>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kimber Custom Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby electricman4759 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:00 pm

elderair: Like oldmac the Kimber UC is my primary CCW. I also have two springs, one for the range and one for everyday carry. The reason I do this is because I go through so many rounds at the range I didn't want the spring to get week and if I ever needed my weapon I need to make sure the spring would be up to the challage.

At the range I use stardard ball rounds and for self defense I use pow er ball rounds. I really love this round, I switch the rounds out from summer to winter. The summer round is a lighter round then the winter round. The winter round is a heavier load because of the extra clothes we wear, I want to make sure I can get to you if I need to.

Have fun with the Kimber, and remember if you take care of it; it will take care of you. Enjoy
electricman4759

Postby Doriadiver » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 am

Yup, still my choice for CCW as well. I and all my shooting buds, wife included, love shooting this gun.
Doriadiver

Postby AlaDan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Hello-

I've owned my stainless .45 ACP Kimber Ultra Carry II for 'bout

five years now (2006). Purchased NIB from my employer for

a total of $645 U.S. dollars. It has proven to be 100% reliable,

and remains as my daily carry piece. I like the 165 Cor-Bon

Pow'r Ball for defensive use. Yes, its expensive ammo; but its

well worth it for use in these short barreled semi-auto's~!
AlaDan

Postby electricman4759 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:55 pm

AlaDan: I love the pow'er Ball too, but the safety slugs are great for crowds and inside houses. The round will not over penetrate and will not richett if it hits a hard surface. This round was made for the air marshals. Just my 2cents.
electricman4759

Postby WITGUY » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:05 am

Robalan said"I often carry 7+1 uncocked with safety off. Sometimes the safety comes on. It seems to go on and off real easy. Does anyone else notice the safety moving from what they set to the opposite?"

If you have it uncocked the safety should not be able to move to the ON postion. If it does then you should have it checked. Please don't take offense but what is the point of being 7+1 with the hammer down? The loss of dexterity in high adrenaline situations is real! I know from experience. I am a multiple tour combat vet and if I did not feel comfortable carrying cocked and locked I would not carry at all. it comes down to a split second decision, either fire or don't. leaving the task of having to cock the hammer before you fire is a serious risk.
WITGUY

Postby St8Shooter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Agreed Wit and same here. One of the many reasons I like Glocks also.
St8Shooter

Postby WITGUY » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:40 pm

st8shooter...ur glocks , XD's and pistols like those are all carried in the cocked position with much less of a notable safety. The trigger safety on those are a joke. Even the backstrap safety is not much of one either if you have any amount of time with them...If you would consider carrying one of those then carrying a 1911 cocked and locked is an even safer option since you have thumb safety.

In my eyes the 1911 is about as safe as it gets. any safer then u would need to carry a safe on your back!
WITGUY

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Thank you for your service to our country WIT. I agree that carrying a 1911 with the hammer down is a bad idea. The 1911 has a grip safety and a thumb safety and is perfrectly safe to carry with the chambe loaded and the hammer cocked.

Why do you consider a trigger safety and a grip safety to be a joke? I say that because I concealed carry Glocks and XDs. Although my XD-45 does have a thumb safety.
Will_Carry

Postby St8Shooter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Oh I agree about the no safety on the Glock. It doesn't bother me. I also don't mind carrying condition 1 for my 1911's. Rule number 1 for me since I was young and also what I teach is don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Rule number 2 is don't point the weapon at something you are not ready to kill. My soldiers know not to play around with there weapons because they have seen me put my "NCO hat" back on. I've been in since 85'. I remember switching over from the 1911 to the POS M9. IMO a sad day for the Army...
St8Shooter

Postby electricman4759 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:29 pm

I also agree with WITGUY, why carry the 1911 7+1 and not have it cocked and locked? Even if you didn't put the thumb saftey on you still the back strip saftey the 1911 is the safeiest gun I have ever put in my hands.

I use to own several Glocks and as of now I have sold them all. Not because of anything bad agaist Glocks; I put my hands on a 1911 frame. That was like having a wet dream as a boy, beautiful.

The 1911 frame from Kimber fit my hands so well I couldn't hold anything else. Even my shooting got better with the Kimber. My follow up shoots are faster with the Kimber then they were with my old Glocks.

Remember shoot what you enjoy and enjoy what you shoot, all firearms are a self choice so choose for yourself not for your friends.
electricman4759

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols