>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Colt Defender Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby BillB » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:19 am

A follow-up to my earlier comments on the Night Defender. My gunsmith has had to "tweak" the gun twice (the second visit was at no cost to me), and the weapon is now functioning as I would expect a quality Colt to. It's accurate, it's reliable, and so far it's failure free. This one is definitely a keeper, but I still prefer firing my Glock 29 and 30 . . .
BillB

Postby wingfan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:08 pm

just worked out a deal to use my deposit on a kimber solo and instead purchased a Colt Defender 9mm. I have ran 300 rounds & have had 1 fte (while using 1 hand) and 2ftf's. So all considering I have to give this little fellow a 5 star, mind you not perfect, but no one or anything is perfect. It was accurate, mild recoil, sightly more than my XD-9. Less than my Kimber UC. Cleans up well, it was a little stiff being new, but I sure am glad to get out of the Kimber that was on order. Almost forgot the mags are slowly loosening up.... Made in the USA! I will have to check out more Colts..
wingfan

Postby wingfan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:14 pm

ran another 100 rounds through and no issues. Used Winchester 115 grain, and Federal 115 grain so far. Only getting better.... Still a 5... Thank you Sam Colt.
wingfan

Postby dakota1911 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:22 pm

I bought up a 9mm Defender in 2010 to keep my older .45 one happy. It has been a great gun. The only thing I have changed are the grips. I have even fed it cheap Russian ammo and a couple types of hollow points and it just spits them out with no problems
dakota1911

Postby wingfan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:42 am

now have additional 100 rounds through her. No incident. I love this gun, the mags are loosening up, Colt needs to promote this pistol, I have the 9mm so practice ammo won't eat my lunch. Lucky Gunner had an awesome deal over the holiday ordered some extra. This is a pleasure to shoot. easy to clean and yes I believe it will function well as my CCW.
wingfan

Postby Noproblems » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:26 am

I am new to the site and I am in the market for the colt defender. I have a glock 27 and ruger lcp I swap back and forth from day to day. I shoot both well but I'm ready to move up and this is what I'm leaning towards in .45. I've read through the reviews and I'm overall pleased with all of the responses. I just wanted to take a min to show some appreciation I'm glad to finally be part of a site that takes the time to help eachother instead of bash eachothers personal preferences. Anymore updated advice would be great.

Thanks everyone
Noproblems

Postby arsenrr » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:20 am

Hello NoProblems,

The Colt Defender is the best handgun I have purchased. I use it exclusively for concealed carry and it is extremely accurate for a short barrelled pistol that carries the punch of a .45. My advice for ammunition is the tapered round vs. the rounded bullet- eliminates jams. Also, the Kimber 7 round magazine found at many sporting goods stores - Cabela's is my favorite - is a dead match to the factory mag from Colt, right down to the patent number. This pistol has my highest respect for concealed carry for size, weight and accuracy.
arsenrr

Postby chrislind2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:19 am

I have a Colt New Agent, which is almost the same gun as the Defender. Mine has trench sites. I did purchase the Defender grip, the New Agent came with wood grips which look great, but the Defender grip is much better for pulling it out of the holster when carrying. Took it to the range only once. Need to go back as soon as I have time to reload some more .45 acp. The gun is a small 1911 and packs a punch. I remember wanting to shoot 200 rounds and stopped at 100 because it was wearing out my hand.
chrislind2

Re: Colt Defender Reviews

Postby GOANRA » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:08 pm

My Colt Defender in .45 is prob my favorite .45 and favorite cool weather carry. I use the Hornady +P xtp (?) 185 gr or the Corbon Pow'r ball rounds which are also +P & also ballistic tip.
I chucked the Hogue grips it came with & got some less 'sticky' (they tend to grab my shirt & print when CCW. Its a very thin 1911.
The SS is easy maintenance and the 3 dot sights, as mentioned, are good for 25 yards... that is a LOT for a 22 oz (empty) carry arm with a 3.5 inch bbl. Since anything more than 20 ft would be a tough sell on 'self-defense' to a jury.
It has all the stopping (diff than killing) power, I will ever need.
About 600 rounds through it without a problem of any type.

Like Colts I've had in the past, they just get better with use.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Previous

Return to Pistols