>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Bersa Thunder Conceal Carry Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby agonist » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:19 pm

Personally I would carry fmj ammo in your Bersa. The .380 is known to have issues with penetration through heavy clothing at longer distances.

I would opt for fmj in anything lighter than 9mm. In 9mm I use hollowpoints but only in the 124gr or 147gr bullet weight.

If I'm carrying my little .25acp I only use jacketed bullets as penetration with no expansion is better than no penetration at all.

Perhaps you may want to take into consideration the season. Hollowpoints in warm weather and jacketed in winter when heavier clothing is worn.
agonist

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:59 pm

I agree to a point, due to some limitations or requirements. Many small semi autos are limited to FMJ ammunition. My AMT 380 Back Up is one of those pistols that recommends FMJ only and I agree. HP's in that thing are about as reliable as my ex wife. I absolutely agree with FMJ's only in .25acp's. HP's in them are about as useful as a pellet gun in a gun fight. There are some small auto's, like my Seecamp .32, that will only handle HP's and only in 60 grain (Speer Gold Dot HP's). If you have a choice, I think that you should take every opportunity to make a head shot with these mouseguns. I really don't consider the Bersa Thunder to be a mousegun but there are those that would consider the .380acp under powered, I don't. Many European police agencies used nothing but .32 acp's for decades. Some still do. My favorite phrase when talking about this issue continues to hold true: "Shot placement trumps caliber, everytime".
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby ShootSS » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks Tig, Ag,

I have been considering this very thing (shooting FMJ's in the FireStorm .380), for the very same reasons you gave. Great minds think alike it appears.

I have seen the ballistics for both the .380 HP's and the FMJ's and some of the FMJ's actually do meet the FBI standard of 12 inches of penetration. (Easy boys, I'm talking about balistic gel penetration.) Most of the HP's fall short of this standard. The Fiocchi HP does meet this FBI standard (or so it is claimed) and guess which brand of HP .380 I cannot find on the internet?

You guessed it.

Must be a conspiracy.
ShootSS

Postby Pugdog » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:46 pm

I picked up a Colt Mustang Plus II and have been verry pleased with its performance. Friends have Kel-Tecs that have had issues.
Pugdog

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:11 pm

I think the Colt Mustang model is a fine handgun. I look at it like it's a baby 1911. If you carry a 1911 .45acp as your primary, the Mustang would be a terrific choice for a back up gun. But this thread is about the Bersa Thunder and it is also a very reliable semi auto. It's an attractive pistol, low recoil, handles both FMJ and HP loads with a sufficient magazine capacity to provide ample return fire. It offers a lot of upgrades for a pistol in this price range. The external thumb safety also serves as a decocker, which is a nice feature! It also has magazine disconnect safety. For some this is very desireable but for others they'd rather it didn't come that way.

Overall, this is a fine pistol. The cost is as good as it gets for a pistol in this class! I think that anyone shopping on a budget deserves to give this handgun a serious look.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Whizzard » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Just put my first hundred rounds through the CC. Picked it up at a gun show - even though it wasn't the gun I was looking for it felt pretty good and was a good deal.

It's a pleasant shooter without a lot of kickback (not surprising for a .380) and doesn't seem too fussy with what kind of ammo I use. At first I was concerned it would feel too small in my hand to control, but all rounds were withing an 9" round. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for deep conceal weapon.
Whizzard

Postby fiveoglock » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:07 pm

The gun is horrid. Get a Glock
fiveoglock

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:30 pm

I respectfully disagree! I have plenty of experience with this manufacturer and know many gun owners that swear by their pistols. I'm not paid by Bersa to boost their ratings or reviews, just a satisfied customer. I can't even begin to quantify the number of people that own one and like it well enough to protect their life with it.

I respect your right to criticize anything, but when you do, especially in a forum like this, please include some qualifying information with your disdainful remarks. Thank you.

tigwelder56

Postby gunnutz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:22 pm

I couldn't agree more on the quality and dependability of Bersa and Firestorm handguns. My Bersa .380 ate any and all types of ammo, with out a problem, I sold it to a friend at 5000 rounds, he still shoots it, the only replacement he made was a return spring!
gunnutz

Postby breez4u » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:17 pm

As I mentioned before, I said I would post after 500 rounds. Due to availability of 380 (lack of) i have shot this CC only about 300 to 400 rounds, I have not had a FTF or FTE. I don't carry this as often since I found other arms that have more power and can easily conceal but routinely carry (CC380) with light clothing or sweat pants.

I wish the safety could be moved easier however, stats show I will never use this in public.

Totally reliable!!
breez4u

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols