>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Browning BDA Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby jbarrett15 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:39 pm

I just purchased a nickel plated BDA with a serial number 425MMXXXXX from a friend. This pistol appears, using the Browning formula, to be made in 2000. I understand that the BDA was discontinued in 1998 and wondered if anyone has any knowledge about this particular serial number sequence.

I had some problems with jamming when I first fired the pistol. As it turned out, the round was hanging up in the magazine as the lip of the casing was catching on the inside throat of the magazine. The problem was more common with a full magazine and lessened as rounds were fired. I filed down the inside edge of the magazine and polished it and the problem seems to have gone away. Has anyone else seen this problem?
jbarrett15

Postby BILLYJAC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:22 pm

I just purchased a Browning BDA .380 and would like to know a good holster for it.
BILLYJAC

Postby Toeman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Billjac, I have a Triple K holster, #420-48, secret agent. When you go to thier web site, they show it for a revolver but you can order it for $41+-

http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/4/prd/136/
Toeman

Postby BILLYJAC » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Most of you probably didn't have the trouble I had when I disassemble my BDA .380 to clean it. I went by the instructions and could not get the take down lever to go back up on reassemble. I tried everything and it just would not turn up. I went back over the instructions and found one little mistake I did. I was not pushing the barrel back tight after the slide was on and it was in a bind.

Maybe this will help someone else if they have that problem not to go through what I did!
BILLYJAC

Postby BILLYJAC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:30 pm

I am wondering why Browning discontinued the BDA .380? I do not see it on the Browning sight unless you go in to old manuals.

I know the Beretta 84 is close to the same pistol,and made the BDA at the Beretta factory,but am wondering how many of the BDA .380 are still for sale as new pistols. I just purchased a new one and registered it under warranty. I made a mistake of holding one at the dealer and knew that was my next purchase.
BILLYJAC

Postby sundog3 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Browing still makes the BDA. But thay do not catalog it.

All of the BDA.s produced now are bought by one man

who distributes them to dealers
sundog3

Postby parent16 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:52 am

I,ve had 2 miss-fires with my BDA. The trigger doesn't inguage at times after taking it off safety. If the hammer is in the half-cock position, it will fire with very little preasure. The trigger will inguage if you let it go back to the firing position by itself. I hope this isn't confusing. Does anyone have a fix?
parent16

Postby drdarrin » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:59 am

I'm an old shooter and brand new to this forum. I bought my BDA back in the '80s in Des Moines. I've shot 100's if not 1000's of reloads through it and only 1 box of factory. Never had a misfire, feeding or ejection problem with this little gun. Until recently, this was the only semi auto I've owned.
drdarrin

Postby Bigbear45 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:19 pm

I am considering buying a BDA .380 however the only finish it seems to be available in is the nickel, not blued. Is this true? I'd like to compare both side by side before making a final decision. Looks like a great pistol for C&C purposes. Thank you.
Bigbear45

Postby Andersmoke » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:48 pm

This is a response to Billyjac's 3/6/10 post about the .380 BDA reassembly problem. Thanks for posting that bit of advice. My buddy has a Browning .380 and he's never fired it (he's had it nearly 20 years and has never cleaned, oiled, or shot it). That damn take down lever wouldn't snap back into place no matter what we tried. (I googled all sorts of things trying to find out what I did wrong and finally came across your post last night.) I found your comments helpful and shared it with my friend. Our experience with his BDA was exactly what you experienced, and we got it reassembled today after following your advice. Thanks for posting the information!
Andersmoke

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols