>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Beretta Px4 Storm Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Rerun201 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:49 pm

@epwrangler

Have you mentally rehearsed what you would do if those circumstances ever occurred again?
Rerun201

Postby epwrangler » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:42 pm

A million times. It is really pretty simple if it comes downto me or mine and you, you have a real problem and I hope you survive it but there are no guarantees. After years of practice I am pretty good and yes, mentally prepared to fight if necessary. What about you, you ever ducked lead mosquitos?
epwrangler

Postby Rerun201 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:08 pm

@epwrangler

So through this experience and your later training you are better prepared than most to handle that situation. Through mentally replaying the scenario in your head, visualizing sound tactical moves and responses, you're even bettered prepared than through just the training alone. Certainly better prepared for that situation than me.

And in response to your question: yes. I have. Always line of duty stuff. I've been very fortunate in that my family has not had to. My hat's off to you and yours.
Rerun201

Postby epwrangler » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:59 pm

I was talking to a Game Warden I met in a LGS today. I have known severalover the years. It is surprising how much these guys have to put up with, usually alone and isolated. I do worry about my son in Houston who carries a badge and a gun these days as a detective. I have a great deal of respect for all who do. A few times I have been right beside one as we cleared my building after the alarm went off. Glad I don't do it every day.
epwrangler

Postby woofwoof » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am

Greetings,

Can I ask a favor of you all? Can we PLEASE talk about the GUN? I do appreciate all the other comments, just not in the review section for a gun. Specifically the Storm in .45 vs. the XDM .45. I would really like your INFORMED thoughts and comments! I know that the storm is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the XDM.

You see, I live in the People's Republic of Wisconsin. Our dear leaders finally trust us to protect ourselves...well at least the republican do.

Anyhow, those are the two guns I have come down to. I am a large man, 6'5" and about 280 pounds. I also want to know if they are too big for CC.

Thanks!
woofwoof

Postby DrBob » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:35 am

Woof, FWIW if i were going to get a PX4 .45 i'd look at the PX4 SD (Special Duty). I've not shot the .45 versions but considered them closely and thought the SD model was the cream of the crop.
DrBob

Postby Rerun201 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:16 pm

@woofwoof

I'm 5-10, 235 and find that the PX4 full size 9mm is not hard to conceal at all in an IWB holster daily, year round. The .45 version would not have dimensions that much greater than the 9mm. I would think that someone your size would have no trouble concealing just about any sidearm you wanted to.

I can't speak to the .45 models, nor can I speak to the XDs. What I can speak to is the full size 9mm. It is a great piece. I went out with my son and 14 yr old grandson over Father's Day and everyone got a chance to shoot it. Everyone liked it over the Glocks that were present (Glock 36 in .45 cal. and another Glock .40). The rotating barrel reduces recoil noticeably; my grandson said it felt more like shooting a .22. Several hundred round of hardball and hardball flatnosed ammo has gone through this PX4 with no malfunctions of any kind.

One thing you might want to consider is the model of PX4 you're looking to purchase. The Model F that I own has the safety/decocker. I had an adjustment to make in my technique to accommodate the placement of the safety/decocker and the slide release. I was trying to disengage the safety by moving my extended thumb upward. That would often result in my pushing up on the slide release, not the safety lever, slowing the presentation and firing. My remedy for this was to adjust my technique to one where, when I draw, I have my thumb pulled back. Once I clear the holster, I thrust my thumb forward and this positively engages the the safety and no other lever.

I'm assuming your hands are larger than mine (large glove size) so you might also face the issue with the F Model. The PX4 comes in models that have no safety/decocker so that is probably the best way to make sure you don't have that issue.

My opinion as to the cost difference: when there is hundreds of dollars in the difference of the price of two presumably stock firearms of the same caliber, mag capacity, etc., and the primary purpose of the firearm is going to be self-defense, I'm inclined to go with the less expensive of the two, provided it comes from a reputable manufacturer and that model has a good reputation. The gun is going to get used and it's going to suffer wear and tear. It's not going to be a collector's piece. The additional hundreds can go to other equipment (belt, holster, mag carrier) and ammo.
Rerun201

Postby zerwas.pat » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:30 pm

i got to shoot my friends .45 xdm a 5 days ago. im not going to ever buy a xdm one it failed to eject 2 times and it was just sucked to shoot alot of kick, but i got a storm .40 cal and i havnt shoot the .45 yet but i carry my .40 cal almost everyday and its not that big. i liked my storm better then matts .45 xdm but different cal. so i cant say much.
zerwas.pat

Postby MightyFoFaad » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:30 am

@ woofwoof ... if you like the Beretta, & you want something for everyday wear ... why not go with the PX4 Sub Compact? Worn with a belt slide holster, it offers a minimal silhouette & is easily concealed by shirt or jacket. The .40 S&W has the same punch as a .45 but with less recoil & more rounds in the clip.
MightyFoFaad

Postby snakedog » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:38 am

woofwoof, I've had a Beretta PX4 .45 full-size for a couple of years. It's a great gun, about the size of a 1911, maybe a little thicker. Much lighter than a 1911 though. I can't compare it to an XDM as I've never handled one of those. It's very ergonomic as are the 92's (owned one of those in the 80's) and points well.

The fit and finish of a Beretta is as good as it comes. The gun always fires, always ejects and is accurate. So far, it takes anything I feed it. The recoil is less than a 1911 but still substantial. There's no comparison with the recoil from a .22 handgun. I've got a couple of "dog guns" (22's) and the Beretta .45 is a different animal.

The compact versions of the PX4 sometimes suffer feeding problems, particularly 9mm, I've seen that with my own two eyes at the range. The full-size version, again, no problem. I don't carry a weapon typically, I feel safer without one except in the woods. Animals are the only thing I've ever had to defend myself against.

Maybe the most common gripe is the safety/decocker levers that protrude from the slide. $70 at the Beretta store online and you can get ones that are flush to the slide. It's a DA/SA auto so I never use the levers except to decock the gun, and for me they are not a problem. No need for a safety in DA mode, in my book.

Again, the .45 PX4 is comparable to a 1911 in size, but significantly lighter. It's a shade lighter than an XDM. It is by no means a compact pistol. As a carry gun where you live, it would probably be concealable except on the hottest days. I really like the gun, for form and function it doesn't get any better than this, only more expensive. HTH.
snakedog

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols