>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Bersa Thunder Conceal Carry Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby slyltc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:33 pm

Just bought a Firestorm 380 and it appears to be most similar to the BTCC so I'm posting my question here. This is my first handgun and I would like suggestions on the best ammunition to use. I read Chuck Hawks article where he covered a myriad of guns and suggested the best ammo for them based upon reliability and power. Generally he recommended Federal 90gr., Hydra-Shok HP for reliability and Cor-Bon 90gr. JHP for power. He didn't recommend anything specifically for Bersa or Firestorm 380's. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
slyltc

Postby ShootSS » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:47 pm

May you be so blessed, Slytc. I asked this question in the ammunition forum on 10-20-08 and got not a single response. Either no one knows or no one cares about the .380 as a self defense round.

I am hoping to raise the collective consciousness of the members to this question. Is it not a good, valid question?

I am hoping that someone with more experience than you and I will reply. I am quite certain that we do not have to reinvent the wheel (buy a box of every brand we can find and 100 lbs of ballistic gel and experiment) and that someone will honor us with their knowledge. At least I'm hoping.

Is that not what this forum is about? Is anyone out there? Testing, testing, 1 -2 ...
ShootSS

Postby slyltc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks ShootSS! Hopefully submitting this question to our kindred Bersa/Firestorm 380 owners will generate comments and advice. I emailed the moderator of this forum with the same question, so, hopefully, we'll get a response from one or both sources. I'm also attempting to get Chuck Hawks email address to ask him the same question. I'll let you know what transpires with that effort.

By the way I'm originally from Rolla, MO.
slyltc

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:15 pm

Nobody asked me! I sent a private message to slyltc and then I spotted this post. There is a new offering available from Hornady. It's called Critical Defense and comes in a 90 grain 380 load. It has a new patented FTX hollowpoint, similar to the flex tip ammo, but the hollowpoint itself is filled with this polymer. They guarantee reliable performance and expansion in all 380's. Here's the website, check it out.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=786

Absolutely, it's a valid question SSS. You're well aware that we're having problems on the website. Nobody is getting notified of these posts. I do my best to roam the forum threads looking for questions and that's how I found this. The new administration is looking into these problems as we speak. I hope that they find a resolution to all the various issues soon. In the meantime, please be patient and send a private message to a moderator if you need a quick answer. Sorry for any incovenience that happened because of this.

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby slyltc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:32 pm

tigwelder56,

Can't beat that for a quick response! I'm impressed. This is my first foray into personal handguns since my Army career ended so I consider myself a bit of a novice still. I'm sure I will have many more questions in the future as I'm getting my wife a handgun as well. Based on my reading of the postings there seems to be numerous other experienced Bersa/Firestorm 380 owners out there to provide guidance and information on most firearms topics. Thanks again. Oh, by the way, I havn't received your reply in my email yet. That, unfortunetly, happens occasionally with my server.
slyltc

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:18 pm

You'll find my private message in your "Mailbox", look above, it's next to My Account, Contact Us and Log in/out. We've been experiencing problems with notifications here. Normally you'll see a number next to your mailbox, showing the number of messages. You'll also get an email sent to the address you used when registering. The webmaster says he's working on getting things fixed. Until then it'll be necessary to check your account manually. Welcome to the Forum and thank you for your service to our country!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby ShootSS » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:42 pm

Rolla! That is in my back yard, slyltc! Welcome home neighbor. Yes, PLEASE let me know what you find out from Hawks.

What is the street price for the Hornady's Tig? It sux that we cannot afford to defend ourselves in today's economy. Price must be a consideration. It sux even worse that the .380's big brother, the 9mm is half the price of the shorter cased .380 (9x19mm vs. 9x17mm). The 9mm luger has more powder, better balistics, and 2 more mm of material in the casing than the .380, yet is downright cheap by comparison. What's up with that?
ShootSS

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:30 pm

Isn't that Hornady round simply TITS? !! Excellent numbers and I really like the bullet design. They're getting some great reviews on the stuff as well. Midway has them listed at just over $18 for a box of 25. Expensive but you're not going to use this round to go out plinking. It appears to be serious defensive ammo and that price is reasonable when considering what it's used for. Good is okay but the best is always a better choice...

tigwelder56

Postby ShootSS » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:57 pm

I suppose I should clarify my concern.

I never just buy a box or two of anything. I buy in bulk. Take that to mean whatever you want. My firm conviction is that at some point, the powers that be are going to disarm citizens of the good ol' USA (or at least try). Smart money says that they will not take our guns away (to many of us will be tempted to use them defending our right to bear arms). So what they WILL do is make it illegal or nearly impossible to buy bullets. This law they will be able to pass without any bloodshed and without invading my home or yours. Our guns become rocks if we have no ammunition.

So, for this reason, I buy in bulk. At $36 for a box of 50 (of .380's for crying out loud), the Hornady is basically not a viable option. One or two boxes will not help me when the SHTF. Six times minimum wage is a bit steep for 50 rounds of .380. Hell's bells, these aren't Glaser Blues or .454 Casull's!!!
ShootSS

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:41 pm

You're very fortunate that you can afford to spend that kind of money when you do purchase ammunition. I know, speaking for myself, that there's no way I can afford to buy cases at a time. There's a lot of us ol' poor boys out here too! But I do buy as much as I can afford and have a decent supply built up. I think that it might be wise for shooters to invest in some good reloading equipment and store lots of components in a proper fire locker. It's a large initial investment, not anymore than what you're paying for several cases of ammo though. I believe you're absolutely right about how they'll try to hinder our 2A rights. They've already said that they plan to raise ammo taxes by 500% for starters. I think they'll have a hell of a fight on their hands when they try to do it though. The People make this the best and toughest country in the world, not the government. They seem to keep forgetting that they work for us!

Let's get this thread back on track now. We've gotten a bit off topic, but for good reason. It happens once in awhile!!

tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols