>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Colt Defender Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby coolwill07 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:59 am

just got my defender few days ago (bringing a gun out of a store always feels good). dismantled it and cleaned/eezoxed it and had a nightmare aligning the slide stop pin and the barrel link. Spent a lot of hours figuring how to assemble it back. but at the range... 100 rnds no trouble... 200 none... till the shooting hand numbs. no trouble at all. I really was thinking CCW of it and it seems perfect.
coolwill07

Postby coolwill07 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:51 pm

bought the goverment model too. i got friend and tried their wilson combat, ed brown, les baers, all magnificent 1911s. but all seem to be derived from, an improvement of, and based on the colt 1911s. i've trusted my life on my colts.
coolwill07

Postby jesse6 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:33 am

The colt defender is the best compact 1911 45 out there straight out of the box. I also had a glock 30 compact 45 but compare to my colt defender the glock has nothing on the defender.The defender is my prefrence. If ur looking for a compact gun check out the colt defender the best 1911 compact!!!!!
jesse6

Postby skatona » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 am

Piece of advice for all you Defender 45 owners. If you do a lot of shooting with it, you might want to get the followers changed in the stock magazines. Those orange pointy ones act like wood peckers on the feed ramp and may cause a failure to feed when you most need it to work properly. I have owned one for a few years now and around 1000 rounds later I had the problem. It's a great gun and can't believe Colt would put those types of followers in it. Anyway, it is an easy fix.
skatona

Postby coolwill07 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:24 am

my first 300-400 rnds I had difficulty getting used to .45 in 3" recoil but constant practice at the range and be amazed at what this little thing can do. 1" groups at 25 yds no exagerration here. you got one of the best here. line it up w/ baers and browns and wilsons but this one the colt defender .45 I really, really trust
coolwill07

Postby EBG » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:55 am

Love this firearm for my CCW. Concealment is excellent and is very versatile with a lot of holsters. Not bad at the range either, little bit jumpy on the recoil but like coolwill07 said, you can remedy this with with practice. But as with any short barreled firearm, you will sacrifice accuracy with distance. Also, I've had some folks tell me they sometimes have misfeed or chimneys when firing this. I would guess that this is due to a weak hold on a large caliber & short barreled gun. My Para 3 inch .45 kept misfeeding when my wife fired it but never had when I fired it. She finaly had to downgrade to a Ruger 9 mm.
EBG

Postby keyman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Last Saturday Dallas had a huge gun show. I started out w/a Ruger Blackhawk and 10 boxes of 357 ammo. Traded that for a Colt Pony w/2 mags. I wasn't intending to keep the Pony due to the 380 ammo shortage. A while later I got to the Colt dealer and found a Night Defender in 45 cal. I had no idea that he might trade w/me,but, lo and behold, he said that he would.

Taking the gun to the range today, I put 100 rounds (two different brands of ammo) and mingled 14 hollow points into it, w/the Colt magazines. No flubs of any kind. The patterns on the target at 7 yards were very acceptable. Very nice gun. I was amazed at how it handled "out of the box." It has wooden grips that I may replace w/Hogues, but the gun handles very good. Any shots that strayed were my fault. There were so many guns going off at the range, it was difficult to concentrate on my own gun.

Five bullets for this fine weapon.
keyman

Postby Sparkz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:22 am

Just purchased a Defender and wonder if anyone knows which Wilson Combat or Tripp Magazines fit it? Great gun.
Sparkz

Postby keyman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Sparkz . . .

The most popular magazines for the 1911 style gun are the Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick. The Defender has a seven-round magazine, so be sure to order that size, no matter who you buy from.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. Please keep us informed as to your experiences w/the gun.
keyman

Postby bdaddy3 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:31 am

What's the preferred follower material - i.e., steel vs nylon? Looking to pick-up some additional mags, and discovered that the nylon Colts that came with the pistol have been discontinued. Considering the Wilson 47OXC.
bdaddy3

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols