>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms P220 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Doriadiver » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:05 am

Hey Plastics, any experience with the .22LR conversion on this gun? Seems a bit pricey. Might be better served just picking up a used Sig Mosquito. It's actually cheaper than the conversion from Sigs MSRP.
Doriadiver

Postby plastics_guy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:05 am

No I don't have any experience with it. I'm like you, the price seems a bit salty. I also totally don't get that .22lr version 220 they're selling. I guess it for those that want to look like they're carrying a 220. Bad part is that it isn't reverse convertable to a .45.

I like the look of the Mosquito but wish they had a long slide/ barrel version. To be honest them and Walther's 22 remind me of a toy. Like they designed them to look all tactical (not that that's bad) for kids - kind of like Airsoft.

Don't forget about the Trailside. I'm trying to talk my buddy out of his Sig Trailside .22 - these things are so sweet. Hammerelli built them for Sig and they are a one hole shooter. Keep your eyes out for one of those if you want an awesome .22
plastics_guy

Postby idahpostman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:51 pm

Plastics guy... you are mistaken. The P220 in .22 caliber is indeed "reverse convertable" to .45. My original plan was to buy a P220 in .45 cal and the .22 conversion kit for it. After reviewing the options available, I purchased a SIG Sauer P220BR-22-BAS in .22 caliber. Then opted to buy one of SIG's "X-CHANGE" kits in .45 caliber. This kit is as easy as it gets for swapping from .22 to .45 cal. Kudos SIG! Advantage of my purchase (for me) was that I got a frame with some enhanced features (beavertail grip - like the SIG ELITES- and a SRT - SHORT RESET TRIGGER) and the price was "relatively" cheap for the combo. $477 for the base SIG .22 (including 2 mags) and $392 for the .45 cal X-CHANGE kit. $869 total, including tax, for "two" new SIGs. Advantage is, now I can use the same platform I use for concealed carry and by a simple change out of the upper and mag I can practice with .22 ammo for a fraction of the cost of .45 shells. I get to use the same frame to master the pistols controls and grip. Only negatives, in my opinion, are that the .45 X-CHANGE kit only comes with one 8 round mag and the .22 does not have a bolt hold open feature after the last round is discharged. Already bought extra .45 magazines to correct one of my dislikes. Rate the pistol as a +10.
idahpostman

Postby Doriadiver » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Thanks for the 411 Ida. It's just as simple as replacing the barrel, slide and mag??? Seems too easy. The cost of .45 acp is killing me and I have neither the time, space or ambition to start learning how to reload.
Doriadiver

Postby idahpostman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Swapping out a SIG is so easy, a cave man can do it... The slide, barrel, recoil spring, recoil spring guide are all caliber specific, as is the mag. The slide with all its parts swap as a single unit with the other caliber slide.

1. Unload pistol.

2. Retract slide to the stop and lock open by engaging the slide catch lever.

3. Verify empty chamber.

4. Rotate takedown lever clockwise to a vertical (6 o'clock) position.

5. Retract slide slightly to disengage the slide catch lever, and move the complete slide assembly forward off the frame.

Reverse the operations and your new caliber slide is installed. Insert new magazine and charge and you are ready to rock and roll. Takes longer to read than to accomplish. Real world swap, including mags, takes all of 15 seconds. Not kidding. Two thumbs up for making a truely user friendly product.
idahpostman

Postby plastics_guy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Ida, I agree that a Sig is the easiest pistol to take down. I've always loved that about them.

On the .22 to .45 conversion I only had looked at one last year but I swear there was no decocker on it. I know the guy at the shop said same as you, no slide hold back. He was the one that told me it wasn't convertible, so I apologize if I spread a falsity. Obviously either he was wrong, or it was the model I looked at or possibly that X-CHANGE kit wasn't out.

Sounds like you have a nice set up and it would be nice to be able to shoot .22 instead of pricey .45. I might have to take a second look at this.
plastics_guy

Postby Doriadiver » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:08 am

Sounds almost too easy........It's definitely one of the easiest guns I own to field strip. When's my next paycheck??? Hmmmm.........
Doriadiver

Postby johnnyz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:22 am

QUESTION: I shoot an H&K USP Compact in 45ACP and can shoot competition in a cocked and locked mode. I love the configuration in DA/SA, decock, and safety. I believe Sig has no safety in any of it's 45ACP except their 1911s. There I lose my SA/DA.

Love the H&K but would like a heavier, stainless Sig with the same configuration. Do they make one or can you modify the 220 or such?
johnnyz

Postby cachamelion » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:58 pm

I believe Sig only has the safety on their Single Action Only versions.
cachamelion

Postby Doriadiver » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:57 pm

No safety on my S/A D/A p220. Shoots great, love it to death....but no safety. Friend today shot it for the first time and liked it better than my Kimber at about half the price. I think they're comparable.....which is saying a lot considering the price point of each. GREAT gun!
Doriadiver

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols