>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther PPK/S Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Walther PPK/S Reviews

Postby DrDanO » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:28 am

I bought my PPK/S about 6 months ago. Put 400+ rounds though it. (sorry lost count) I have yet to have a jam or misfire with my PPK/S. It is very accurate and a joy to shoot and I love owning it, its like a fine jewel... that is a beautifu piece of mechanical workmanship with a fine history. Wouldnt part with it.
DrDanO

Postby jamie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:53 pm

I bought a new stainless PPK in Feb. 2005. I experienced many many jams with hollow points. Enough to lot be able to use this weapon for my off duty backup. I called WaltherAmerica and they had me send it back to them. They also fired the rounds I used and they experienced the same problems. The problem was in the feeding ramp. They polished and ported the PPK. What a difference. No jams. Period. Even though I experienced this problem I recommend this fine weapon to anyone.
jamie

Postby popo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:52 pm

I bought this gun as a backup after I got tired of being jammed in the ribs with my baby glock. I love it. It is small yet solid gun. My older PPK doesnt have the larger tail below the hammer like in the picture, so I have to watch for the slide coming back and biting me. It only takes once to learn the lesson not to hold it that high though. Other than that I have no complaints. I like it better then either my duty issue Glock or my baby Glock. Makes a great backup or off duty weapon. It is nice to have a gun I can just throw into my pocket with a pocket holster without have to strap on a concealment holster.
popo

Postby bama » Wed May 03, 2006 6:45 pm

I had a PPK back in the 80s - a fine pistol I traded after 10 years. I now have the S&W PPK/S. Im quite happy with it! Like some others said, I have other pistols, but keep returning to the little Walther. Ergonomics and accuracy are great for me. Mine is a little ammo sensitive. It likes Rem UMC FMJ, but fails to feed the Winchester White Box and Federal FMJ reliably. Unsure why - need to compare cartridges with a micrometer. Enjoy those PPKs (and be sure to test with various brands of ammo - otherwise you will be annoyed and fail to see the pistols potential)!
bama

Postby tomt » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:57 am

I just bought a S & W PPK/S and love it. Fired 30 rounds thru it so far with no problems at all. Will test more before committing it to a carry weapon, but I can see no reason for any problems. Excellent qaulity.
tomt

Postby ShadeWPI » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:06 am

I own a Glock 20, when my friend came up to visit me with a Walther PPK in a .380 Auto, I was a little hesitant - the bullets fit into the spent 10mm casing with only a tad of the bullet tip extending past the throat of the empty brass.

His Walther had problems with one of the magazines not feeding the last round consistantly, but that might have been the spring. If youre thinking about one, pick it up and feel it, in my big paws, this gun doesnt "feel"" right, even with the pinkie grip on the bottom of the magazine. and take the advice of the other commenters - have the feed ramp, throat and chamber polished by your gun-smith, then pick your concealled carry ammunition and buy a box of 50 rounds, if you get a malfunction, try a different concealled carry ammunition. When you get through 50rd without a problem, buy a box of 500 rounds. If you can feed 500 rounds without a malfuction, you should be confident that the gun will reliabily feed in a stressful situation. I do this even for my Glock, which is renounded for its reliability.
ShadeWPI

Postby bearbob » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:09 pm

I bought my new S & W PPK/S .380 about a week ago and just got back from firing 50 rounds of magtech ball ammo with no problems whatsoever. I have read some cases from here and there about it being prone to jamming on some JHP which has caused me a little concern seing how this is my day to day carry weapon, but my local dealer has assured me that that was hang ups that the older ones had. He said the new ones will pretty much fire any hollow points ok. So i still have to do some testing to ease my mind a little, and ill report back when i do. I would love to shoot the Hydro- Shok if it will fire them consistently. Other than those concerns right now, i love it. Its small, compact, and has a great feel and look. You also cant help but feel like a super spy when you carrying this gun. Yeah its no 9mm but for me a bullet is a bullet, its still going to do serious damage, and hurt like piss to boot. I can kill someone with a .22 short, so having 7 .380 Hydro-Shok in the clip and 1 in the hole is plenty for me. If i need more than that, im in something i really dont want or need to be in. Ill let you know once i have done some more testing. Good shooting everyone.... :)
bearbob

Postby smschulz » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:29 pm

I have mixed comments on this weapon. I have a Stainless PPK/s purchased used about 8 years ago. First, I love the size. It is fairly acurate and the sights are a little hard to see. It would be a great carry gun..but two things bother me...1) the slide is very stiff and somewhat difficult to retract and 2) I get the ocassional "stovepipe"" jam.. I have had a ramp job but perhaps a lighter spring will help. I have no intentions of getting rid of it but am hesitent using it as a carry gun ~ I need more dependability.. I am hopeful that I can resolve the issues but still like it anyway."
smschulz

Postby KirknDee » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:51 am

Great gun. I have owned this 16 years and just now had to replace the hammer and recoil spring.
KirknDee

Postby CHAS » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Bought new ppk/s a year ago tried Hydro-Shok, jamming Winchester silver tip feeds fine Going to try the Winclean

95gr. BEB Until I feel confident will carry my Colt Officers 45 heavy,but does the job
CHAS

Next

Return to Pistols