>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kimber Custom Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Kimber Custom Reviews

Postby DUCKTWACY » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:23 am

I just plunked down a downpayment on a Kimber Tactical Custom II .45...was impressed with lightness and feel of the gun in my hand; seems to be two schools of thought on Kimber, them that love em, and them that dont....
DUCKTWACY

Postby Train » Sat May 20, 2006 3:44 am

Kimber Custom II TLE. This is the most accurate gun I have ever shot. I have put over 1000 rounds through it with no problems. Trigger is sweet. The best 1011 I have shot. Gold cup is great but I think Kimber takes the cake here. Have also shot a pro carry from Kimber. Have seen quite a few misfeeds but thinking it still might need to be broken in a little more.
Train

Postby ARBDesEng » Wed May 24, 2006 6:34 pm

So I bought the Ultra CDP II shown above. I thought I was getting a state of the art handgun. Reality proved to be something else. After shooting only 50 (yes, only 50) rounds through this gun, the plastic mainspring housing cracked. A call to the factory got me to a surly repair tech who at first didnt believe me, and told me that he would send a piece out to me. I called back later when I thought to ask who was going to pay for the gunsmith to put it in. So, then they wanted me to ship it back to them for repairs, my treat. When I balked, they said they would send UPS to pick it up, but since they couldnt say when, Id have to stay home from work until then. Luckily my local shop agreed to hold it for me until they picked it up. Fast forward 10 days. Now its back, the housing is replaced, but the barrel looks like its been replaced by an old one or treated very badly at the factory. I bought this for my carry gun, but I have lost faith in it. Ill carry my Sig P245 instead, and just keep this for the range. IN SUMMARY: good looking, broken housing, broken faith, Definitely not worth the $1200 I paid for it. Email me at unhappykimberowner@yahoo.com
ARBDesEng

Postby sniperdog202 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:06 pm

Have a Pro Carry II with over 500 rounds of all balitics through it, never had a feed or magazine jam. The action is as tight as the day I purchased it. Only dissapointment was the Kimber Balck/Greeen grips I purchased from the store. The color was off and they werent what I expected... Overall a great handgun if you can make the initial investment.
sniperdog202

Postby Tucson » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:07 pm

I really wish I could give a better review. I wanted my Kimber sooo much and now that I have owned it for a while Im not as happy as I expected to be. I have owned my fair share of handguns and this particular weapon jams (FTF mostly) more than any other Ive owned. Im an experienced shooter and have done everything needed to eliminate myself as the cause of any of the issues I have had. My grip is placed well and Im not limp wristing. Perhaps I need to find a magazine that works well with this pistol. Ive tried the Kimber stock mags and purchased Chip McCormic shooting star mags because they came highly recommended. Still have the same issue. If I have to bet my life on my gun Ill pick up my XD before I go for my Kimber which is too bad because I really want to love this gun.
Tucson

Postby faithnomas » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:15 pm

New, out of the box in 98, I expected good things from my Custom Target. It was about average in accuracy for similar single stacks but it did not like the semi-wad reloads I had hoped to use in it. FMJs worked better, but I decided to go through the whole gun and its now a custom Custom. Relaibility is better, but I did expect more from its reputation. I have also needed the rear adj. Bomar to get it dialed, the stock sight picture was too general.
faithnomas

Postby conrad81 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:31 pm

I purchased the SS Target II about a month ago and have put 500rnds through it. I used all winchester FMJ loads (value pack from walmart) and have had 2 FTF in the first 200rnds and havent had any the past 300rnds. Im guessing that the FTFs were from me limp wristing (new to 1911) or from the given break-in period. The custom II is accurate and should be with all of the match grade components its stocked with. The trigger pull is very light and smooth. Field stripping/cleaning is a breeze. This is my first 1911 and I had it field stripped by the second day and with the help of an excellent online demo, I had the gun fully dissasembled the following week. Other than the 2 FTFs in the first 200 rnds, this gun has been perfect and is a lot of fun to shoot.
conrad81

Postby wikdpiercer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:52 pm

i went to fire my new pro carry 45 acp and it jammed on the 3rd shot. id has been jamming on me every 5 rounds or so, so i traded it in on another gun
wikdpiercer

Postby Tucson » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:00 pm

I have to provide an update. I was at the range with my Kimber TLE this weekend. I want to say I posted my origonal review prematurely... I put 300 rounds through it and only had one issue this weekend. FTF using the origonal Kimber magazine. I decided to try the Kimber mag after having no issues putting 200 rounds through it with the Chip McCormic mag. The only malfunction I experienced was with the Kimber factory mag. I put that mag to the side and fired another 100 rounds using the Chip McCormic mag and experience no issues. It is my experience that the breakin period was more than I expected and the Kimber factory magazine has problems. I love the way this gun shoots. The fit and finish are great. The accuracy is top notch and with a the right magazine this gun is reliable.
Tucson

Postby Stanky626 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:32 pm

I picked up my Custom II last Friday and put 109 rounds through it the same day. The gun worked flawlessly. The instructions indicated a 500 round breakin period. So far all my shots have accurate with NO problems.

I did not use the factory mag. I purchased some KimPro 8-round mags previously and some no-name 10-round mags from eBay. They all worked beautifully. I would recommend the 10-round mags... its nice to have an extra 2 shots per mag.

My ammo selection consisted of Winchester 230 gr, MagTech 230 gr, and CCI Brass Blazer 230 gr. The Chesters had less of a recoil, while the Blazers had the heaviest recoil. All the rounds were very accurate from 25 feet to 25 yards.

This gun is everything I was hoping it would be. I cant wait to compete with it.
Stanky626

Next

Return to Pistols