>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther PPK/S Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby nightnurse716 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:21 pm

I just bought a Walther PPK/S , took it to the range and had no problems at all , with full metal jackets or hollow points. The main problem came to field stripping the gun. I am unable to pull the slide all the way back to remove it, I notified WaltherAmerica, and they told me there may be to much tension on the recoil spring and told me to send it back to them, to assess the problem.
nightnurse716

Postby GitanoJoe » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:11 am

I just bought a Walther PPK/S 3 days ago and after putting 100 rounds through it at the range, without any troubles yesterday, field stripped the gun. After removing the slide, which came off easily enough, the ejector and spring popped right off the gun. The spring was a small one and with some difficulty I managed to reinsert it. Confident that the gun was correctly reassembled, I put another 30 rounds through the gun today. Again, without any troubles. I then attempted to field strip the gun and just cant seem to get the slide to come up when I pull it back. Perhaps it is just not back all the way, but I did not have this problem yesterday and so dont suspect the spring. Ill call WaltherAmerica on Monday. Its a very accurate little gun, seems very sturdy and Im definetly not giving up on it but have no clue why I cant field strip it again or why it came further apart than I wanted it too (without any effort) when I stripped it previously.
GitanoJoe

Postby CHAS » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:19 pm

I too field stripped my PPK/S and the ejector spring and ejector popped out. I was able to reinsert it with difficulty.

I tried the 380 95gr. BEB, also fed fine. only ammo that

stovepipes is the Federal Hydro shock. I love the gun and will now carry with the Winchester Silvertip HP
CHAS

Postby jwp91 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 pm

My two week old PPK/S-1 is on its way back to the factory, suffering a complete failure of the DA trigger linkage. This, after 35 rounds. Good accuracy at 15 feet, a joy to shoot, itll be awhile before I can trust it again.
jwp91

Postby KirknDee » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:17 am

I use the 85 Gr Silvertip and neither has let me down. I replaced the springs and ejector after 18 years but that is about all. I got the springs from Woff and the ejector from S & W with no problems.
KirknDee

Postby nightnurse716 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:42 pm

I recieved my gun back from Walther, they said the recoil spring was to long which they adjusted and now I can field strip the gun. Tried it at the range the other day, had no problems.
nightnurse716

Postby TexasBruno » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Bought the gun August 26th, a week ago but didnt get to fire it until Sept 2nd. My wife cant maneuver the slide on any 9mm and we even went through quite a few rental .380s. Im a Beretta person so the Beretta 86 with the tip-up barrel was my choice for her but Im still looking. Anyhow, the Walther S&W was $519 at Cheaper than Dirt although a Bersa would have been another choice which they dont carry. We fired 150 rounds through the .380 and every few shots we had to cycle the hammer...later we realized that the safety was not tight hence the detent was setting it to safe ??

Upon taking it back to Cheaper than Dirt to see what they could do, the salesman showed us that the ejector was missing too. Now mind you, we bought this gun new a week ago, fired 150 rounds to break it in and it falls apart. Cheaper than Dirt took it upon themselves to send it back to Walther for repair at their cost to ship it. When we get it back (2-4 weeks), we are going to put it on consignment. After speaking with another gunshop (opinions vary) they state that since S&W took over the Walther line, that the gun is basically an unreliable piece of sh*t. We did purchase another .380, a CZ 83 Browning which well shoot today. The CZ was my wifes first choice last week due to the grip felt better to her and I talked her into the Walther because of the stainless and her need to carry on horseback...less to maintain. To summarize, Im dissappointed in this pistol and Im damn glad we took it to the range rather than file it away, loaded, not knowing if and when the time came to use it...if it would protect my wife.
TexasBruno

Postby blackcampbell » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:19 pm

Ive had an FEG knockoff of the PPK/S for 10 years and never had troubles with it. So I felt safe purchasing one of the new stainless models. I have had constant jams, culminating with the slide stop/ejector snapping in half! I called S&W and they are sending a new one, but at this point, Im tending toward returning to either a 3 1911 or a KelTec.

Ive been carrying my FiveseveN while the PPK is deadlined; its lighter and 100% reliable.
blackcampbell

Postby popo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:38 pm

I retract my previous review. After numerous jams and three trips to the gunsmith, I cant trust this thing with anything other then looking pretty and going to the range. That is why I switched back to my Glock 26.
popo

Postby blackcampbell » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:13 pm

Strangely, like pop I have to retract my statement. I got the part from S&W and the new ejector/slide stop s much beefier. It fired with only a single jam over 100 rounds.

The kick, however, is still shockingly strong, when compared to my wifes .45, and keeps bruising my thumb joint. Gonna have to find a hold that minimizes that.
blackcampbell

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols