlaw54 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:50 pm

I have read it several places, Sig did not make this pistol, it was made for them, why?? I have no idea why they would sully their reputation and take a chane on a $400 .22.

I have a P226 in 9mm, almost 20 years old and one of the best pistols I own. I have H&K, Walther, FN, Magnum Research, Colt, Ruger, so I know a good gun when I buy it.

I liked the winter camo and I wanted an inexpensive .22 to plink with. I didn't want the Walther P22 or the Ruger Mark III, which is probably a far better and more accurate .22, but I thought.....ok, Sig makes good guns, so this .22 should be decent, right?

I have yet to experince any trouble with mine, I broke it in the way they said and it is fun and accurate, but the day it breaks, I doubt I will fix it. I doubt you will get much of anything for this pistol. I bought mine despite reading all the bad press, maybe just to see if it was hype.

I read Sig will be discontinuing this line and I just can't understand why a major maker would let another company make an inferior product and stamp their name on it (if that is 100% true)? How many of these could they have sold and how much $$ could this line have made? All the other Sig lines sell very well, why not concentrate on that market and keep expanding it????

I still like mine and it shoots great, but the day may be coming. I have about 2,000 rounds through it since buying it in May of this year. I like to use it as a teaching aid and to shoot with my daughter. I also bought a GSG-5 so I could shoot something cheaper and I wanted something small to pocket when I walked the dog late at night. No CCW in this state and it's light, so I figured what did I have to lose?
outlaw54

Postby Brandy73 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:11 pm

LOVE IT!!! Just got my Sig Mosquito, took it apart, cleaned & lubed. Took it to the range & fired 200 rounds of CCI mini mags. Fired beautifully, no FTE, FTF, or any other problems. I know several people that have gotten them over the last year & they all LOVE their Mosquitos. Apparently the probs have been fixed.
Brandy73

Postby tobster » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:24 pm

I have had my mosquito for little over a year now. I must say I really like the looks and feel of the gun. I am not really impressed with the limited one year warranty. Every gun I have ever purchased had a lifetime warranty and with the SIG name didn't even bother looking into it before purchase.

When I had the mosquito out on the range for the first time it jammed like crazy(FTF and FTE). Both springs were used and all types of ammo. Bad day I think we got maybe 100 rounds though before we got sick of it.

The second time we had it out it did better, but still had a jam fest (FTE,FTF). This gun is very ammo picky. Doesn't even like the mini mags. We fought thru maybe 200 rounds that session. Had a gunsmith take a look at the gun and was not able to find anything wrong with the gun. His suggestion was to put 1000 rounds thru it and come back then if I still had issues.

Then have been to the range a few more times and used CCI Stingers. Finally found something that worked real well. No issues with FTE or FTF till about 185 rounds. Ran my Hoppes bore snake thru and continued to let em rip. Shortly after started to have FTE. I have found when this gun gets dirty it starts to have issues.

I think when this gun gets broken some more the issues will get better. They already have gotten better with every range session.

The accuracy of this gun is very good. It has decent sights and able to line up with the target well. Decent groupings at 7 yards. Even the wife shoots well with it. I really like the light trigger pull helps with accuracy. The gun breaks down really easy for cleaning compared to other .22 hand guns.
tobster

Postby firedawg60 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm picking mine up Tuesday night. This is my first .22 pistol and my first Sig. Looking forward to it. Done some research and hopefully won't have a lot of issues. Of course, I can't play with it until after Christmas as it's a present from my wife! Yep, I got me a good'n this time!!
firedawg60

Postby sdtfishing59 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:33 pm

save some money and get a great gun ,buy a buck mark .it will shoot any amo you put in it, has a real warrenty, trigger pull is about 1/2 of the mosquito, my mosquito has aBOUT 300 ROUNDS of that 1/2 were a major issue, it will cost me 205 to fix it because it went past the 1 year warenty, this gun is the only sig with a 1 year warrenty, and is made by another gunmaker. I bopught a buck mark and could't be happier. and I'm saving up to get this 400$ paper weight fixed so I can get rid of it. GOOD LUCK
sdtfishing59

Postby firedawg60 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:56 pm

59, what kind of ammo were you using? Or what were the other issues with it?
firedawg60

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols