>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Colt Defender Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Badgerwoman » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:02 am

Recently got an older Officer's model compact and was VERY impressed with the accuracy and fit of the weapon. Did have an issue with the clip as it would stovepipe on the last round every time! DH suggested trying a different clip and with the purchase of Wilson Combats the problem was fixed! Too heavy to carry concealed so DH inherited it and we ordered me a Colt New Agent. Will post a review of the New Agent as soon as I've had a chance to take delivery and put it to the Badger test.
Badgerwoman

Postby Badgerwoman » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:23 pm

Update on the Colt status... DH ended up with the Officer's Model as we found for me a New Agent compact concealed carry which I just LOVE! New Agent is a bare bones version of the Defender with a new "trench" sight machined into the top of the slide and slender fitted wooden grips which make it much easier for my little paws to wrap around. Still 7+1 and much lighter, accuracy is quite acceptable up to 15 yards and DH, God bless him, seems to not be able to get outside the X ring when shooting instinctively as he was taught. LOVE this little Colt and got one of the 1st 2000 having been made so far!
Badgerwoman

Postby skatona » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:24 am

Yep, I love my Defender and just enjoy being able to carry it around so easily. Accuracy is very very good. I saw an Agent recently when I went to the range and if it is as realiable as the Defender then it will be an awesome concealment gun being it has the smoother profile and thinner grips. I got my Defender a year ago, and if I has seen the Agent I would have gone that route instead.
skatona

Postby redleg » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:08 pm

I have carried my Defender for over 12 years now(Galco IWB Horsehide holster). It has proven reliable and I have shot several thousand rounds through mine (aluminum frame). The only issue that I had was that it shot about 6 inches high at 25yds (mine came with the Novak style sights). This was corrected when I replaced the sights with Trijicon Novak style night sights.
redleg

Postby adamlawn64 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:11 pm

I bought this gun in December 07 and like it so far. It's compact, concealable, and I like having the punch of a .45. For those of you that carry this gun concealed, do you normally carry with a round chambered? I had to rate good instead of excellent since when I bought this gun, one of the magazines that came with it only held 6 rounds as opposed to 7, and when I sent it back to Colt, they sent me a blued magazine instead of SS. So I sent it back again and I'm sure they'll make it right. But as far as fit and function, I rate this gun excellent.
adamlawn64

Postby Graywolph » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:28 pm

New owner of used Defender. Being a novice, I have a couple questions I would appreciate some response to. First off, the mag does not fit tightly in the receiver. When fully inserted, there is space around the mag and it can be moved from side to side. Is this normal for Colt? I have a couple .22 semis, High Standard and Llama(sp), they fit nice and tight. Would it be possible to get some blow-back from this?

Seondly, when inserting the mag into the receiver, you need to give it a strong hit to get it all the way up. It does release relatively smooth, but goes in hard.

I've called Colt and was told to send in one mag and they would send me one back.....hesitant to do that at this point.

Haven't fire the gun yet. No inside ranges around here, and we've had a "real" winter here in Michigan this year, so haven't been outside to shoot yet.

Any response will be appreciated.
Graywolph

Postby g4l » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Sounds pretty normal for a 1911 type pistol Greywolph. The resistance You feel when inserting the mag is it just passing through the mag release mechanism. If it's really harsh it could just need a drop of oil. Definitely fire the gun before sending any parts back & forth.
g4l

Postby bcjwriter » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:15 am

graywolph,

I've had a defender for years, and it all sounds normal except for the mad being so loose. Shoot it first, and if it has issues, send it back to Colt. My Defender came to me new with a broken extractor, but they sent me a new part...no questions asked. Their customer service is pretty good.
bcjwriter

Postby g4l » Fri May 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Hey Guys, do any of You know the height of this gun? Just wondering if the grip is the same as the full size or if it's shortened. Thanks
g4l

Postby bcjwriter » Fri May 02, 2008 2:46 pm

glock4life,

The grip is shortened, like the officers model or Kimber Ultra.

I hope that helps.
bcjwriter

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols