>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 17 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby jordan » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:05 pm

I JUST FIRED ABOUT 200 ROUNDS THRU MY 17 TODAY AND THE FRONT SIGHT FELL OFF. PLASTIC SIGHT. THE GUN GOT PRETTY WARM. THIS EVER HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE? ALSO I HAVE A 33 RND. MAG FOR THE 17 WHICH I LIKE TO LOAD UP AND RAPID FIRE FOR SHITS AND GRINS. MY BROTHER KEEPS TELLING ME I WILL DESROY THE PISTOL BY DOING THIS. ANY INPUT ON THIS WOULD BE COOL. THANX.
jordan

Postby epwrangler » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:44 pm

S&W also uses plastic sights. Thye are not very secure either. The rear sight has a flat metal spring under it. The front sight is melted on so guess what if the slide warms up?

glock quality....kind of strange. I could live without a rear sight more than a front one. By the way I bought one of those long mags back when for a spare under the front seat.
epwrangler

Postby jdeangelis99 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:30 pm

I never heard of that happening..Look at the glock 18 auto matic pistol That gun gets alot warmer and uses the same sights.. Did you buy the gun used? It is bad for your gun to shoot that much rapid fire.. It might ruin the barrel. My advice don't shoot that many rounds rapid fire.
jdeangelis99

Postby jordan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:58 pm

I DID BUY IT NEW. THE GUN SHOP REPLACED IT FREE OF CHARGE. I'VE ONLY HAD IT FOR 2-3 WEEKS. FIRED ABOUT 500 ROUNDS THRU IT. THE GUY AT THE GUN SHOP SAID THAT IT SHOULD NEVER HEAT UP ENOUGH TO CAUSE THE SIGHT TO MELT AND FALL OFF.
jordan

Postby epwrangler » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 pm

So, if it were so bad to shoot a few long mags through the 17, what keeps the barrel in a 18 from melting? Got to carry spare barrels too? That gets costly fast. Remind sme of a friend who once was bragging about all his class three guns. I aked him how often he shot them and his reply was not often becaus e the cost for ammo got very expensive. He never did mention having to replace a barrel. Also had a buddy back when I was a teen whose dad was a firearms instructor for the FBI. Sometimes we could talk him into taking us rabbit hunting with Thompsons. That was great fun.
epwrangler

Postby epwrangler » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:04 pm

So, if it were so bad to shoot a few long mags through the 17, what keeps the barrel in a 18 from melting? Got to carry spare barrels too? That gets costly fast. Reminds me of a friend who once was bragging about all his class three guns. I asked him how often he shot them and his reply was not often because the cost for ammo got very expensive. He never did mention having to replace a barrel. Also had a buddy back when I was a teen whose dad was a firearms instructor for the FBI. Sometimes we could talk him into taking us rabbit hunting with Thompsons. That was great fun.
epwrangler

Postby TempleOwl » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:36 am

Hey everyone I am knew to hand guns. I want to make a purchase and I don't know much of all about anything. I spent about an hr in a store and ended up pretty decided towards the Glock 17. After reading some things on here I heard reviews on it about the sites melting off. I can get this gun for $655 out the door. Is this a bad purchase? Is there something better in a 9mm for me? I am a beginner.
TempleOwl

Postby g4l » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Since you said your new to guns, lets start with a few questions. What is your reason of purchase; range fun, home defense, or concealed carry? This will help decide factors such as caliber, cost to shoot, size of the firearm and so on. Think about your main use first and then go from there, for example.... in a range gun you might want the cheaper 9mm ammo, and a full size gun like the 17. For concealed carry size will be a huge factor, and a compact model will suit better. Welcome to the site and I'm sure the members will help steer you in a good direction, also remember to do as much research on your own as possible to make an educated purchase.
g4l

Postby TempleOwl » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:17 pm

I am making the purchase for range firing and home defense. Concealed carrying is not an issue since I don't have a permit. Is $655 out the door a good price for this gun? From what I've read on this site people have had trouble with the plastic sites and a lot of people like the Springfield XD. What do you guys think for a beginner?
TempleOwl

Postby g4l » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:43 pm

That was only one guy who had that problem, I assure you its uncommon. If the gun your looking at has night sights, then $655 is in the ballpark, if not, it should run approx $100 cheaper, but personally I prefer the gun with n/sights. Now for range/home defense the full size is the way to go. Nothing against 9mm, but again just my personal preference would be a .40 or .45, the Glock 22 is a full size in .40 and the same size as the 17, but with more balls to it. Ive fired a few XD's, just not for me but there's guys here that swear by them. Is there any chance you could rent the two brands at your range? If not hold both at the store and see what feels better. From my experience with Glock perfection sums it all up, I'm sure thats why they chose it as their slogan; XD, well, good but not Glock. lol You better hit the XD forum to get a balanced opinion though.
g4l

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols