>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms P239 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby gonga05 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:32 am

I havent had any problem at all with my sig 239. must ad that I have been using the cheapest ammo in the market for practicing. Who knows perhaps the problem was caused because of the so called limp wristling.
gonga05

Postby cdbruster » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 pm

kac453... One of the main reasons regarding a failure of the slide not locking to the rear after the last round is magazine related. I would try inserting my empty magazine into the pistol with the slide forward and then rack the slide. If the slide goes back forward, it is either a magazine / magazine follower or slide lock catch issue. If the slide stays open, then I would be a bit suspicious of the recoil spring or the ammo. If the recoil spring is too heavy (or needs to break in) the slide may be opening far enough to eject and chamber but may not far enough to engage the slide lock. If the ammo is undercharged with powder, you may experience similar symptoms however you stated this was new non-reloaded but was it factory ammo?

I doubt you were limp wristing. If you have been a shooter for 50 years, you know when you are limp wristing a pistol. Besides, the limp wristing effects the polymer pistols a lot more than it would your P239. My wife limp wristed horribly when I introduced her to shooting and I seen her cause my glock to malfunction because of it buy my all metal semi-auto were not effected. If I were you I would bear in mind that Sig's are premium pistols and like a lot of premium pistols they may require 500 rounds or so to break in. If the problems are still occuring after that, then I would call Sig.
cdbruster

Postby cdbruster » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:43 pm

kac453... One of the main reasons regarding a failure of the slide not locking to the rear after the last round is magazine related. I would try inserting my empty magazine into the pistol with the slide forward and then rack the slide. If the slide goes back forward, it is either a magazine / magazine follower or slide lock catch issue. If the slide stays open, then I would be a bit suspicious of the recoil spring or the ammo. If the recoil spring is too heavy (or needs to break in) the slide may be opening far enough to eject and chamber but may not far enough to engage the slide lock. If the ammo is undercharged with powder, you may experience similar symptoms however you stated this was new non-reloaded but was it factory ammo?

I doubt you were limp wristing. If you have been a shooter for 50 years, you know when you are limp wristing a pistol. Besides, the limp wristing effects the polymer pistols a lot more than it would your P239. My wife limp wristed horribly when I introduced her to shooting and I seen her cause my glock to malfunction because of it buy my all metal semi-auto were not effected. If I were you I would bear in mind that Sig's are premium pistols and like a lot of premium pistols they may require 500 rounds or so to break in. If the problems are still occuring after that, then I would call Sig.
cdbruster

Postby kac453 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Thank you cdbruster, I think you are right regarding recoil spring break-in or possibly plain old break-in. My son and I have put another 150 plus rounds through the gun shooting strong and weak arm one handed shooting and rapid fire without a single malfunction. The fact that the 8 malfunctions occurred during a series of 20 consecutive shots, then never occurred again, is very suggestive of a break-in issue. The ammo during the malfunctions was Winchester USA. We have put more than 250 rounds of that same ammo through it since without a malfunction.
kac453

Postby cdbruster » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:01 am

kac453... I'm glad to hear the malfunctions have ceased. I have a tremendous amount of regard for the Sig Sauer P239 and all Sig's for that matter. The P239 in .40 S&W is my concealed carry piece and in this former US Marine's, former Law Enforcement Officer's and Electrical Engineer's opinion, there is not a better firearm to foot the bill of a CCH. If I recall, it took a couple hundred round to break in my P239 as well but now it is as reliable as any semi-auto on the market today.
cdbruster

Postby gunnutz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:59 am

AHMEN!
gunnutz

Postby glodeputy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:21 am

what is the best holster to use ccw with the sig 239?
glodeputy

Postby glodeputy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:21 am

what is the best holster to use ccw with the sig 239?
glodeputy

Postby Hotrod911 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:05 pm

My wife has carried a P239/.40 for about 9 years & had about 600 to 700 rounds through it, I recently purchased her a new one identical to it, she shot about 150 rounds through it to check it out. I took the older one for myself, I have to say this is a work of art. no malfunctions with either of them and very accurate.

The hand grip is narrow and single stacked for concealment purposes, but slightly too narrow for me. I put Houge grips on both of them and now own 2 personal protection weapons that rank #1 in my book. I have shot a G27/.40 and really have nothing bad to say about the Glocks but would prefer to stick with the Sig Sauer.

glodeputy;

My carry holster for the P239 is a black Galco Gun Leather, paddle style. it fits snug to my side but it goes on a belt outside the pants & requires an untucked shirt to conceal. Uncle Mike's makes a soft, inside the pant holster that works good but I personally dont like the feel of an inside holster.

Good luck

Hotrod
Hotrod911

Postby rhino57 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:43 pm

I got my P239 9mm a couple months ago, the birth date was JANUARY 2009. I put HOGUE grips on and got 3 more mags from Midway. This pistol is the best 9mm I have ever owned,

Accuracy is outstanding and with 500 rounds down range I have had no problems of any kind. The pistol is a pleasure to shoot, a little on the high price side but you get what you pay for.
rhino57

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols