>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec P-3AT Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby ctarborist6915 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:52 pm

I just got one this week and went through 50 rounds without any problems. It's so small it does take getting used to it. Pretty decent groups and quite a punch in such a small gun. Very easy to carry.

It's certainly should be safe to carry with one in the chamber. The DA feels long and I expect no trouble.
ctarborist6915

Postby diamondoug » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:43 pm

I did a bunch of work on a P3AT and really enjoyed it. I occasionally had issues but, I felt that it was grip related. I often shoot a Baby Eagle .45 and go through magazines quite fast. When I use the same style of shooting with the Kel-Tec, it occasionally fails. Hate to admit it but, I believe it is called "limp wristing." The gun is difficult to keep a good grip for me when firing rapidly. I specifically found that it happened less with hollow point ammo. Grip extensions could probably help too. As for Kel-Tec customer service, I mailed my gun in one time and they repaired it for free. I am not even the original owner. I placed it in the little white box and sent it through the mail/UPS. Got it back about three weeks later. I look forward to purchasing another soon.
diamondoug

Postby agonist » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:15 pm

judgeparker, to answer your question I wouldn't recommend carrying a DAO without a holster that covers the trigger. The Kel tec has a stiff trigger for safety reasons and they sell knife type clips for them but I would only carry loose in a pocket if I was just going out for a little walk or something. If I was going out in public I would choose a pocket holster or a small IWB.
agonist

Postby judgeparker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:01 am

Thanks agonist. I found instructions for a pocket holster on the KTOG website it looked like something that I would enjoy doing. I have a couple Taurus millenium Pro's in 9 mill and 40 S&W I felt safe with these fully loaded but I was not sure about my P3 since it does not have an external safety,(call me old fashioned). I polished the feed ramp before I took it out to the range and have not had an FTF yet . I really like these little P3s.
judgeparker

Postby Pugdog » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:42 pm

I don't own a Kel-tec 380 but have three friends that do or did. Two of the three were sent back to the manufacturer in Rockledge, FL. with feeding problems. They have a policy that if you bring it in they will repair it while you wait. This policy doesn't say much for out of the box quality. If a gun does not shoot on it's first outing with me I will never have any confidence that it will work. I carry a Colt Mustang Plus II and feel confident in its ability to shoot when called upon. Be aware these Colt guns are no longer produced and are expensive even used.
Pugdog

Postby Zilch57 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm

I have a niece that was given a Taurus 357 revolver in SS for Christmas - would you believe you could only put 2 rounds in the cylinder, the rest of holes were not reamed out fully. I guess no one should buy a Taurus revolver because of the first outing it was useless and would only fire 2 rounds.

I have a Taurus Millennium Pro 9 mm in stainless and it fired the first time and probably over 500 rounds through it. I don't care what kind of weapon you buy they are mechanical and prone to failure.

As a 20 yr USAF jet engine mechanic I've seen a half million dollar engine fail the first time the start switch was turned on. It's mechanical !!!! By the way I carry a Kel Tec 380 and a P-11 depending on how I dress. I also fire a few rounds through both of them usually once a week (retired) to keep my skills sharp.
Zilch57

Postby judgeparker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:51 am

Before I purchased my P-3AT's (one for me and one for my wife). I went to the Kel-Tec owner group web site where they had instructions for what they call a Fluff n Buff. I did this to both pistols before I fired the first round. After many rounds through them they have never failed to fire anything I have fed them. Our P-3ATs Are as dependable as my old Dan Wesson 357.
judgeparker

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:14 am

LMAO!! Zilch57, your story has really got me stumped! I have to wonder why, when you're fully aware there is a critical problem in the function of your firearm, you don't cease to use it and send it immediately back to the manufacturer? Every Taurus pistol carries a warranty for the life of the gun, even the successive owners. They are warrantied for life of the gun. Their warranty service isn't the fastest on the planet but they do get the job done!! As a 20 year jet mechanic you should know the importance of a failure this serious! You should've also known that it's not the fault of Taurus, it's the fault of one individual pistol and the quality control attention of one moron.

Besides that, this is the Kel-Tec P-3AT thread, not the Taurus. Please keep the posts on topic, thank you!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby scottjajr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm wondering how easy the slide is on a kel tec im considering one for my wife in the .380 i have a glock 27 and a hi point 9mm buy she cant work the slide on either one
scottjajr

Postby judgeparker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Scottjajr

I bought one for my wife and she can rack the slide but it is difficult for her. She really does not like the recoil because of its very light weight and small size. After I told her she only needed to shoot it enough to get proficient with it then she would not have to shoot it all that much she decided to keep it for her CCW after she gets her permit. the Kel-Tec P3AT slide is not any harder for her than her Taurus PT111 9 mill or my Hi Point 9 mill.
judgeparker

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols