>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec P-3AT Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby CON-T » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:20 pm

i live in central florida. there are three gun stores that i frequent quite regularly. all three say they cant keep this gun on the shelf long enough to collect dust. one said he got 7 in one day and sold them all within 24 hours!.

ive got a great amt .380 and id never sell or trade this gun...im curious about this kel-tec now i told a buddy about it and hes planning on getting one this week.....if he can find one!...
CON-T

Postby diamondoug » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:58 pm

I love this gun...now that I have received it back from kel-tec. Only god knows what they did to it. I purchased it used from a gun dealer in Michigan who said an elderly man had bought it and returned it because the recoil was too great for him.

Unfortunately I experienced issues right away. I first tried the dremel work noted on the KTOG website but still had ftf and fte problems. Not being the original owner I was reluctant to send it in to Kel-tec. I mailed it in anyway and it came back in about ten days.(It only cost me $6 to mail.)

I went to an indoor range yesterday and put 100 rounds of Winchester Win-clean .380 through it. My confidence is restored! Other than the firey blast that accompanies each trigger pull, this gun is now all I had hoped it would be.
diamondoug

Postby FallGuy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 pm

I have found a cheap solution to the only problem that I have with this fantastic little pistol, and that is that the diamond cut pattern on the grip is so rough that it isnt comfortable to shoot. Granted, this isnt the sort of pistol that most people shoot large numbers of rounds through on a frequent basis, but I was getting tired of losing skin on my right hand thumb. I looked for some replacement grips, and when I saw the slip on rubber grips like the Hogue, it gave me an idea. I went out to the garage, took an old inner tube for a 26 in. bike, and cut about a 3 in. long piece of it off. Then I slipped on the grip, took a pocket knife and cut about a 1/4 in. gap in it so it would slip past the trigger guard and another one for the magazine release, and trimmed it to fit. Now it is very comfortable to shoot, easier to hold, and it didnt cost me anything but a half-hour of time. Here is a link to a picture of what it looks like.

http://www.dcg-web.com/images/p3at.jpg
FallGuy

Postby RWL » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:17 pm

I purchased two P-3ATs today, one for me and one for my adult son. I added the clip grip ends on both and painted white dots on the rear sight, red on the front. At 25 ft group spread was from 2 to 4,half 10s and half 9s using Win. Rem., and old CCI. We were very impressed. Both guns were very equal in accuracy and group sizes. No problems!
RWL

Postby ANTI-XD » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:10 am

Fallguy I went and checked out the pic of that home made slip on grip that was a good ideal gives me some ideals for some slip on grips of my own thanks
ANTI-XD

Postby NWguy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:56 am

Overall I'd like to give it a 2.5, but after thinking it over because of the price I'll give it a 3. FYI I think people who overrate guns are doing an injustice to future and potential buyers.
NWguy

Postby FallGuy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:05 pm

nwguy, if you were looking for something that is "fun to shoot", you probably should have bought something else. The P-3AT, like most of pocket sized pistols, has a lot of recoil - and the grips aren't very comfortable. The only pocket pistols that I have shot that are "fun to shoot" have all been .22 or .25 caliber - but none of them have enough stopping power for a full time CCW. But I think the P-3AT deserves better than a 2 or 3 rating based on what it is designed to do. It packs a powerful punch, and it is small enough and light enough that you are more likely to have it in your pocket if you should ever need it. That's the problem with a lot of larger CCWs, there are too many times when you just don't carry them.
FallGuy

Postby cyrus » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:35 pm

Bought a new P-3AT 12-28-06 for concealed carry. Cleaned and buffed the barrel and feed ramp. It shined up like a new penny. Shot great for about 300 rounds. Not a misfeed or jam, just perfect. Then it decided to self destruct. The recoil spring came out the hole in slide. Then it quit cocking and would not fire. Sent it back to Kel-Tec. They have a four week turn around. Its hard to carry when its back in the factory. I am glad I have another carry pistol.
cyrus

Postby k9sarge » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:56 pm

I hate to bash this little gun because I wanted to like it! Bought it as a back-up weapon. I got about 20 rounds through it and something broke inside (it quit cocking). Sent it back to the factory where it was "repaired". Again took it into my p.d.'s range, made it through about 50 rounds this time... Next thing was I would pull the trigger, but the hammer would never fall. UGH!! Sent that little sucker packing back to Florida where it can take an early retirement. I am back to my mod 36 as a back-up gun. (not sure why I wanted to switch from this trusty friend in the first place)
k9sarge

Postby cyrus » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:27 pm

I received my P-3AT back from Kel-Tec 2 days short of 4 weeks. They replaced every thing but the barrel. Fired 60 rounds at the range with no failures. This little gun is very accurate at 7 to 8 yards and maybe more. While it was in the shop I carried my S&W MP9c which I trust 100% but its harder to conceal. I want to trust this Kel-Tec and maybe in time I will. I have had my Rugar P89 since the early 90's without a failure, and S&W has never failed. I guess I think thats the way it should be.
cyrus

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols