>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec PF-9 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Rec_Shooter » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:10 am

I have an additional post below. I have had no issues with this gun. Probably only have about 250 rounds through it. This comment is more about carry. After having carriered both a P-32 a lot and trying this one a lot, I would say that this is not a replacement for the P3AT or P32. I have found it is just a bit to big. I still carry my P32 when dressed up as I can tuck a shirt inside and its still not visible. This seems to fill a role inbetween the deep carry of the P3AT and P32 and a larger double stack G23 or Compact XD size hand gun. It also fits well into a coat pocket.

I am happy with my purchase and I beleive this little guns benifits will be seen more when carrying in summer months. Also I am waiting for the Kel-Tec release of the carry-clip to finish it off. If I was going to wear a leather or kydex holster with a belt or strong waistband, I would carry a doublestack compact or something with a bit more rounds/punch.
Rec_Shooter

Postby ANTI-XD » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:34 am

if you can speand just 100 dollars more and get a kahr then they must be pricing the little kel-tec's WAY TO HIGH now don't get me wrong I love kel-tec's now but they shouldn't be over 350 and that is high high end price
ANTI-XD

Postby gbuddyjoe » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:25 am

Give the gun a few months for kel tec to get the production to full scale and then watch the price fall. I imagine that in less then a year you will find these little beauties will be $250 or less.
gbuddyjoe

Postby Rec_Shooter » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:16 pm

Several posts below as well

I own PF-9. I bought it brand new for $270. It has fed and functioned without issue. Carries well in IWB holster, and I am looking forward to Kel-Tec releasing the carry-clip for the side. A $350 price tag sounds more like an issue with the gun dealer then the Gun manufacturer.
Rec_Shooter

Postby steamer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:42 pm

I have 2 PF-9s now. I also have the P-3AT and the P-32. I like this gun (PF-9) much better than the P-11 which I returned to dealer for refund after to 2 malfunctions. PF-9 has a much better trigger. Yes, a bit snappy with the recoil compared to my Glocks and Springfield 3". No malfunctions of feeding or ejecting, with couple of hundred rounds through each one. I carry IWB in a Bianchi leather holster. Hides nicely. I still carry the P-3AT much more due to light weight and concealabilityfor business dress, but the PF-9 is a very likeable gun that I've grown to trust. I also have the Kahr PM9, which has visited the factory twice, and still fails to feed every first round, and since I don't carry hot with a round chambered, it is a real concern. NO such issue with the PF-9. By the way, Kel-tec customer service is 1 week turnaround vs. Kahr's 3 weeks. I even got to talk to the gunsmith at Kel-tec to disucss the issue with my returned P-3AT. Kahr told me my PM9 "can't be fixed "due to the feed angle of the first round, and I'd have to live with it, which is what I've learned to do. Anyway, $279 for the PF-9 vs. $550 for my PM-9. That's why I bought 2 PF-9's, I like them so much. I really like Kel-tec.
steamer

Postby LITTLEMAMA » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:51 pm

I just got my ccw and am looking for a conceal weapon. Kel-Tec seems to be the way to go but not sure which model. Sugestions?
LITTLEMAMA

Postby Rec_Shooter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:03 am

LittleMama, all personal choice. and any comments here are opinions only. Here are mine, I carry several different guns for different reasons.

P-32 - Great mini carry. Use for situations where "I don't have a gun" Would suggest a P3AT for this purpose though. Only reason I have a P32 is I bought it pre P3AT) I carry with a Kel-Tec carry clip Inside the pants, and also in a desantis pocket holster. The kel-tec clip rides very low and is not immediately available (sub 2 second presentation). Lately I have been carrying quite often in the pocket. I carry this one the most.

PF9 - Medium carry, Currently carried with IWB holster. Looking to put the Kel-Tec carry clip on it once released. This is a light summer gun. (I live in AZ) I like it for this purpose, I can carry it with Sport shorts with a tight draw string around the waste. The kel-tec clip on this one should ride higher (See pics of a Keltec P11 for an idea on this) and provide better presentation.

Large carry Springfield XD 45AC Service model. Full size hand gun, but disappears well with a canted holster and heavy overshirt or light jacket Requires belt which limits clothing choice.

My opinion for first CCW pistol would be a Kel-Tec P3AT as you can carry it ALWAYS , and the gun you have with you is always the best one. Then work up the chain. But at the same time, Don't over look a full size you already have. A good belt and a quality holster will go a long way to making it comfortable.

Common quote time:

Carrying a gun should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable.

Happy shopping and hope this was helpful
Rec_Shooter

Postby emtself » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:00 am

I took my PF-9 out of the box it came in ....went to the range >>> first shot at 40 foot dead nuts>>>> shot about 50 rounds>>>> very!!!!!!! good weapon!!!! would trust my life on it !!!!!!! small frame >>light wt...>>> deadly!!!!!!!!
emtself

Postby Idahoser » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:56 am

I'd be surprised if that PF-9 didn't come out of the box bone-dry. They usually do, that's why they put that little bottle of lube in there. You really should field strip it, clean, and lube before shooting any new auto pistol.
Idahoser

Postby RWL » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:13 pm

This Tuesday I was in a local gun shop and was informed by them that the day before they recieved a shipment of PF-9s and that they might have one if I wanted it. After purchasing the gun, I fired it at the range finding that malfunctioned in ejection and loading the chamber. Kel-Tec customer service told me to bring the pistol there since I lived very close to their plant. While there I found out that it was of an earlier production. It seems obvious to me that the dealer did not receive the gun in a shipment this week but that perhaps it was a display model used in the shop to take orders. Kel-tec literally built in their shop while I waited a new PF-9 with the latest improvements. I believe that Kel-Tec is a good company with good products employing good people. I fired fifty rounds through it today with no malfunctions.
RWL

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols