>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Bersa Thunder Conceal Carry Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:07 pm

Hello,

I'm going to ask you to try a couple of things to see what's going on. First, do you have a digital caliper? You can buy one relatively inexpensively online. Whenever I have had a problem with a semi auto failing to feed, the first thing I do is measure the overall length of the round I'm shooting. Usually you'll find that a bullet (round) that is a millimeter or two different from one that fires reliably is the culprit. Don't always think that ball ammo is going to fire more reliably in a semi auto than a hollowpoint either! Many times ball ammo is longer than hollowpoints and will jam up faster than their HP counterpart. First thing I would do is purchase three different makes of ammo, for this test anyway. Measure them all to be sure they are all consistent in length. Don't buy 50 round boxes if you can spend less and get a 20 round box for the tests. Don't buy junk ammunition either. Stick to a good quality ammunition. I suggest, Speer Gold Dot HP's, Corbon HP's and a Hornady XTP HP. They are all excellent products but can perform differently in every gun. The Bersa is a good gun, some people don't like them but my Father in Law has one that I bought for him and it digests anything put in it. I wouldn't count your pistol out just yet, it sounds to me like it wants you to find out what works best!! Every firearm has a character of its own! Another thing I'd like you to do is to take a Dremel tool and polish the feed ramp all bright and shiny!! It could be that it's a little rough and needs a little polishing. You'll be surprised how much more reliable it makes your semi auto pistol. Just polish it, don't grind it! All of this won't take you much time at all and I guarantee that it will improve the reliability of your pistol. The Bersa 380 is a self defense gun. When you find the ammunition that it likes, stick with it. If you want a pistol to go out and blow up beer bottles and jugs of water, I suggest you purchase a nice 22. They're a lot of fun too!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Jay1958 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:15 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems with the T380CC! I've never had any problems with mine in 800 rounds, except for Remington green box FMJ and Fiocchi JHP. As tigwelder56 mentioned, the problem with the Remington rounds was that they were shorter than the other brands. Not sure what the problem with the Fiocchi JHP was, just didn't buy anymore after that one box. Magtech FMJ is known to be a good solid test round for the Bersas, so is the S&B FMJ. I have fired Winchester SilverTip, WWB, Speer GoldDot, Federal HydraShok, Magtech, S&B, Fiocchi FMJ, and more thru mine without any problems whatsoever.

Good luck! I hope you get it figured out. The Bersas are great little pistols! Mine does sub-3-inch groups at seven yards, standing offhand.
Jay1958

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:58 am

Jay, I can positively tell you that the reason for your problems with the Fiocchi HP's is that they're too long. I own a Seecamp 32 and they're finiky about the ammunition they like. Used to be that Larry (Seecamp) only recommended Winchester Silvertip HP's. But Winchester changed their manufacturing process and the Silvertip round ended up any number of millimeters longer than the original round. That subsequently made the Silvertip round much less reliable than it used to be. After spending some time measuring everything that went into my Seecamp, I found that my gun loved the Gold Dot HP. The other recommended load was the Fiocchi 60 Grain HP which didn't perform perfectly. If my self defense pistol and its load isn't performing perfectly then I'm not satisfied, at all. Once I started measuring everything I found the Fiocchi ammunition was as much as two millimeters longer than the Win. Gold Dot HP's that worked "perfectly". So like the ladies say, length does matter, but this time too long is too much!!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby JMGHOLSTERS » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:32 am

Amazing little gun. Ive had a PPK and I currently have a Kel Tec P3AT. I bought this gun for my girlfriend on her birthday and I am impressed. No FTFs or any sort of problems and the gun is extremely accurate compared to the PPK I had. The recoil is minimal compared to my Kel Tec and for the price, it cannot be beat.
JMGHOLSTERS

Postby bigdave » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:45 pm

Great little 380. It is my primary carry gun. I've had no problems at all.
bigdave

Postby bigdave » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:30 pm

Went to the range to shoot my 380 today. I had a round that missfed. I dropped the mag, cleared the round and reloaded it in with 8 rounds in the next mag. It fed and fired just fine second time around. This litle gun recoils more than I was expecting. By the way I have arthritis very bad in my hands and can not handle much recoil.
bigdave

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi Dave,

It'll take one or two hundred rounds to break it in. It's not uncommon to have an occasional failure to feed, or a failure to eject with a new semi automatic. As for your arthritis I'd suggest purchasing a shooting glove. It'll add some extra wrist support and most of them will add some welcome padding in the palm.

tigwelder56

Postby GlockRocker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:08 am

How easy is this gun to take down and clean? I've only ever owned Glock pistols. I'm looking to get a conceal weapon for my wife, but she needs a safety so she can carry it her purse.

Any input is appreciated.

GR
GlockRocker

Postby Jay1958 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:29 pm

The Bersa T380CC is very easy to take down and clean. As with most fixed barrel handguns, the slide is pulled back, lifted up at the rear and then goes forward for removal. The barrel is permanently attached to the frame.

Once the slide is removed, you clean as with any other handgun, then when finished, oil/lube and reassemble.
Jay1958

Postby keyman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:19 pm

I have one of these 380s and also a Bersa 45. I think they are the best guns for the money, bar none. The 380 shoots a little low, but like most guys say . . . it's probably a short circuit between the brain and the trigger finger! ! Most of my rounds are Winchester white box from WallyWorld, but, so far, no failures of any kind.

As you might know . . . the prices keep going up. Here in the Dallas area mine cost $218.00 a little over a year ago. They now sell for about $270.00. You'd better get one while they are priced right.
keyman

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols