>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms P220 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby plastics_guy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:21 pm

I had a guy tell me that the new 290 they brought out was going to be .40 or .45 but I was disappointed to see that at this point it's only in 9mm.

I was like you that I was hoping they'd finally bring out a compact or sub compact .45. Hopefully on of these years Sig will catch a clue on that.
plastics_guy

Postby cachamelion » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:35 pm

They did. The P239 is easily concealable, even on smaller guys. It is bigger and heavier than something like the P290, but still fits the bill nicely. It is actually one the best backup and off-duty options available to those who work for the Secret Service.
cachamelion

Postby Zapawaf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Yea, from what I hear it's pretty much shooter preference. And with the .45acp it obviously holds less for that reason. Would you mind explaining to me the safety? I'm used to push button saftey or like our M4 is a switch. I hear most sigs use a nother system which somehow make it safer to carry with one in the chamber and concealed? But I don't understand how it works.

And thank you for your quick response :)
Zapawaf

Postby cachamelion » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:14 am

Most sigs use a decocker. It lowers the hammer safely so that you can carry the gun with one in the tube. This makes the first shot double actions, and the remaining shots are all single action.
cachamelion

Postby plastics_guy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:58 am

I don't know the complete mechanics of it, but it is a true decocker (unlike Beretta) and as I understand it, it disengages the sear and physically blocks the hammer so there is no way the hammer can contact, even if dropped. To me this is one of the single best features that Sig has over the competition. Then it's just a pull of the trigger in double action to send a round down range.

Watch for those DAO (Double Action Only) or DAK that they had out for a while. I prefer a traditional double/ single and to me this is a better set up for a concealed carry gun.

And so I'm sure to mention, I know they have the P250 but I still have to see one in .45 much less the .45 in the sub-compact frame. Plus just about every shop I've been in that carries Sig has mentioned it's been plagued with various issues. How true that is I don't know, but I do know the price and availability doesn't seem to great. These dealers have also said Sig has been falling down on their support and also is unwilling to work on their pricing to dealers. Someone said that Sig brought the guy to manage them that was the one responsible for running Kimber into the ground. Go figure.

Cachamelion - good point on the 239. I just keep holding out hope for a slimmer, lighter version of the 220. When you look at what Kahr has done in a .45 I find it hard to believe Sig couldn't give us something slimmer and smaller while still maintaining the features, functions, reliability, and accuracy that has mad them so great.
plastics_guy

Postby Bane7212 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 am

Way too many options on the 220. I know I want this particular model, but the sig site has so many different variants. Any suggestion from the community? I know I don't want the DAK but other than that Im undecided. Thanks!
Bane7212

Postby cachamelion » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:05 am

I love the SAO version. Not legal in all states, but if you can get it, I highly recommend it. This was my first firearm, and is still my favorite
cachamelion

Postby jeffwat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:50 am

I presently have a Sig Sauer P220. I have the exchange kit that converts my Sig Sauer P220 2-Step .22lr to .45ACP. What I want is only a frame for the Sig Sauer P220 so I can have two full-time functional Sig Sauer P220s. Any assistance you can give with this request would be greatly appreciated. When I contacted Sig Sauer, they said they only sell the package not the frame. Thank you, jeffwat@Bresnan.net Jeffrey Watson, Butte, Montana.
jeffwat

Postby plastics_guy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 pm

I think since the frame contains the trigger group/ fire control mechanism(whatever you prefer to call it), under BATF rules that is the serialized controlled part of the pistol. Therefore, to get a "frame" you will have to get a separate pistol.

On Sig's P250 they get away with selling multiple frames and slides because the removable trigger group/ fire control is the serialized and controlled portion.
plastics_guy

Postby USMC66 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:53 am

I just bought a gently used Sig 220 and love it. I took it to the range yesterday and was very inpressed with how easy it is to shoot. It grouped very well and felt recoil was light, especially since I was shooting full power 230 grain loads. The only glitch I had was when I tried to load some surplus WRA 53 anno into the magazine. I could only put 4 rounds in it. There was an armorer there and he found the ammo was too long for the magazine. I have been shooting from this lot in my other 45 ACPs with no problems. I bought a new magazine at the range store and it was the same story. Has anybody else encountered this problem? I had some PMC and Federal both 230 grain ball and they loaded fine and the gun had no hiccups what so ever.
USMC66

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols