>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Colt Defender Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Graywolph » Wed May 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Finally....got out to shoot my Defender..... like it a lot. Had one misfeed on a loading from the slide release....just had to pull back a slight amount the it feed properly...possible lube issue. Other than that, flawless. Shot smooth and was able to hit the paper plate each time from about 25ft away. Gonna like this one. Can't wait to get back out and shoot. Take down and cleaning was relatively easy. I'm sure it will get easier with practice.

Thx for the responses to my questions!

G.w.
Graywolph

Postby Graywolph » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem....the main (large outer) spring folded over in the spring bushing. Had to send the gun in to the company. Talking with an ex-Detroit police officer/instructor, he says that's not unusual for short 1911..anyone else have this problem... certainly changes my mind on a carry gun.

Thx
Graywolph

Postby adamlawn64 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:51 pm

Graywolph - I have the Defender also and haven't had any problems, BUT... I have heard and read that about every 3,000 rounds you should change the c-clip and spring in order to avoid the problem that you had. The spring can be hard to find (even through Colt. I suggest http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html
adamlawn64

Postby Graywolph » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:53 pm

Thx, adam. Sent the gun in to Colt. They are fixing it at no charge, but it's been almost a month now...so not quickly...but I won't complain. I'll keep track of the rounds I put through and keep the change in mind.
Graywolph

Postby coolwill07 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:31 am

hello ccw fanatics

i've narrowed down to this model colt defender and the cz 83 .380 and cannot make up my mind. this is the problem:

I have not heard good revs about 1911s under 4" specially .45s but being colt reputation & quality... much has been said also

cz 83 .380 as ccw reliable, accurate, best ccw, blah, blah, blah.

help. and thank you guys...
coolwill07

Postby skatona » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:53 am

Defender or Agent is probably the best 3" .45 (at least one of the best). CZ is a bit heavy for a primary carry, but that is a personal preference decision. Big difference in punch power as well. First thing for this Colt is to buy different mags for it. The stock ones will damage the feed ramp at some point. Mine just did it a few weeks ago. Once it happens you will experience failures to feed. Because of this, it is no longer my main carry until I find better mags. Once I fix the mag issue and run a few hundreds rounds thru it again and see no damage to the feed, it will be back on belt again. My G23 has replaced it as my primary for now.
skatona

Postby Graywolph » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:18 pm

After taking over two months to get my Colt back(and the problem was my fault and fixed for free, I should add in total disclosure) I'm not too happy with Colt right now. That being said, my Defender has operated fairly well, a few hiccups, failures-to-feed issues. I haven't kept good track of what type of ammo it was or which mag...but if I keep this I'll do better at tracking those type of issues. I won't ever use this as a carry gun...don't trust it anymore. I'm in the "placement" camp, not the "caliber" camp. Five between the shirt pockets from my S&W Model 49 .38 should do just fine.

skatona...check out Wilson...they have a spring/follower kit, #19, that will address the mag issue, I believe. I have an e-mail in to Wilson now to make sure that kit will fit the Defender mag.

good luck cool
Graywolph

Postby Graywolph » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Received a reply from my e-mail to Wilson. Kit #19 will fit in a Colt Defender mag, but will reduce capacity to 6, from 7. From what I've read, this will stop the damage from all metal mags.
Graywolph

Postby coolwill07 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:19 pm

I've narrowed down my choice for a ccw , the para warthog or the colt defender. Can anybody give me some advice ? thanks much...
coolwill07

Postby skatona » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Quick update. Stock followers are bad on this gun, if you plan to shoot it a lot. Over time it acts like a woodpecker on the feed ramp. I have corrected the problem with these followers ... http://www.trippresearch.com/CVS/produc ... /1911.html

100 rounds and no digs. Good to go.

(while this one was down I did buy a G23 and sure do like that one too.)
skatona

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols