>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther P99 QA Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby razr » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:24 pm

Gooseman4, handgun accuracy is not as straightforward as say, a rifle accuracy. Handguns are designed for a variety of uses and generally speaking, the quality of out of the box guns today is much better than ever. Accuracy is about consistency of the gun, ammo and you, the "shooter". Any gun will be as accurate as you can shoot it. My 1911 shoots 1" groups at 50 yards, its an expensive custom gun, but could I shoot it and get that result at 50 yards? I dont think I can. As far as reliability, Walthers are reliable and accurate for a smaller frame 4" barrel guns. I get good groups at 15 yards. Go to your local range and talk to people, try shooting as many different guns as you can. Read as much as you can on sites like this and get professional training if available in your area before you buy your first. Hope this helps.
razr

Postby razr » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:34 am

As a side note, and as much of a fan as I am when it comes to P99s. Since I have put 4000 rounds thru my pistol, I thught I order two guide rods one as a replacement and one as a back up. Walther said it was back ordered 2 to 3 weeks. I made a call 3 weeks ago and was told they were expecting a shippment from Germany. So I sent them an email last Friday asking about the parts. Guess what guys, its been over 9 weeks. The reposnse I get from Walther aka S&W is that they should be in in a few weeks. Boy if you ever need parts for this gun, you might as well take it to a smith and pay them to replace it. I think S&W customer service is very unprofessional when it comes to repsonding to customers. I give the gun a 5 star rating and their service a zero.
razr

Postby bobbfwed » Thu May 17, 2007 5:20 pm

This pistol is a bit of a problem for me. It operates reliably, and general function and maintenances is great, but there are some issues. Anyone I hand this gun to complains about the trigger. It is too small and annoys most shooters, and the pull is long and not at all smooth (when I first bought it, it was atrocious, but once broke it it felt a little better). The gun didn't shoot too great (accuracy-wise), but after a couple thousand rounds, you were lucky if the bullet hit the target at 7-yards. After the gun was sent to Walther, they sent it back with a brand new stainless steel barrel, free of charge, and now it shoots well. I still don't particularly like the gun, I give it 3.5-stars, and Walther support is good.
bobbfwed

Postby junior » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:53 am

its true the trigger sucks, long and stiff, after 500 rds still hard not accurate after 20yds , im trading my for a sig p226 or sp2022 40 s&w .
junior

Postby Valikyte » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:36 pm

I purchased this handgun after much research and looking for the features I truely wanted in a conceal carry. The trigger does take a little getting used to, but when you take into account that it also is the guns safety, it all comes together. Recoil is very controllable and accuracy is excellent up to 25 yards in my trips to the range. The weapon is extremely balanced in my hand, especially with a full magazine. This gun is also VERY light, perfect for concealed carry, at least for someone my size (I'm a big guy). I have not had a single jam yet with almost 500 rounds through it (some cheap S & B as well as some high end Hornady). The decocker button, mag release, 1cm recock pull on the slide and trigger all compliment each other on this very modern and reliable carry piece. I would highly recommend this firearm as part of any collection or regular carry piece. Workmanship is also very impressive.
Valikyte

Postby Glock.22. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:13 pm

I bought a new P99 classic style and overall I liked the gun until it started to jam. I know the problem was with the mag followers. Im not 100% which color followers were good and which were bad but I think it came with orange from the factory and those jam. You can contact Walther and they will send you the blue followers and they work better but I still had a jam every couple mags. I had also bought a LaserDevice laser for it which was nice but for $400... I eventually traded the Walther with the laser for a new Glock 22 and have not had one jam. I absolutly do not regret trading over $900 worth of gun and laser for a $600 Glock. Best thing I could have done.
Glock.22.

Postby shawn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:43 pm

has anyone tried out one of those new PPS models yet?
shawn

Postby wflinn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:16 pm

The pistol range where I normally shoot let me try one out. I shot about 50 rounds of .40SW through it. The recoil wasn't bad at all. But man, that trigger pull does indeed take some getting used to.

If I were to buy one of these, I would practice, practice, practice and not use it as a primary defense weapon until I practiced some more, because the sights take a little getting used to (for me, anyway), and that loooong trigger pull will definitely take me awhile to get used to.

My accuracy with it the first time out wasn't very good at 7 yards. And I'm not entirely certain it was all me, because I also tried out a Springfield XD9 and shot out the entire center of the target at 7 yards.

Still giving this one some thought.
wflinn

Postby wflinn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Went ahead and rented one again at the range I shoot at. Second time around was much better. Got used to the trigger, and this one shot very smoothly. I think any problems I was having with the range gun previously were due to that particular gun.
wflinn

Postby gliffe » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:17 pm

My P99AS seems to get better every time I take it to the range. I have put 2200 rounds through it since June and it consistently performs better each time I take it to the range. I feel extremely confident with the P99. It eats everything I put into it, it extremely accurate, feels great (melts into your hand)and FLAWLESS. I feel That the P99AS is a sleeper...this is a one very underrated pistol that is often overlooked.
gliffe

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols