>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec PF-9 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Rec_Shooter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:10 pm

Update from earlier post. CandS weapon systems still doesn't have a kydek PF9 holster yet, though I beleive the delay is in actually getting a PF9. My Size 1 uncle mike holster that I thought I ordered never came in, but also I never got charged sot that was a wash. In the end I bought a Uncle Mikes Size 36 Open Style, Inside the pant holster from a local sports store. (sports Authority, AKA Garts Sports). Product number 8936-1, Right Hand. It works great. I tested it out hiking up and down a local mountain. also with light jogging , and jeans and belt carry. Works great. The PF 9 has officially replaced my P32 as a primary summer carry. While hiking the shorts were draw string and tie only and the gun rides low enough in the holster to be firmly held in place, and tight enough tot he body to be easily concealed with a t-shirt only. So my summer carry needs have been met. For 10 bucks instead of 50 too boot.

Note: the holster packaging identified it as being for 2 inch or small 5 shot revolvers too include the Ruger SP-101, and S&W J frames. The holster formed around the PF 9 just fine though.

Also have about another 100 rounds through it. Veryhappy with this purchase.

On to rating. I had held off rating it until I had more experience. While fit and finish are a bit rough I will not ding it for this. Your not paying for fit and finish. It has however had no issue other than with 147 grain Golden saber HP. So I will go with a 4 out of 5. Would be nice if feeding would handle heavy HP's right out of the box. I am sure the well known Kel tec fluff and buff would resolve this though.
Rec_Shooter

Postby gunnutz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:24 pm

I bought a top break holster for my P32 from Ray's holsters he is on line but I alyas call and talk with Ray or Carol. The holster is made by Ray and is perfect! I wanted a top break becayse the gun is so lite I didn't know is it fell out or not. 30 bucks for custom work!
gunnutz

Postby ratshooter » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:58 pm

For you folks who are looking for a holster for your Kel-Tecs you might try simplyrugged.com. They have a selection of pocket and belt slide pancake holsters that seem to be reasonably priced. They are made of leather also which is a plus to me. Tom the ratshooter.
ratshooter

Postby thinktwice » Sat May 12, 2007 8:42 pm

I have a P-11 and like it alot except the trigger pull. Is it better on the PF-9? Also from the dimensions it looks like the P-11 will conceal better, but the PF-9 is a good bit lighter,am I right? Which one do you guys prefer?
thinktwice

Postby Idahoser » Sun May 13, 2007 1:04 am

The P11 and PF9 are practically identical in all dimensions except thickness, where the PF9 is thinner. Don't know where you'd get the idea it would be harder to hide than a P11. Still too big for pocket carry.

Should be the same trigger as the P3AT, not bad for what it is.
Idahoser

Postby stecan » Tue May 22, 2007 5:23 pm

I bought a Kel-Tec PF 9 in april this year,,it is a very nice pistol for the money,I have shot about 75 riunds through it,it didnt jam at all,but when I took it home to clean it I found what looked like a chunk of material missing from the frame,then I seen it laying on the table were I was cleaning it,,I got a hold of kel-tec and they said that when I was cleaning it I must have fired the hammer while the slid was off,,you have to cock the hammer back have way to get the slid back on,and I must have let the hammer go and it broke the chunck of material form the from of the frame,kel-tec said it will not affect the pistol at all,so watch out how you clean this pistol,,the part is not under warrenty.
stecan

Postby 2protect » Tue May 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Stecan-- Sorry to here they would not help.

I have had mine for several months and I believe I can sum up the pistol just a bit. The stationary sights on mine are so far off that even with the shims its a lost cause. A seven shot six inch group at 25ft is not much to ask for is it? Well I had a hard time even getting that with mine. I finally broke down and got a laser for the thing, and figured out why the accuracy sucked. When the barrel was cool I could get about three rounds really tight, but as the rounds heated the thing up, the spread got wider and wider. I tried this several times, let the thing cool down for about 20 minutes, fire several rounds, same result. First three to four rounds ok, last three to four bad.. Lets face its guys/gals, this is what it is, a really low cost firearm. I guess for $250 you get what you pay for.. Yes it has never jammed, and it has only missed fired about three times out of the last 500 rounds. The Only reason I carry it is because its light, small, and a nine. I pray I will never have to depend on it for anything farther then 10ft away or more then a couple of rounds. Also, how hard is to but a safety on the darn thing. There should be a law that requires all firearms to have a manual safety switch.

I think someone here mentioned something about some pistols are only good for suicide, I think this could be one of those.

I.M.H.O.
2protect

Postby epwrangler » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:00 am

What do you want a safety for on a gun like this, to protect the bad guy? If you really need one of these the last thing you want to do is fumble with a safety as you die. Point and shoot is what it is for. The ultimate safety is a trained owner.
epwrangler

Postby 2protect » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:53 pm

There is always at least one troll under every bridge..

I do not feel comfortable keeping one hot in the camber unless there is some sort of manual safety. Yes, don't pull the trigger type safety is not enough. How much more could a manual safety actually add to the cost? $30-$50 tops. So to answer your question, flicking a safety is a hell of a lot faster then cambering a round. Even the best training can not compensate for human error..
2protect

Postby 2protect » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:07 am

I should not have mentioned anything about mandatory safety locks here on this forum, I apologize. I should have just said I will be more selective when purchasing firearms. To get into it any further here would be trolling, Lesson learned.

Face facts, the pf9 is a nice backup, not primary. I would not carry it without something I could trust as well. I would not expect anything more for only $250. It is, what it is.
2protect

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols