>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Bersa Thunder Conceal Carry Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby tommygun308 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:12 am

I bought a Bersa Firestorm .22 pistol and I like it very much. Shoots all kinds of .22 ammo with hardly any jam ups. I would recommend this pistol for someone who wants a reliable pistol that shoots all kinds of .22 ammo. I onced owned a SIG Mosquito and that pistol was VERY PICKY on shooting .22 ammo. It would shoot very well with Hyper Velocity ammo and not the cheap .22 ammo which would jam up or stove pipe in the barrel. I sent this back three times and they finally gave me a new one and I sold it.
tommygun308

Postby keyman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:16 pm

Hey tig . . . It's been a while since you posted the question about the type of ammunition used for target and CC, but I don't think anyone answered you.

The Winchester white box has been excellent for target, but hollow points for CC. I also buy the Blazer Brass for target in my higher caliber guns, but Winchester hollow points for CC. They have performed well, and I would recommend them.

Now, as far as the guns . . . my two Bersas still get the five bullet rate. The longer I have them, the better I like them.
keyman

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks for the information Keyman! Do you have any feed problems with the hollowpoints? Some of the new hollowpoints have a huge cavity and they have little material to actually provide a curved surface on the head of the bullet. The sharp edge of some hollowpoints seem to grab everything as they pass by. I've found that some smoothing and polishing of the feed ramps will eliminate some problems. How many types of HP's have you put through yours? I really like the looks of this one. What do you think of the grip angle? Is it a natural pointer? Looks like it should be.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby keyman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi, tig . . . to be honest w/you, I've never fired any hollow points. That may not sound too bright, but I do have them in the gun for CC. I realize hollow points don't fire the same as regular bullets, but it never dawned on me to practice w/them. Here in the Dallas area, they cost a good bit more than the regular practice rounds.

The grip angle on mine makes it a natural pointer. It's like everyone says, just point it and shoot. My gun does shoot a little bit low, but after the first round I know how to aim it, and after that it hits the target pretty good.

I'm not real familiar w/the HPs, so I can't help you there. As far as the number of rounds through it . . . I'd say at least 400. I have other guns that I take to the range w/me, so I don't put too many rounds through all of them on every trip.

My oldest son lives in W. Palm Beach that has a Glock 23. He loves going to the range. He had a run-in w/a Pit Bull a few months ago, but that's another story. Probably not recommended to discuss on this site.

Regards . . . keyman
keyman

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Keyman, I can't tell you enough, as quickly as I can possibly say it, to get yourself out there with that pistol with a few different boxes of good hollowpoint loads to see how your pistol functions with them. I'm dead serious Brother! You can't (shouldn't) depend on your pistol with untested ammunition. Of all the different types of ammunition available, hollowpoint rounds can be the most unreliable because of their design faults. The edges of the hollowpoint ogive will catch on anything in the way. You don't need to be in a deadly situation where the reliability of your ammunition and firearm are in question. Especially when that uncertainty is due to your decision to not check your weapon for reliability with the ammunition you're carrying. I don't care how much the hollowpoint ammunition costs, you need to buy it and test no less than 50 rounds (minimum) of each brand. That's my preference though. The more the better.

Remember that the largest percentage of self defense shootings are at 15 feet or less. Your ability to point fire is real important and practicing at distances of that and less are very important. If you have issues with hollowpoints hanging up in your pistol, they make some excellent alternatives. Things like Corbon Power Balls and Glaser Silver Safety Slugs. They're much more expensive than standard hollowpoint rounds but aren't something to be doubted!! They'll do some serious damage when called upon to do so.

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going for you. Whatever you do, get some practice in with a few different brands of good hollow points.

Tig

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby keyman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Hey, tig,

Thanks for the good advice. Somehow, I never looked at it that way. I guess it was a matter of taking things for granted, and that can be deadly in a critical situation. I will talk to the people at the gun shop today to get some different hollowpoints. There are only two or three types you can get at WalMart, so I'll try some other brands from the gun store.

I need to go to the gun store anyway to see if they can set the sights on a Witness P Compact that I bought from them. It is a fine gun, but I think the sights are off a tad.

I'll get back to you as soon as I fire some of the hollowpoints. Thanks for your reply . . . . regards . . . keyman.
keyman

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:37 pm

Good deal! I'm happy to hear that you're going to do that. It's so important to do that. Standard ball ammo, the kind you've been using is generally reliable but it won't expand in the target and penetration is usually very deep, sometimes too deep. Deep like right through!! If you can get your hands on these hollowpoints, I think you'll be pleased with their performance: Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Silvertips and some Federal Hydra Shoks. Those are three good quality rounds worth trying and I guarantee are going to make any bad guy say OUCH...

Keep in touch! Good luck... Tig

tigwelder56

Postby keyman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:18 pm

OK, tig . . . I did it, and the little hummer passed w/flying colors ! ! I buy 99% of my ammo a/Wal Mart, so I used the Winchester Hollow Points. Not a glitch one out of 25 rounds. I'll do some more the next time I go.

While I was there, I did the same for three other pistols, and all had the same good result. I did other rounds besides the hollows, so by the time I got through, got home and cleaned all four weapons, this is one tired old fart ! !

Thanks again, for your concern, I really appreciate it. That's taught me a good lesson. Five more bullets for this sweet little gun.

By the way, what's your feeling on carrying a 380 w/hollow points if you feel the gun is dependable ? ?
keyman

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:27 pm

I feel a 380 with hollowpoints is a good carry gun, provided you're good with it. If any caliber of pistol wasn't reliable, I wouldn't care if it was a 45acp. If you couldn't guarantee a follow up shot, you've got nothing better or worse than a single shot. I carry a .32acp Seecamp 75% of the time, I also carry a .380acp AMT and a Glock 23 40SW the rest of the time. As we have all said more than once, if the pistol is easy to carry, you'll probably always carry it. But if it's heavy, hard to conceal and inconvenient, there will be more chances that you'll leave it at home. So get good with your Bersa, find the round it likes the best and keep it clean. I'm very pleased to hear that you were able to find several new rounds that proved reliable in your pistols. Keep us informed regarding your future success with that pistol. It's proving to be a very good handgun at a very good price.

tigwelder56

Postby keyman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Thanks, tig, . . . I'll keep in touch.
keyman

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols