>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kimber CDP Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby keyman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Two days ago, I happened onto a CDP II 9mm. Took it to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds of Winchester White box through it along w/six hollow points. That little Sugar-Booger performed perfectly. No mishaps of any kind. The recoil is very light and the accuracy is spectacular ! ! !

I know that these guns must have more than 100 rounds before they can actually be considered "broke in." But if the first 100 is any indication of what will happen later on, then I am ecstatic at the performance.

My Ultra Carry II is solid black, and is beautiful, but this gun is as beautiful as they come, and the fact that it was built in the Custom Shop, makes it even better.

I will be posting range results as time goes by, and if anything unusual happens, I will let you know. But for now, I'm in love with this little Sugar-Booger.
keyman

Postby JTL » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:14 pm

I have been carrying my CDP Compact for nearly one year now IWB every day. A few upgrades include: Wilson Combat Mags (most reliable and a must have), VZ ultra-thin gator grips, upgraded Wilson Combat mainspring housing, and custom made Ky-Tac (kydex) holster (best custom fit holsters that I have owned). I can easily conceal with plain haines T-shirt and cargo shorts as this gun easily melts into my everyday wardrobe. As I have mentioned before, I highly reccommend the CDP. The only gun I would pick over this is the Wilson Combat which is considerably heavier due to the all steel frame. The CDP is the perfect CCW...
JTL

Postby keyman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:38 pm

I may be eating these words before long, but for now, and 300 rounds through my CDP II 9mm, I have used three different Kimber Magazines w/out a single blip of any kind. I also have an Ultra Carry II 45, and the same with it. There have been six or seven hundred rounds fired w/four Kimber mags, and no blips to this point.

The 9mm mags are a little different from the 45s, but they are both working flawlessly. Hopefully, it will stay that way. I'll keep you posted.

3-17-09 Update . . . Another 100 rounds and still no mishaps of any kind. This makes 400 flawless rounds, so I think it would be fair to say that the gun is officially "broke in."

Let me say again, that the Kimber line of guns is outstanding. Mine are in the stable to stay. Excellent weight distribution for concealed carry, superb dependability, and beauty to match.

3-25-09 Update . . . Yesterday the 500th round went through the fine Kimber 9mm, with no flaws of any kind. Five hundred rounds and no blips of any kind is quite remarkable, to me. The gun still has perfect patterns, and the recoil is very light compared to other 9mm guns that I have fired.

There is no question that this gun costs more than most others of this caliber, but I honestly feel that this is as fine a gun as you will find, regardless of the price. You've just gotta hold it and shoot it to realize what a fine weapon that it is.
keyman

Postby epwrangler » Sun May 10, 2009 1:21 pm

I am about to be the owner of a new Kimber Compact Stainless II. It is an officer sized aluminum frame.
epwrangler

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:03 pm

What did you do, win the lottery? LOL! It's a nice looking pistol, congrats.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby jamesthecarguy » Tue May 12, 2009 1:15 am

Just an update on my Ultra CDP. I've had it a little over a year now and am probably only approaching 600 rounds through it. Still functioning perfectly and the Kimber mag has not had a single problem. The Wilson Combat mag that had issues early on is now functioning properly as well. Maybe the Wilson mag needs to be broken in just like the gun??

At any rate, I just got my concealed carry permit so I'll be toting it around alot more. We'll see how the finish holds up after lots of time in a holster.

Still wholeheartedly recommend the Kimber.
jamesthecarguy

Postby keyman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:52 am

My Kimber CDP II 9mm is so reliable and accurate that I hardly ever carry it to the range. I'm positive of the patterns that it will perform, and trouble free dependability that it will give.

After seeing and reading about the new Aegis Kimbers, I bought one, and I must say, Kimber did it again. The gun is just phenominal on accuracy and dependability.

Mine is the Aegis Ultra II 9mm. What a fine gun ! ! Kimber is as good as they get. I couldn't ask for anything better.
keyman

Postby keyman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:22 pm

Yesterday I took my CDP II and Aegis II . . . both 9mm to the range. Using one box of Federal 9mm, one box of Winchester 9mm, and one box of Fiocchi 9mm hollow points.

I used three Kimber factory mags. (The only kind of mags that I use w/my Kimbers.)

Loading the three mags, one w/five Federals, one w/five Winchester and one w/five Fiocchi hollows. I loaded the mags this way for the full seventy-five rounds for each gun.

There was not one FTF, FTE of any kind with either gun. They and the magazines worked perfect every shot. Needless to say, I was quite pleased.

I think that loading the mags this way, and using different brands w/every mag is a reasonable test as to the quality and reliability of the Kimber brand.

If you read all the threads posted here, you will notice that the first thing that they do, is to buy non-factory mags. After several hundred rounds through my Kimber guns, I am still using the factory mags. If there is a way to disassemble them for cleaning, I haven't figured it out yet. But they are all working fine, so I'll wait until they quit working to figure it out.

Kimber is the ultimate gun . . . what more can I say ? ? ?

Five bullets for both of these excellent guns.
keyman

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:18 am

Hey Buddy, thanks for the review! Excellent information as usual from you, it's always a joy to read your remarks!

Regarding the magazines, have you considered blasting the fouling and crud away with the aerosol solvents, like Crud Buster or Gun Scrubber? It sure blows away (ha, ha!) the dirt! There is also the newer Ultrasonic cleaners available now. Just drop it into the solution, turn on the unit and come back a few minutes later to a spotless magazine. Couldn't be simpler :-)

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby keyman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 am

Hi, Tig . . . thanks for your response. I read somewhere about the Gun Scrubber & how it can clean the mags, but as yet haven't tried it. I have a full can of the GS, so I'll give it a try.

I failed to mention that both guns have a three-inch barrel. They both have an excellent point-of-aim on the target, and are exceptional in that respect. It is a real thrill to fire either gun.

Once again . . . five bullets . . .
keyman

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols