>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Colt Gold Cup Trophy Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Colt Gold Cup Trophy Reviews

Postby erdil » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:54 pm

I bought a gold cup 80 series MK4 national match 2 years ago which I modified since it is still a great gun and have good accuracy in field I carry with extra mag which makes it heavy for conceal
erdil

Postby devildog724 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:17 am

top choice for a 1911 pistol, I bought mine gently used. Opt for this pistol over a springfeild target model, or any POS kimber. Very,very accurate, I can hit a 12x12 steel plate at 100 yards no ploblem. A tender finish though, I love to shoot this weapon so much, i have to keep to the burnt power residue off to preserve its finish. The target sights have a lot of sharp edges on it. Dont keep this pistol in holster either it will wear the finish and besides it deserves to be kept in a case, a very nice case. I try not to shoot mine very much but its soo hard to resist!!!
devildog724

Postby fbabcock » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:56 pm

How do you get an overall rating of 4.5 when all the reviews are 5? I found this to be a great gun.
fbabcock

Postby kiwanwindu » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:14 pm

I am a LARGE fan of colts. I used it back in the sevice (Air Force-15 years.) In fact all my pistols are colts. i am contemplating whether to buy a colt gold cup or a colt special combat government. All bias aside can you guys give me an honest answer which to buy. I heard GREAT things about both. (money is not an issue)
kiwanwindu

Postby kiwanwindu » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:03 am

What is the best ammo to use for this gun (obviously i'm not asking the caliber). What brands are the best for defense and the range. Any help would be great. Thanks.
kiwanwindu

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:07 pm

It's been quite awhile since you posted this question but hopefully you'll still get the message! For practice I would look for 230 GR FMJ ammunition that provides you the best price available. I personally do not like the Russian ammo that is available quite cheap because it isn't a quality round, very dirty and had metal cases instead of brass and are sprayed with laquer to keep them from rusting. That laquer melts off in a hot gun and gums up the works. So stick with the US offerings, there are many of them. For defense you'll have to try the Corbon 185 GR DPX Solid Copper HP ammo, Taurus makes the same thing in 185 GR. The solid copper bullet provides excellent performance and weight retention. But there are many, many potent rounds available for the big bore .45. Every manufacturer has a specialty round in .45acp and frankly all of them will put a serious hurting on you! You need to practice with enough of anything you choose to confirm that it will perform reliably in your pistol. Good luck and let us know how your decisions work.

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby razr » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:06 am

Wad cutters or semi wad cutters for range practice or even personal protection. Lighter loads or reloads will work better, depending on your spring. Ball ammo is hard on your 1911 and cause it to ware faster.
razr

Postby exp221 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:24 pm

I have a 1911 series80 SS. I just purchased a new colt 1911 gold cup SS. What a gun. I changed the spring in it. The lighter green spring was in it when I bought it. I replaced it with the heavier spring that came with it. I just had to try it out so I took it out the same day and fired Hornady Custom Ammunition 45 ACP 185 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point. I was shocked at the accuracy I was able to achieve fresh out of the box. I set a target @ 30 yds and never missed. By the way, my target was only 8 inches in diameter. Two clips 14 rounds. I was really impressed. I have 500 rounds of Remington 230 Gr. ammo. I'm going to try that next. Maybe this week end.
exp221

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am

The Colt Gold Cup, WOW!! This was (is) one of the Gold Standards in top of the line .45acp 1911's. I would absolutely love to own one. These pistols were mega COOL before 1911's were one of "THE" best handguns to have in your gun safe. What a gun! Oh by the way, I really like this pistol... LOL!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby navyitc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:18 pm

I suspect this is academic but...a friend is selling off a substantial collection and I deciding between a new blue GCT and a used, very good stainless Kimber Pro Carry II. I 've really decided to go with the GCT and I know this is the Colt section - I want a 1911 and this really seems like a no brainer. Price is not set but I would suspect that they would be close enough to not be a major factor - thoughts?
navyitc

Next

Return to Pistols