>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec P-3AT Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby tazz500 » Tue May 08, 2007 6:51 pm

I felt compelled to respond to the negative feedback this gun is getting. I will fully admit that Kel-tec has quality control issues, and that "some" of their guns are defective, but anyone reading this forum should know that I have pushed over 1500 rounds of reloads, factory ammo, and just about every imaginable type of bullet down the barrel of the exact same gun, and nothing has broken, nothing has failed and I trust mine as much as any other automatic in my collection. The Boise Idaho police department even subjected this gun to the rigorous testing standards and then approved it for duty use as a backup weapon. Guns are mechanical, some fail, and some don't. If you got a bad one, it is somewhat unfair to tell all perpective buyers that "all" of that model are failures. Instead tell them that yours failed, and you did not like the design. Most people that dislike this gun tend to not like it because it is hard to handle, hard on your hand, and somewhat cheap looking. But the bottom line is, I would like to see anyone put a 5 shot revolver in their front jeans pocket and carry it around all day, without having someone wonder why they had a revolver in their pocket? Trust me I have several awesome .38's that are to the best of my belief the ideal self defense weapons. They never fail, they don't jam, and if they don't fire, you just pull the trigger again. I usually carry one on a belt holster because of the certain reliablity of such a gun, but with that said, you still cannot beat the ability of the Kel-tec to fit into a pocket and go with you when wearing a tank top and pair of shorts. Trust me when I say that I have one, and at least a dozen of my friends carry the same gun, we all shoot IDPA and are avid gun fans, if this gun did not fill a niche, and do what it needed to, we would not own or carry them. Just something for perpective buyers to think about, buy two guns, one larger one for carry whenever possible, and buy the P3AT for those times when appropriate carry just is not possible. Remember the golden rule, a gun in your pocket is much more useful than one sitting at home because it was to big to take along.
tazz500

Postby sawman » Tue May 08, 2007 8:36 pm

tazz I agree..I have same gun,,,,never had a problem, and I \carry it 24/7 AND NO PROBLEMS

SAWMAN
sawman

Postby k9sarge » Tue May 08, 2007 8:53 pm

Hey it's your bacon trust what ya will. I have been a cop for more than 23 years and have been in 3 shootings. I have never had to use my back-up weapon, but if I ever do, I need something I can trust and this gun ain't it...

Just passing along my experience as a cop and firearms instructor..

Stay safe..
k9sarge

Postby tazz500 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:58 pm

To be honest K9sarge, if I was active duty, and it wouldnt be questioned so much if I was made, I would probably just carry one of my larger guns in a nice leather belt holster all the time. Unfortunatly, even in states as gun friendly as Idaho, if someone sees a handgun on your belt while out shopping, they often call the police, and then you have to deal with being dragged out of the establishment, questioned, while a half dozen officers examine not only your ccw permit, but pretty much look over your history since birth. I really wish that it was more accepted for average citizens to carry handguns in high quality holsters, safely attached to your belt, especially as there is nothing safer than a good double action, hammer down carry, but there are always those that simply freak out when they see a gun. I was just hoping that those who really need to have a highly concealed weapon for reasons of privacy don't give up alltogether and go without, rather than look at a little plastic gun as an alternative. In regards to your 23 years on the force, thanks for watching over our backs, it is much appreciated.
tazz500

Postby god.loves.ugly » Wed May 09, 2007 1:01 am

again I have had this for a few months. and shot well over 500 rounds through it with out a problem what so ever... I have a 1000$ springfield that has jammed more than this, luckily I don't carry the springfield, I carry this or my kahr cw40 which have both been great guns.
god.loves.ugly

Postby k9sarge » Wed May 09, 2007 6:35 am

I'm with ya Tazz, and thanks much appreciated. I picked up a Walther/S&W PPK/S that I am real happy with. Having the trigger smoothed out right now and some other minor burrs filed down. It is a nice little piece that easy to conceal. I was really impressed with the accuracy. Maybe you might want to give one a try.

