>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Bersa Thunder 380 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby ulgydog56 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:47 pm

john just remember to have your daughter hold the gun next to her chest when she works the slide......4 a little gun the spring is pretty hard.......
ulgydog56

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun May 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Good choice John. My lady likes the feel of the one I got recently. Dog's right, the spring is a bit stiff. The action in mine feels a bit "gravelly" i.e. like it needs a few rounds to smooth itself out, but it shoots nice, feeds good. Lots of luck to both of you. BTW, last 2 gun shows here, prices seemed to be going up on thunder 380's; dealers said it's popularity is increasing from word of mouth.
Dharmabumz

Postby USMC66 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 pm

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that I use for carry. It is small, reliable and would definately take the fight out of a BG. It has a lot more on it than a gun in this price range should. It goes with me every where it can legally.
USMC66

Postby FryGuy011 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:44 am

Would anyone know what the life span of these guns are and if they are rated for +p?
FryGuy011

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:43 pm

I don't know about how many rounds a Bersa can fire before it is "worn out". They are good, well-made pistols though. I did talk to a gun manufacturer about 380 +P ammunition. He did not think too highly of plus pee ammo for a 380. He siad something to the effect " +P is over priced ammo that doesn't really give you any more stopping power than standard pressure 380 ammo. It's just a way for ammo makers to make more money while giving shooters a false sense of security." I think he was trying to tell me that his pistols aren't rated for +P ammo. I ain't sure.

I shoot PMC Starfire and Glaser PowerBall in my 380. The only +P ammo I have is 38sp+P and I bought it on sale at Wallmart. I may be an old fool but I feel like if I need more power, I'll get a bigger gun. BUT I if I ever have to use a 380 I'll probably wish it was +P, the bad guy won't know the difference.

I have heard very knowledgable pistol fighters talk trash about the 380 cartridge. Say if you get attacked by a drug crazed zombie it won't work. yada yada yada. Baby Face Nelson was shot 17 times with 45acp and 00 buch shot and was still able to kill 2 G-men, get in his car and drive away.

He died later of his wounds.
Will_Carry

Postby RudeDog » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 pm

I've carried a BT380 for a couple of years now. I use Speer gold dot or Hornady TAP as a carry ammo. Aguila HP are good for all purpose. I also have a Thunder Pro 9. Wonderful firearms, well made - reliable and affordable.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys
RudeDog

Postby ulgydog56 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:46 pm

federial hydroshock is very good also ,as for +p ammo look at the charts ball and cap .380 is approx 195# of energy,compare your ammo to the +p ammo if its lower than the +p then its worth it to buy.i have not seen balis charts on any +p.380? has anybody seen the balistics on the +p.380.....ps. the+p38 makes approx 20% more energy than a 38 special....................
ulgydog56

Postby Dharmabumz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey Will & all;

I read that the barrel being less than 4 inches doesn't burn off all the powder quick enuff, so there is a bit of recoil. I sold my Bersa, but it's recoil reminded me of a 9mm Makarov I used to carry. Also read that Argentine FBI was carrying Bersa so it must have some endurance.

I do like shooting them.
Dharmabumz

Postby Gladius » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 am

As I've mentioned in the past, my Bersa Thunder .380 took some breaking in. I was NEVER inclined to replace it as I've seen some different firearms (same model) from the same manufacturer work totally different right out of the box. I really enjoy mine now and carry it daily. Of course, after the fifth box of ammo over 2000 rounds ago, I've not had any issues. Great little gun, just keep it clean and feed it with the right ammo.

P.S. Semper Fi, usmc66.
Gladius

Postby VBShooter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:45 am

I have fed my Baby Bersa Remington, UMC, and Winchester White Box FMJ and JHP. It eats them all up. Recently I started taking a good look at different self defense ammo. (other than just ordinary JHP) Some GNs I have talked to have told me that the extra power of +P may actually be a negative due to the extra force holding the bullet together, preventing it from expanding enough to create a sufficiant wound cavity. I have found some reports where that was a trueism.

The two self defense rounds that I have been testing are Federal Champion Low Recoil and Hornady Critical Defense. Niether of them are +P rounds. Baby Bersa handled them both without any issues (it maybe expensive testing, but how much is your life worth to you?). I decided to go with the Hornady Critical Defense. I carry it not only in the .380 (Baby Bersa works great under a t-shirt) but I got it for the 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 as well.

One thing I was always told was that when it can to a firefight, caliber and power isn't as important as control and bullet placement!
VBShooter

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols