>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec P-3AT Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby rollingradios » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 am

I bought this 380 about 8 mos ago. Ever since new I had failure to feed about 1 in 15rds. I'm guessing the feed ramp needs polishing? I did not know information about not shooting mag-safe ammo through this gun until it was too late. After the third round the bottom grip extender exploded from the magazine along with a severe jam. I thought it may just have been the grip extender was cheap. I then put the factory mag in, got 2 more rounds off and severe jam that I had to break down the gun to unjam. Now you can't even get the mag into the well fully.

I recommend polishing the feed ramp and not to shoot higher velocity rounds.
rollingradios

Postby Zilch57 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:31 am

Zilch57

Postby goldfalcon6 » Sat May 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Bought the pistol new in April. Inspected and lubed it. Fired 50 rounds of 90 grain FMJ last weekend. Five failure to feed, four failure to eject, one failure to fire. Wasn't a "limp wrist"--I've fired many different autos frequently over 39 years, in the Army and after retirement. Have had a few models with malfunctions during break-in, but never, ever encountered anything remotely close to this. Guess I'll try a different load/brand before final judgment.
goldfalcon6

Postby judgeparker » Sat May 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi goldfalcon6

If you will go back and read my previous posts you will know how to fix your your pistol.I have two of them one is in my pocket right now and I know it will fire first time every time no matter what I put through it. Good luck.
judgeparker

Postby udon » Sun May 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Me and the wife shot 50 rounds yesterday with no problems at all. My wife enjoyed shooting our 6" 357, but the P3AT goes better in the pocket for ccw. Good luck in finding handgun ammo............
udon

Postby lovemuddin99 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:37 pm

Just found a great deal on this small masterpiece 269 best price in virginia. Would recommend field striping and wipe down the factory grease and putting on some good gun lube so you dont have an jamming issues. Have not had a issue with this gun yet put through 2 boxes. It gets some taking use to shooting with the small sights, but pretty accurate for such a small gun. The recoil isnt as bad as I've read on some of the reviews. Its a great gun for the price, pretty minimal lacking slide lock and safety but owning a glock its not a problem. Awesome gun for CC, can have it in my front pocket and no one has a clue I'm packing heat. The only problem right now is finding ammo to put it in.
lovemuddin99

Postby gun-nut21 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:43 pm

I bought this gun new and after about 75 rds I started to have some serious failure to extract issues. So then I take it down to my gunsmith who tweaks the extractor and tightens the cheap hex nut that holds it in and still no improvement! Finally I get online and find out how to do the Tec Werks Fluff n' Buff because by now Im assuming that this must be a deeper issue than just the extractor....... Take it to the range and experience a 40% FTE rate so I call Kel-Tec and they wont fix it unless I give them more money because I voided my warranty bhy doing the Fluff n' Buff!!!!! GRRRRRRR, this thing is a piece of crap....... spend the extra 80 bucks and get yourself a Ruger LCP.
gun-nut21

Postby ar1521 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

does this gun have a safety
ar1521

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:19 pm

The only safety is the transfer bar on these little guns. It protects the gun from firing if it's dropped with a round in the chamber. Other than that the trigger pull is set high to provide for some additional protection from inadvertant trigger pulls.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby gun-nut21 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:43 am

I own a decently reliable heavily worn P11 so I decided to give the little P3AT a go.... 50 rounds later and every other round is a failure to extract. So I find out about this fluff and buff and how its supposed to make the little gun so much more reliable blah blah blah, and 4 hours later I am finished. So I take it to the range for another 50 rds..... no improvement. I then take it to a gunsmith who modifies the extractor and give it another go.... It was all a complete waste of time, don't buy this gun! For 50 bucks less you can get a NAA Mini-Mag that will go bang every time with the right ammo...
gun-nut21

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols