>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec PF-9 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby fomoco73 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Missionx5

Although your problem have been much more severe then all ot the others posted, I don't blame you at all for being so disgusted. As I wrote before, I was an exception to the rule when it came to having no problems with my PF9 from day one. If my experience was as bad as the one you're having, I would feel the same as you. I hope you find a more suitable pocket pistol. Good luck.
fomoco73

Postby Missionx5 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Contacted KT today about my brand new gun. Three shots fired three failure to eject...jammed in tight against the next round. Took some work to get the shell out. Now they want me to foot the bill for sending it back, this time with a receipt. "If we experience the same kind of failure we will refund your money." With Kel Tec I will believe it when I see it. I would say by now I have had enough experience with them to say they have some serious quality control issues. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.
Missionx5

Postby jackwebb182 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:57 pm

I don't get get it. Did you do a deburr? I did and I have NEVER had any kind of failure. I have fired many different kinds of ammo and not one malfunction. I LOVE this pistol!
jackwebb182

Postby smokinjoetex » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:32 am

I bought my pf 9 about 2 months ago and have run about 200 rds through it .The gun operated flawlessly! I did however take the gun completely down and cleaned it good and relubed it before i ever fired a round through it per my gunsmiths recommendation,in doing this i found metal shavings in various places.the gun is accurate and easy to operate.i have since put a hogue soft grip over the square patterns on the factory grip,it helps alot on a long day at the range!!
smokinjoetex

Postby Patriot1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Finally got my PF-9 a few days ago. This Sat I plan on putting some rounds through it, after a good clean and lube. First impressions of the gun are good; although I wish I could have gotten a ceracoated version; alas, none to be found in my area and I didn't feel like ordering one online this time. Pinky still hard to get on the grip even with the extension on the mag, but I do have x large hands. Can't wait to get her to the range!
Patriot1

Postby Patriot1 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Well got the PF-9 to the range today and I have to say I'm impressed. I ran 50 rounds of jhp through it with narry a problem, and 5 rounds of JHP. 100% so far. I had intended to at least lube the gun before its first session, but for some reason it totally slipped my mind.

The gun has a loud bark and a bit of a snappy recoil, but nothing unmanageable even though it will make your hand sore after a few mags. I fully expected a few jams in the "break-in", but none so far.
Patriot1

Postby smokinjoetex » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:44 am

well it has been a while since i last posted. Ihave bought anther firearm to add to the arsenal i have, it is a hi point 45acp carbine!!!i got it back in october and haven't been able to get to the range until 12/13 to shoot it!! well me and the wife grabbed the arsenal and 500 rds of 9mm and 45acp andheaded for the range and met another couple(retired naval 25year vets him and his better half) whom i talked into getting firearms for plinking and self defence!!! the pf 9 functioned flawlessly as did both of my hi points pistol and carbine!!! wow the carbine has no felt recoil what so ever and my wifey loved it and claimed it as her gun of choice...oh well until later guys!!!
smokinjoetex

Postby Patriot1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Well I have about 150 rounds through the PF 9 at this point, so still kinda in the break-in stage. I have had 2 failures to feed, both when the gun was dirty, plus a ton of various malfunctions with NATO surplus rounds from Winchester. The poor little guy obvisouly didn't like those rounds! Switched back to the cheapy federals and it's been fine ever since. I plan on running some mild handloads through it soon.
Patriot1

Postby hillside » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 pm

PF9 solutions from an amateur gun smith... I'm glad that some of you got units that were within spec's, however it would seem that Keltec CNC needs better quality control. I got an "out of spec and there fore unreliable gun, but have been able to spend time and effort in diagnosing and solving it's problems.

It's warranteed, but after 90 days you must ship ups or fedex overnight and in NYS you probably need to retrieve it from a dealer and pay the paperwork... ends up being the better part of $100. BTW - it's illegal to take or ship a firearm to any USPS!!! And it will be 4 weeks before they will look at it...

First problem - after firing the spent round jambed against the nose of the next round. Solution was the center rail of the slide was machined too short allowing the mag round to ride too high too soon. Keltec replaced the slide for me when I sent the slide and barrel.

Got it back.. fired OK in warm weather, but jambed or did not chamber in cold weather. Solution was the 2 barrel / slide springs were too tight and did not allow the slide to go all the way back to allow proper chambering. Don't permanantly remove one spring as it may eventually damage the slide or frame and cause damage. It is possible to shorten the inner spring 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch (not recommended) or better yet request new springs from Keltec.

I got a +1 clip extender ... it often fails to chamber the last round - solution it to manually stretch the mag spring so the last round has enough lift.

Fobus holster with this gun is great, but can not be used with laser or light. I prefer under-the-arm holster.

My next comparative gun is the Ruger lc9.
hillside

Re: Kel-Tec PF-9 Reviews

Postby GOANRA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:20 pm

I got one of the early Kel-Tec PF9s years ago. I always strip & clean my firearms before even thinking of firing them.
I ran a couple hundred rounds of +P ammo through it within a few days.

used to be Kel-Tecs needed "Fluff & Buffs", like others in their price range, but I found 200 rounds of hot ammo breaks them in nicely.
The PF9 is ultra-thin, 12 oz, 7+1 with a 3 inch bbl.

I am retired LEO and I love this thing, only 9mm I own. It was made for self defense, not a range gun.
I prefer .45acp, less than 1 inch thick, 22 oz max weight, with short grip for concealment.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Previous

Return to Pistols