And thanks for your service to our country. I am former AF and my oldest son leaves in June for the Army, Ft. Benning and OCS after basic..
k9sarge

Postby tazz500 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:05 pm

Idahoser, I know from some testing that the P3AT will bring down just about anyone who is not loaded on some serious levels of meth or crank, eventually. We did tests using a variety of props, most of which were dressed in average summer clothing, and at no point in time did the Corbon +p loads or several other non +p loads fail to penetrate to a an acceptable level. The only question is, as someone who has seen the effects of bullets on real people, is the question of how fast it will stop the aggression factor. Most off duty police the country round either carry the .38 +P loads or something in the .40 or .45 auto. All good balances of power, stopping ability, and controlable rapid fire. The P3AT while an awesome gun, fills a different market gap. Those of us who choose to carry for defensive purposes, are concerned with safety all the time, not just when we can wear a flannel or vest to cover a larger frame gun. I take my P3AT everywhere, all the time, and sometimes it is my only gun. Even so, knowing what I do, I prefer it as a backup to something a bit more potent, and would quite honestly retreat from danger if that was my only weapon. I view this as the gun that can be drawn from a pocket, when the attacker is right on top of you, and emptied without ever aiming. It does indeed fill a niche, and it does it better than any other. Even so, I would feel totally confident walking towards the aggressor with any of my .45 auto's, where with the P3AT I would be wondering how many shots it will take before they stop walking towards me. Just the limitations of the .380 cartride in a short barreled gun, rather than a dis on the gun itself. I like this gun, because we all know that there are many places that discourage carry, legal or not. This gun allows those of us who see how ineffective this is, to make the choice for ourselves. Not that I am suggesting breaking any laws, and never drink and carry, it is just a bad idea under any circumstance. But we all know there are many places which are not always safe, and almost always encourages everyone but the attacker to leave their guns home, stupid rules, and small guns, that conceal easily, mean safe people. Granted you may be fined or fired for taking a gun to the wrong place, then under the unlikely circumstance you needed it, you would hopefully be alive and looking for a new job, or perhaps paying a misdemeanor fine. Botton line, this is a highly concealable, moderatly reliable, purpose driven gun. Use it for what it was made for, carry it in a good holster which covers the end of the barrel and the trigger gaurd, and as Idahoser mentioned, do the fluff and buff mentioned on the KTOG. ORG site to increase reliablity of feeding and cycling. I just returned from the range after a good cleaning and repolish and put over 200 rounds downrange without a single misfeed. Some of these do work, and work well, just make sure you have a good one before you need it!

Again, any gun is only as useful and safe as the person behind it. Practice, carry safe and smart, and keep voting for the right candidates.
tazz500

Postby USNCHIEF » Wed May 09, 2007 2:20 pm

I thought that this site was for reviewing specific guns. Seems like it has become to a chat site. You guys can to to KTOG.ORG compare your pistols etc.....
USNCHIEF

Postby rlevine » Thu May 10, 2007 7:44 am

too bad you can't post pictures on this site. I have an awsome picture of what happened to my little gun after just 50 rounds of 88 gr. winchesters passed through it. The plastic frame holding the retaining bolt just blew outward. I've never seen such a failure in a gun. I was lucky it didn't blow up in my hand. I use motorcycle riding gloves at the range to shoot this little gun. The cushioned palms soften the recoil that is generated (in the absence of any mass to speak of). This is just an idea for any of you that need to test fire those new mouse guns. I'm waiting for my Rohrbaugh 9mm and will post a review on thiat site.
rlevine

Postby k9sarge » Thu May 10, 2007 9:12 am

RL, when I talked to the folks at Keltec about the issues I was having the sense I got was that they had been getting alot of guns sent back to them. I am thinking the little gun just isn't robust enough for the .380. Would be interested to hear if the .32 version is having the same type issues..
k9sarge

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols