>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Beretta Px4 Storm Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby darbo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:31 pm

I have the 9mm Compact and love it. I have to admit this is my first pistol but I think I got a great gun in the process! I've had it for about 4 months and put about 2500 rounds through it so far with absolutely zero problems. I have used 4 or 5 different brands of FMJ and 2 different styles of Hornady JHP. Tear down and cleaning are easy. The gun has a great feel it. Someday I hope I can afford to add the .45 SD to my collection.
darbo

Postby PT80 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:41 pm

This review concerns the compact version, the one that still uses the rotating barrel system. Even though the last thing I would want to think about when in a gun battle is style, this gun has that and it fits in my hands well. This gun is also very accurate and precise out of the box. The only issue I had with this gun is that I did not oil the gun up before its first run, so the thing stove-piped every other shot. The guys dropped in a little oil but that did not work. I took it back to the tool shed and gave it a good clean up and oiling and it functioned perfectly after that... this does not give me much confidence about its ability to preform dirty, but the lesson learned is to clean your guns even when new. Can anyone tell me if Beretta has improved from the rare comments I hear about the service life of their guns? As rarely as I use one I imagine it will never be a problem for me but I was curious.
PT80

Postby Rerun201 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 am

@tjseveryday

I carry the 9mm full size Storm everyday day. Just went to the police range yesterday and qualified with it carrying in a kydex IWB holster. It is a large size pistol, but not too big to conceal. Carrying large pistols concealed is best accomplished by using an IWB holster. Just my opinion-your results may vary. I'm 5-10 and 230 lbs and have no problem concealing it under a light, un-tucked shirt or jacket.

The decocker/safety is something that I had to adjust to as well. In the past I used a sweeping motion of the thumb to disengage such levers-down for 1911s, up for others. This motion does not seem to work well for me with the Storm. I catch the slide stop lever with my thumb probably 50% of the time doing it this way-not what you want to be pushing on when you're trying to get the piece into firing mode. However, if you are sweeping the thumb like I used to, all is not lost. I adjusted my thumb motion to be more of a thrust forward as opposed to the upward sweep. Draw with your thumb pulled back and after you clear the holster, thrust the thumb forward and you'll hit the decocker/safety cleanly every time.
Rerun201

Postby MightyFoFaad » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:27 pm

or ... you could just leave the safety off. :-)
MightyFoFaad

Postby markej4801 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Finally a break in the weather!!! It's now only getting up to the 90's here in TX, so I can once again think about an IWB with shorts or long pants. YAY! I am known to carry one of 3 different guns, but far and away my favorite is my PX4 Storm type F in 9mm. I have never thought it too big to carry (for crying out loud, there are MANY who carry full size 1911's) and I LOVE that it has enough ammo included to most likely be the winner should a full fire-fight ensue (unless of course the shtf). In closer fitting gear, I carry a Kahr PM9 (with crimson trace to overcome that short site picture--love the smooth double action it uses) and in the intense heat I use a Beretta Bobcat, usually for my morning constitutional. When feeling the need, even in the heat, I have been known to use a manly-man bag to house the Storm and even an extra mag full of my favorite JHP. Ladies and gentlemen, there just may be a better gun out there, but I haven't found it yet.

Yes, you should ALWAYS clean a new gun before using it. That packing grease is just not conducive to a properly functioning gun. I am not a complete noob, but am not an old hand at this (carrying for one and a half, shooting for only 3 years), but everything I read tells me clean your gun whenever you use it and clean it BEFORE using a new one. I have stuck to this and found it to be useful for every weapon I have purchased.

My Storm (and for that matter, my other Beretta weapons) have functioned as advertised and the only times they have given me pause is when I have not handled them appropriately. User error does not make a bad weapon. I'm not sure of the actual count, but am very sure I'm approching 5000 rounds on this gun and have found it to be completely reliable. YMMV.

One other note mentioned below is the question of safety use. mightyfofaad and I both are strong proponents of carrying a hot gun, that is safety off, a cartridge in the chamber with a double action trigger available for my BRAIN to act as safety. I use the Safety to de-cock the gun and then leave it safe long enough to place it in my IWB, then drop off the safety. The gun will not fire if you don't pull the trigger. Follow the foremost rules of gun safety and you will be just fine. There are models of this gun available that do not have the safety (model C) that have a very comfortable DAO that is less than the F model's double action.
markej4801

Postby Rerun201 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

@mightyfofaad

Now where's the fun in that?
Rerun201

Postby MightyFoFaad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:24 am

Well I'm old & my memory ain't what it used to be, and, I rotate 3 different guns for carry.

If the shit ever hits the fan and I need to use that firearm quickly ... I don't want to have to slow down to think, or look, to see if the safety is on, and, which way do I have to flick it to off ... up or down?

The only way any gun I carry can go off, is if you pull the trigger. Now I'll admit, I ain't the brightest bulb in the store ... but I don't accidentally pull no trigger! :-)
MightyFoFaad

Postby Odiwankenobi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:48 am

Im interested in adding a .45 cal. to my collection, but I see no reviews here. Any that have this Pistol and would like to post reviews either for or against, I would be very appreciative. We all hate to spend $700 for a P.O.S.

I need reviews to persuade me to purchase a Pistol.

Thanx Guys !!
Odiwankenobi

Postby ROGUE1202 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:02 am

oDI, i have the 45 ACP, no malfunctions of any kind.

Shoots fine just like the 9 and the recoil isnt really bad at all.

You will see a lot of people with them on you tube.

Some complaints there but none at all on the 45 acp I believe.

45 is a low pressure cartridge anyway - mine is a good shooter.
ROGUE1202

Postby ROGUE1202 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:02 am

oDI, i have the 45 ACP, no malfunctions of any kind.

Shoots fine just like the 9 and the recoil isnt really bad at all.

You will see a lot of people with them on you tube.

Some complaints there but none at all on the 45 acp I believe.

45 is a low pressure cartridge anyway - mine is a good shooter.
ROGUE1202

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols